- Operation
- Troubleshooting
Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis movement malfunction b9 V1.1

Post#1 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:05 am

Hello,

Trying to figure out why the X asis movement suddenly starts moving only part way of the travel...

Starts out print by moving full travel from left to right, but after a few minutes into print starts moving only part way, thus PDMS does not have enough time to breath and burns up and part sticks, damaging PDMS.

Arm is tight on the motor, movement from left to right works fine manually via the switch...could this have to do with the photosensor malfunctioning?

Please help, have had to recoat vat multiple times, burns up and damaged after only one failed print. PDMS is perfect level, part does not appear to be dragging on the PDMS. Tray/arm mechanism is oiled and is not binding, but after each layer the tray sometimes only moves a small amount. Tried helping it by hand but does not change anything.

Thanks

joelh
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: X axis movement malfunction b9 V1.1

Post#2 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:07 pm

Hi Adrian,
Try the following and report back
https://b9c.freshdesk.com/solution/arti ... nt-issues-

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Hello, thanks for the reply!

Removed uncured wet resin from inside rails (took them both off and cleaned with soapy water as well as the red tray.)

Regarding the encoder wheel and sensor, on this machine the sensor touches against (rubs and makes contact with) the wheel...

Does there need to be a gap as in the picture? If so I need to tweak it a hair...

Everything else checks out.

Hopefully this takes care of it, will update when I know more.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:42 pm

NO contact should be happening
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:04 pm

OK, used some tweezers to bend it back a bit.

Preparing a new vat and will update again later with the results.

Thanks for the help!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 pm

one more thing unplug every thing let it sit power, usb, etc.
then plug it all back in again and give it a try.

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 pm

No luck, works like a champ for about the first 15 minutes, then only moves part way.

It's almost like the software is telling it to stop. The motor is not straining at all, sounds smooth as silk.

When utilizing "pause print" it suddenly moves the whole way no problem.

Not going to ruin another batch of PDMS, aborting the print..

Something very odd going on, wish I had a clue. Mechanism appears to be fine.

Clean as a whistle and oiled the end of the arm and slot it moves in.

This printer has very low hours, not like it's the motor should be worn out or anything.

Again, very weird, seems as if it's being commanded to stop only part way by the software...Is that somehow possible?

Even if I try to push the vat by hand nothing changes, still stops way before it reaches the sensor.

Thanks for the help....Any other ideas?

marios.jewelry.service@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:03 am

I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the b9 software, while having the machine unplugged.

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:23 am

OK, I can try that, thanks Will also try a different USB cord along with that..

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:05 am

Same results.

Uninstalled software, reinstalled, everything was unplugged. New USB cord...

I wonder if I should try another version of the software? Hmmm.. Using latest 1.86...

Am going to submit support ticket and see if that helps.

Hoping I don't have to replace the motor, but I guess there is nothing else left.
Perhaps the encoder is the culprit.

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:28 am

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Ticket submitted.

Does anyone know if the 1.2 motor is compatible with version 1.1?

There is no ver 1.1 motor available in the shop that I can see... The picture looks slightly different but there are no close ups of the bottom.

In the meantime will attempt to carefully dis-assemble this one (if possible) to see if I can find anything obvious...

Would be great to get this back on line again, some important prototype work to finish.

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:55 am

OK, maybe I found something.

The three tiny screws that hold the gear assembly to the motor were loose.

This could be it! Will update later. Thanks

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm

OK, got it re-assembled...

Lubed the gears with a bit of synthetic oil while I had it apart.

So far so good...will see if it makes it through this print.

Due to the loose screws the gears were likely binding?

Ok, back to work!

Will post final update if/when print completes later tonight.

Thanks again to everyone!

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:05 pm

Nope, spoke too soon, started malfunctioning again after about 69 layers.

Gotta be the motor, but tech support suggested a big list of things, one is reinstalling the firmware,
will try that but guessing I need a new motor.

Still wondering if V1.2 motor in the shop would work with 1.1 or if not where I can find one?

Perhaps the tech support person will reply soon with that info.

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Tried complexity different computer.. Same exact results, starts to malfunction at EXACTLY 65 layers.

