Set gems in B9 prints before casting? ("stone in place casting")

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:26 am

Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords but I couldn't find this in searching the Forums yet...

Is anyone putting gems in the cured B9 prints and then casting with gems in place? Apparently it's not an uncommon practice here in India, putting gems in the wax before casting, and we occasionally get asked if that will work with B9.

If so, any details would be helpful, or even emphatic yes or no's or 'it depends'es.

Many Thanks!
ZLab3d, printing with B9Creator 1.1 & 1.2 since 2013

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#2 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:55 am

I think you may need to experiment with this. If it is necessary to burn out at 1350 oF or above to make sure the B9 resin is burned away, Then you probably can't pre-set diamonds and other stones in the resin as I believe the investment for stone in place casting is different and the burnout is not as high a temperature. If I remember , they only burn out for stone in place casting at around 1150 oF so not to damage the diamonds or other stones.
You can certainly try it with your stones :-)

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:14 am

Although you'd need some stones to do it with anything expensive! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:37 am

Thanks Metalcaster, good technical ideas to crunch on. Rabs1, good point! though a lot of the jewellery here features lots of tiny tiny gems, maybe some lesser quality samples can be volunteered to test by associates after thorough pre-planning ie temps and investments.

form
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:57 pm

Try cubic zirconia - they are cheap and actually handle the slow ramp up heat from casting quite well. I think diamond will crystallise but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. With cz don't quench after casting (allow to cool naturally) and give the cz's a small amount of extra movement in the resin (not too tight) as if the setting is too tight they can shatter.
In- situ casting is interesting. Some of the big casting houses are also placing stones into the rubber mold first then injecting the wax around it.

RGGoldsmiths
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Set gems in B9 prints before casting? ("stone in place casting")

Post#6 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:08 pm

We've been doing a lot of cast-in-place pieces recently.

We tried doing some with the cherry resin, and I'm fairly confident that it's not a completely viable solution.
The burnout temperature (as Metalcaster stated) is generally quite a bit lower for cast in place pieces, and at those temperatures, the resin doesn't burn out very well and you get a lot of pitting.

If we're casting diamonds in place, our burnout doesn't go any higher than about 1100 degrees F, with a casting temp of about 900.
For garnets and sapphires, we use a longer burnout at a lower temp (about 950 oF).

There are investments that are specifically designed for casting stones in place though (such as Kerr SatinCast Diamante), and we have some on order, and will definitely see if it's any better. Theoretically it allows slightly better heat protection for the stones, and somehow still allows all the benefits of Satin Cast 20.

And I second the statement about now setting stones too tightly in the wax/resin. You want a minimum amount of material touching the stone, because shrinkage can cause breakage. Also, if the stone is really set/melted into the wax, when the metal fills it, it will completely conform to the facets, causing it to look really weird (basically the metal will reflect light coming in through the top of the stone and will have a gold color instead of a bright diamond color).

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks RG and Daniel. Great info for myself and other distributors. Haven't been asked this before, but I'm sure at some point it will come up.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 am

@RG, thanks for the follow up, good info, I'll pass along to the colleagues who asked about this.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”