third party resin for Core 550

General materials & resin discussions
User550

third party resin for Core 550

Post#1 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:57 am

I like to try a third party resin on Core 550. In the Creative software (the basic version), when I add new resin, I have options for exposure (mJ/cm2), thickness (30-100um), and color. Are there any directions for these parameters? How does 'color' affect the printing process? Thank you!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: third party resin for Core 550

Post#2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:48 pm

What kind of third party resin are u considering. If u ruin the vat you will be out $1000.00.

What type of out put material are u interested in?

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

User550

Post#3 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:39 am

Hi Robert, I try to formulate some acrylic resins with certain pigments myself. There is little information about how to set up the exposure/layer thickness/color.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:43 pm

There would be no way for anyone to suggest settings for a material they no nothing about. The core series was developed to work with non solid pigments (which cause settlement problems) so throw those out if using them.

You might try going to other forums where users have been experimenting with 3rd party or "custom" formulas.

I really don't think anyone is going to be able to help with any type of "cook book" resin mixture u might come up with.

I would suggest u experiment on a B9 original printer because u might destroy a 60 dollars vat and coating vs. a 1,000 dollar one.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#5 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:04 am

Color is not important, it's just a color that's displayed on the screen that typically matches the resin color.

Slice thickness should be self explanatory, it's just the thickness of each layer formed as you print. Typically the thicker the layer, the lower the "Z" resolution, but the faster it prints.

Exposure dose, in mJ/cm2, is the amount of energy used to form the layer. If you are experimenting with resins, you should already know the dose required to achieve a certain layer thickness. If not, start low and build up. If you under dose you will have a print failure, if you overdose you risk damaging the vat (but it's a small risk).

Other than the overdosing risk, the other (bigger) risk to the vat is if your material has abrasive particles in it.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

User550

Post#6 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:13 am

Thank you mikej and Robert for the helpful replies. I noticed that the exposure time for the first few layers is longer. Does the program treat the first few layers differently in terms of thickness and exposure?

Is the original B9 vat compatible with core 550 printer? Or do you think it possible to print/make an experimental vat for core550? We have basic machining capabilities and a variety of silicones/chemicals.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#7 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:46 am

The printer treats every layer differently, part of our patented method for increasing print speed.

The old vat tech is not compatible with the Core series vat.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

User550

Post#8 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:11 am

OK. Thank you mikej!

Return to “General”