Does not make sense at all. My latest conversation with tech support seems to be pointing to possible firmware corruption issue, but no way to update/overwrite/reinstall that in the latest software version. (like we used to be able to in previous versions) There may be a workaround?
I may scan some old hard drives to see if I can find an older version of the software, since I can't find any online.

There is no way the x motor could function fine for exactly the same amount of layers and then begin to malfunction.. Too predictable IMO.
There must be a corruption in the firmware IMO. Will see if tech finds a way to address this.

Apparently the 1.2 motor can work in the 1.1 but certain adjustments need to be made to the software to make it work.

So waiting again to see what support has to say.. Am suspecting it has nothing to do with the motor after all?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Hi Adrian,
The 1.2 X motor is slightly more powerful and can replace the 1.1 motor. You will need to adjust the x motor in Settings/ printer settings. Change Z home offset settings to 10400. That is for the 1.2 motor. But, thats not your problem :-)

To solve the problem you are having, print a piece on each side of the platform (left to right). Now, it should slide the full extent .
When they added dynamic Vat positioning,they added an on/ off setting for it... but that setting in the OFF position apparently no longer turns it off and has been that way quite a while.
What happens is after about 15 minutes, it starts going 1/2 way if you only have pieces on 1 side.
So putting a piece, no mater how small on the other side, will trick the printer into sliding all the way.

Adrian_Garland
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Hello Metalcaster,

Thanks for the info. Starting to make sense now..

Yes I see that part of the confusion is the fact that the software no longer travels the X fully when printing in 50XY. Exactly as you say, for some reason after about 15 minutes it no longer moves the full distance in X. So that's a new algorithm I was not familiar with. I guess it's supposed to save time when printing at lower resolutions?

BUT yes was having a draggin issue in the X as well... I ended up taking apart the gear assembly one more time and cleaned off the grease and oil with brake parts cleaner, (the only thing that would dissolve the grease), soap and water, alcohol or acetone would not...

Once it was all spotless and de-greased I used lock-ease lock fluid, (basically spray on graphite that dries), gears can be tricky, and apparently the oil viscosity was slowing the gear mechanism down. (Does not take much, way under-powered to begin with). With the lock lube dry it turned super easy by hand before assembly. Now for sure it's running without drag, and for sure just like I thought the software tells the machine to go only partway. (about 65 layers into the cycle). I may order a new motor later anyways.

However, with any drag the short stroke causes issues with PDMS being able to breathe enough. (disaster)

I guess next print I can also extend the breathe cycle a bit just to be certain it gets to breath and does not burn up and stick.

Anyways, I did track down an older version of the software and it forced firmware update, so the firmware was not the issue. '

I guess like you say the "dynamic positioning" was supposed to be about? Wish it was working because clearing the resin properly lengthens the life of the PDMS.... (When it's properly swept off each cycle). Oh well.

In other words, would be great if that dynamic positioning switch actually forced the x to move the full length like it's supposed to?

The latest version of the software works great otherwise, I did calibration test print and came out 100 stellar at 50xy..

But whatever programmer decided it would be a good idea not to move the vat the entire way to save a few milliseconds needs to please fix ASAP IMO> Really bad idea.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#18 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 pm

Adrien,
I removed my wiper and moved it to the other side of the vat then made sure the flap was opening towards the vat window on my 1.1.
What that did was continued to mix the resin during a print and when the vat moved back the resin flowed through the wiper flap so it wouldn't squeeze out the end.
I stopped letting the wiper come across the pdms a year or so after I purchased it.
The vat would then be stored at an angle so the window would breathe between use in the machine.
Attachments
vat sweeper left side stops at window.JPG
vat sweeper left side moves up.JPG

joelh
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#19 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:23 pm

I have been helping Adrien in the ticketing system. Typically when the printing process stops after many minutes the issue is heat related. This could be caused by the PCB is marginal and when it heats up during operation the printer stops. I have seen this probably 3 times in the last year. The other issue is a communication issue. Either the PC or Printer causes a communication issue and the printer stops, often without an error message. If I am not mistaken you have taken the x motor apart a couple of time to clean and oil and performance will improve only to fail again.

Return to “Hardware”