Grey!

General material & B9Resin discussions
Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Grey!

Post#1 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:34 pm

At long last, Grey is released!

Is there an ETA for the material settings (or a software update that includes it in the materials library) for the Creator v1.2?

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Grey!

Post#2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Nevermind. It seems B9 has no intention of putting out settings for the Creator. I had a feeling that the Core series would result in getting thrown under the bus.

B9_Sales
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#3 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi all! Nicole here with the B9C team.
Our new Gray resin was created specifically for its high speeds on the Core Series. Gray resin was not developed for the B9Creator because it is based on shortening cure time, not mechanical movement. The speed of the gray resin would not provide substantial benefit to Creator users, considering most of the print time calculations are based upon the mechanical movements of the machine. So, if you are using our B9R-2-Black resin, you are getting the same benefits of the gray. If you want gray for your B9Creator, you can still create manual settings, of course!

We appreciate our B9Creator customers, it's because of you that we are where we are, and we always appreciate feedback from you on how we can serve you better. If you have any questions we're always here.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:32 pm

Given that it takes a lot of prints to dial in those settings from nothing, and resin is not cheap, that is a less than optimal situation. My irritation is only about 25% due to not being able to use the resin, and 75% the lack of communication from B9 that its new material would not be compatible with the the B9 Creator. I delayed ordering more resin (and so have delayed work on several projects) in anticipation of this material. I contacted B9 directly to find out when it was being released; at no time did anybody say, "Oh, by the way, we're only making it for the Core series" which would have resulted in ordering more black immediately instead of waiting.

The black has one huge problem- it's black. I use my printer for scale models. I have to remove the print lines and imperfections before molding in silicone. This is really hard to do in a jet black material, which requires painting with a color that makes these things more visible. I had hoped that the grey would eliminate this step. (I had also hoped that it allowed for thinner slicing, and maybe had a little less z-bleed, but those would have been bonuses over the color.) I've also found that the translucency of other colors makes them equally difficult to use in this way.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:19 am

Just to append what I've posted here, I got word on Facebook from B9 that they are looking into developing B9 Creator settings for the grey resin.

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 am

Bexley wrote:Just to append what I've posted here, I got word on Facebook from B9 that they are looking into developing B9 Creator settings for the grey resin.

Good to hear!

scottkeatingdesign
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I agree! I just ordered the Grey resin and now I just read here that it is not suitable for the creator. Bad communication! I have waited also on ordering till the Grey came out. Can I use the "Black" settings or should I just return it (if I can, even though it is unopened....)?

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:04 pm

scottkeatingdesign wrote:I agree! I just ordered the Grey resin and now I just read here that it is not suitable for the creator. Bad communication! I have waited also on ordering till the Grey came out. Can I use the "Black" settings or should I just return it (if I can, even though it is unopened....)?

I don't understand this complaint. when i look at the products page showing all materials there's a big red 'X' next to "creator" under the grey resin, indicating they do not yet have support for grey on creators. and a big green check next to "core" indicating it does have support for the grey. where are you guys ordering from where you aren't seeing this?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Aaron, where did u see that chart. When u go to the Grey resin and click I dont' see a chart.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:58 am

it's before you even click the resin.

http://www.b9c.com/products/materials

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Got it. Do think it should be more easily seen, but it is there.

Robert Howle

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:37 am

I don't believe that was there originally when Grey launched. I may be wrong about that, but I'd been checking the site weekly for several months looking for it to be released and never saw it.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#13 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:27 pm

My fist print with Grey. Had a customer that needed a try on and show model ASAP. He is only 5 miles from my store and shop. He sent me the file and I printed the model before he got to my shop. Printed at 90 microns on the Core 530. Printed in 17 min. I was very surprised at the quality of a 90 micron print.

The grey will prob be my go to resins for quick prints and mold making. It is really firm like a hard plastic. Almost no tacky surface after print and cleaning in hot water and Dawn in the ultrasonic. Only cured 3 min in Model Cure and was very hard and no tack to surface at all. I Don't use ISO. But do as the company recommends on print finishing. B9 and Core users have developed different techniques over the years for cleaning and ultrasonics vary in strength. New users should follow suggested methods until they are familiar with the printers and resins.

Grey 1.jpg

Grey 2.jpg

Robert Howle

B9_Sales
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#14 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,
We've just released instructions for how to add Gray settings to your B9Creator.
Instructions: https://www.b9c.com/hubfs/Support%20Documents/Gray%20Resin%20Settings%20How%20To%20for%20Creator.pdf

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 am

!!!

Looks like I'll be ordering some resin today. Thanks!

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#16 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:52 am

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why it's not part of an update to the B9C software? (Or will it be included next update?)

B9_Sales
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#17 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:10 pm

We currently do not have any future plans to update the B9Creator software.

Return to “Materials”