925 Type Not Printing on Bottom of Block

B9Creator - Ideas and Discussions
Greg Miller
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

925 Type Not Printing on Bottom of Block

Post#1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:10 am

Question: I printed a small block in emerald resin with 925 type on the bottom of a block snapped to the floor. When printed the type on the bottom of the block does not appear and what was a 3mm thick STL prints as 2.6mm thick..why? I know I can use supports etc.

Problem: How can I get the type to appear with the bottom of the block sitting on the floor?

Is this not possible with the B9 v1.2?

In the STL the number 925 was repeated in 3 pt sizes 5pt, 6pt, 7pt. and 4 different depths 1mm, 1.5mm and 2.0mm deep in a 3mm thick block.

I added the simple STL if someone can assist with a solution.

Greg...
Attachments
B9 Font Test 925.stl
(3.77 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
Top_B9_Font_Test_925.jpg
Back_B9_Font_Test_925.jpg
Last edited by Greg Miller on Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rkundla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: 925 Type Not Printing on Bottom of Block

Post#2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:21 pm

I'd guess that the base layers having a higher exposure time over normal layers are over-curing enough that it will wipe out a small 5 point font (which is less than 2 mm tall) just as much as a 7 point font (2.5 mm).

You can't print detail on the layers that need to adhere to the build plate with any bottom-up SLA/DLP printer. Maybe it can be done with a top down printer?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Actually, these printers are known for getting excellent detail when printing flat on the platform.
If the detail is not there, then there is something wrong with the printed.
Maybe Mike can jump in and let us know.

Greg Miller
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks for the replies.

We make a lot of flat backed pendants so printing them snapped to the floor was one of the main objectives in purchasing the B9.

Needless to say this is an unexpected obstacle.

Hopefully someone can offer a solution to this dilemma?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Try lowering the msm... and see what that does. I think that might work

Greg Miller
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:14 pm

I tried lowering the MSM to 0.09 from the default of 1.0 and the result was slightly less faint. Then lowered to 0.8 and it went back to the faint result from the default 1.0.

The B9 West Coast seller said: "The reason that 0.4mm is missing from the model is the software will push the model into the build table to make sure the print sticks to the build table. We recommend a foundation layer to account for the lost area which at default is 0.5mm."

Just ordered a SuperCarver mini engraving laser for $75 USD to add type/logos to the back of flat back printed models.

rkundla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:34 pm

I assume you are going to use that engraver on the resin prints, right? :D

I'll be curious to hear how well it works for you since it is a pretty novel approach and might give you some more design flexibility.

Greg Miller
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 am

Sorry rkundla taking so long to reply.

The small laser did not have sufficient power and my desktop mills were overkill so I picked up a 'mini' Jedi CNC mill "completely assembled". https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JEDI-CN ... 87914.html

Can't believe what you get for $175 CDN including shipping. The Jedi is great for engraving emerald resin and comes with a grbl controller "and" Artcam8. Works just like my bigger mills. I've been using Artcam since version 3 so all I had to do was tweak the feed and depth of cut for the resin. I used Fimo modelling clay to hold the model instead of a vise and used a tiny 12mm diameter bulls eye level to make sure the back of the model was square with the engraving bit.

This was actually a lot of fun working with this tiny unit sitting in front of me on my computer desk beside the mouse. :)

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:20 pm

Flip it over. Print with text on top surface.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Return to “General Discussion”