Z axis Linear Bearing Upgrade

Successful prints based on Model construction, supports, material selection & printer settings.
Atso
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#101 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:09 am

Trying to get 1/2 inch bearings in Europe is difficult these days even in the UK. The UK distributor for NB eventually came back with quite a high price and 6 week delivery for a special order. The problem with Speciality Motions is that the shipping cost with UPS was extortionate! I suggested to Tom Corey [tjcorey@smi4motion.com] at SMI that the USPS might be a good alternative and Tamara Spencer [tspencer@smi4motion.com] came up trumps! I now have a pair of SW8GWUU on their way to the UK at a little over half the price of getting them on special delivery through the UK distributor.

KefMan
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#102 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:46 pm

I've had mine installed for a couple days now. A most noted difference in how the table moves on the "Z". I was getting some sticking before with everything being much more loose than I wanted. Sounds smooth now and I've noticed a difference in my most recent prints.

Kevin

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#103 » Fri May 23, 2014 12:55 am

Just found this thread and super excited. Does anyone know where to possibly get these in Canada? I know these companies ship internationally but I figured I might as well ask :P

EDIT: Decided to email SMI, can't wait to get them!

cwalter

Post#104 » Fri May 23, 2014 4:38 am

When it comes to linear ball bushings there is a big difference in performance (smooth movement & constant reliability) between the NB linear ball bushings and bushings coming from third world linear companies. For example the NB ball bushing has steel balls running in the linear retainer circuit that are matched too one micron (one millionth of a meter), this gives you the necessary concentricity for this 3d printer application. NB has been in business for over 70 years and our manufacturing know how makes our linear ball bushings the right choice for smooth, constant movement for your building platforms.

sflores@joyeriadeplata.mx
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#105 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:27 pm

Already ordered. I hope they deliver to Mexico. I have suffered from this z banding and until now I have decided to buy these bearings. Thank you!

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#106 » Sat May 24, 2014 8:10 am

Quote from cwalter on May 23, 2014, 10:38
When it comes to linear ball bushings there is a big difference in performance (smooth movement & constant reliability) between the NB linear ball bushings and bushings coming from third world linear companies. For example the NB ball bushing has steel balls running in the linear retainer circuit that are matched too one micron (one millionth of a meter), this gives you the necessary concentricity for this 3d printer application. NB has been in business for over 70 years and our manufacturing know how makes our linear ball bushings the right choice for smooth, constant movement for your building platforms.

Which company is it that supplies the NB bushings?
edit: again not reading enough to see it's in the first post. Thanks Justin!

jschoenly
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#107 » Fri May 30, 2014 3:11 am

I replaced my bearings finally last night with the ones suggested here. SUPER smooth not all along the z axis. Very easy motion with teh lead screw.

HOWEVER - I was wondering if anyone noticed play in the z axis? It must have been there before and seems to be some clearance in the v1.1 nut assembly. I'm considering going back to the zero-backlash nut from the v1.0 to remove the clearance. Technically it shouldn't matter (and i use overlift) as the weight of the platform seems to easily keep it in down, but seems like it would be best to eliminate it. I'm also potentially over thinking it but i hadn't seen anyone mention it before. Maybe my leadscrew nut is a little looser than most? I may also try to shim it tighter there. We'll see.
Jared
Model Engineering

dragnink
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#108 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:17 am

I can second Atso's experience with smi4motion. I'm located on the east coast and was very put off by the high shipping price ($30 via ups) for the two bearings I needed. There was no way I was going to pay that much. So I contacted them and Ashley hooked me up with USPS shipping for a total of $5.41 on top of the price for two bearings which were under $21 each. So I spent about $46 including shipping in the end, doesn't get much better than that! Great customer service. They are enjoying the business from B9 owners, so don't hesitate if you're still using the stock ones that came with the machine.

sflores@joyeriadeplata.mx
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#109 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:12 pm

I have received them today. I just paid a total of 83 usd for 4 bearings (I have two B9 printers). They were delivered to Mexico via USPS. A great service from smi4motion. Via USPS they delivered in just 2 weeks. A great time considering other shipments I have received.

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#110 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:52 am

Again from smi4motion, I'm in Toronto and she hooked me up with a great shipping deal. Installed them a few days ago and between that and the new software, my prints are so smooth! :D

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#111 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:26 am

Let us knwo about your results Jose, and great to hear PandaP.
Dance like nobody's watching!

noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#112 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:15 am

I did this and now all i am getting is these semi prints... Can anyone help?

Quote from jewelrybyjustin on November 19, 2013, 12:45
This is not an official upgrade....I replaced the 4 linear sleeves in the Z axis assembly with 2 double long linear bearings. http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/LM/Kit8075 It has been about 4 weeks and 35+ prints, I am having great results. I have no Z axis banding. I still have some stepping, but that is normal. My models have little or no Z axis compression. The installation was fairly easy.
1. remove the 4 screws holing in the guide rod collars. ( on the back)
2. lay the B9 down on it's back.
3. gently push the rods up so there is some room to slide the linear slides out.
4. loosen the bolts holding the linear sleeve clamps and push them out and down the rods.
5. remove the 4 linear sleeves.
6. slide the new linear bearing on the rods, and into place. ( make sure they are the same on each side, I just lined them up with the top)
7. tighten the bolts. ( on the sleeve clamps)
8. slide the rods back in place.
9. put the b9 back on it's feet.
10. replace and tighten the screws on the back.

I clean the rods with alcohol and a paper towel every now and then, and lightly oil with 3-1 oil.

I noticed it doesn't really matter any more if one or all the screws on the Z axis clamps are tightened the same.

Hope this helps!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#113 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:24 am

That's likely not related to the bearings change, but an exposure issue. Make sure you have the new v1.7.3 as we have reset the balance to zero on the v1.1 machines. Also, if you fail to completely shake the resins, the latter half of the bottle will have a very high pigment % and fail like this.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#114 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:35 am

I always shake the resins...I will double check the version.. Should I extend the exposure time or just try updated and run again?
It was working Perfectly before i changed them...

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#115 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am

And your sure the table is set down on PDMS after changing bearings?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#116 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:51 am

what is this for??
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#117 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:26 am

sweeper weight.... Puts weight on the sweeper... it's filled with nickels

cerberus333
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#118 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 am

I had given up on the B9 a year ago as I had never gotten a sucessful print
due to z axis issues.
I have now decided to give it a try again, and am glad to see this thread.
Just ordered the bearings.
Looking forward to actually getting some prints I can cast!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#119 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:30 pm

If u need help just ask.
Dance like nobody's watching!

cerberus333
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#120 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:42 am

Thanks Robert.
Once I get my bearings (no pun intended) I will start up again.
I will no doubt have some questions, but as I saw in a different thread
the forthcomming documentation will be a welcome addition.

Return to “Tips & Tricks”