Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

General materials & resin discussions
User avatar
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 19
Contact:

Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:37 am

Formlabs Castable Wax Resin
This resin casts beautifully, no post curing required.

The settings on the B9 core 530 Series is:
30nm layer thickness
35 mJ/cm2

User avatar
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 2024

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for the info
is this the new blue resin ?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

User avatar
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 19
Contact:

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#3 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:49 pm

The wax castable is the new purple resin. ;)

User avatar
Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator
Posts: 6548

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#4 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:23 am

Can u post pics of some prints with small design elements?

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

User avatar
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 19
Contact:

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#5 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:23 am

Sure thing! A bit hard to see because it's dark, but it's capable of some very nice prints.

Image
https://imgur.com/R1y0G31

User avatar
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 2024

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#6 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:37 am

BruceTrick wrote:Formlabs Castable Wax Resin
This resin casts beautifully, no post curing required.

The settings on the B9 core 530 Series is:
30nm layer thickness
35 mJ/cm2


Can you tell us how much it costs?
You say you don't have to cure it?
Awfully dark I was expecting a lighter color how did it cast ?
any pics of casting?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

User avatar
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 19
Contact:

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#7 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:55 am

It casts wonderfully, I did a casting on another ring. Cost is on their website, I'm just here to share the settings for those who wish to try it out for themselves.

It contains wax and there is NO post cure. Just clean with 99% IPA for 10 minutes, no more no less.

User avatar
Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator
Posts: 6548

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#8 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:53 pm

Had u cast B9 Emerald or yellow before this. Are u using the same burnout as before or a different reg wax burnout?

Post your burnout schedule please for the new purple stuff.

All castable resins contain wax, just a question of how much. More wax equals longer print times and usually some loss of fine details when using DLP tech.. I would like to see a piece with scroll work, maybe some design elements in the .35 to .40mm diameter or width.

Thanks for sharing,

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

User avatar
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 19
Contact:

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#9 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Very true Robert, thank you.
We've maintained our 'normal' burnout schedule that we were using for hand carved waxes. I don't do the castings in my shop. The detail is surprisingly very crisp even showing 0.6mm milgrain. We were using the emerald and the yellow resins previously. Both seemed slightly more crisp than the new purple wax.

Regardless, I just gave my experience so far. Others can take what they wish from it. I shared because I couldn't find this information anywhere else myself. ;)

User avatar
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 2024

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#10 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:43 pm

BruceTrick wrote:Very true Robert, thank you.
We've maintained our 'normal' burnout schedule that we were using for hand carved waxes. I don't do the castings in my shop. The detail is surprisingly very crisp even showing 0.6mm milgrain. We were using the emerald and the yellow resins previously. Both seemed slightly more crisp than the new purple wax.

Regardless, I just gave my experience so far. Others can take what they wish from it. I shared because I couldn't find this information anywhere else myself. ;)


We do appreciate it
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

User avatar
Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator
Posts: 6548

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#11 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Yes, thanks for sharing. Just wanted to give as much info as possible to our forum members.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

User avatar
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master
Posts: 852

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#12 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 pm

Thank so much for sharing.. As much as I love using B9 products, the emerald has just not given me consistent results, even with platinum casts and I've tried almost everything for the past year. Perhaps its my caster and their casting/burnout process that is not right. However, today my caster showed me a cast done using Envisiontec green resin on an EVtech printer. I was seriously blown away by how clean and smooth the surface felt and looked, almost like there was no need for any polishing/finishing to wear that ring.

May have to try out this Form Labs resin or see if EnvisionTec's would work. Would be sweet if B9 could come up with a material that required no post cure and burned out much cleaner.

User avatar
Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator
Posts: 6548

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#13 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Has to be your caster. Myself and many others cast the green and yellow almost daily with great results.

I am now using Ultravest Max and love the low dust and smooth surface I get.

Since I cast using a 35 yr old broken arm casting "machine" (prob cost $250.00 at the time) and a small 8 x 8 oven and a torch u would think a casting house with all their high tech could cast resins that small shop guys and other casting houses can cast. I just don't get it. The ones I have seen that have trouble love to blame the resins. That's just BS. I have been casting the B9 resins since Cherry and Red and version 1 machine.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

User avatar
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master
Posts: 852

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#14 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:53 pm

Yeah.. must be my caster for sure. Everyone else I've talked to say they are getting perfect cats with b9 emerald.. The 3 or 4 people using b9 emerald with my caster have similar problems.. tried just about suggesting everything to my caster but to no avail so looking for a wax like resin that doesn't require post cure and leaves no ash

User avatar
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 2024

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#15 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:06 pm

perpetual_dreamer wrote:Yeah.. must be my caster for sure. Everyone else I've talked to say they are getting perfect cats with b9 emerald.. The 3 or 4 people using b9 emerald with my caster have similar problems.. tried just about suggesting everything to my caster but to no avail so looking for a wax like resin that doesn't require post cure and leaves no ash

Hey Allen,

Maybe it is time to reach out to another caster.
Or cast in house.
But honestly I had very few problems with Red/Cherry mix on my 1.1 and none with green on my B9 530 it really isn't the resin unless the caster is just crotchety enough to not make the small changes in his casting routine for resin and if he is curing them then he is not doing a very good job.

Where are you located ?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

User avatar
mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator
Posts: 4163
Contact:

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#16 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:25 am

After 6+ years of B9C selling high wax resins (Red, Cherry, Emerald, Yellow), some have finally copied it (or are at least attempting to) and then they market it as something "new". (Because many folks will always try the latest "new" thing even though ours costs less.) We don't talk about "% wax" in our product. Too much and it won't print well, too little and it won't cast well, there's a good balance that we've reached. As you all well know, there are a ton of other variables in casting besides the amount of wax in the resin, and no amount of wax can fix poor resin casting technique. It's great to see folks willing to experiment and do side by side comparisons, but unfortunately many folks aren't doing that, they are just buying the latest new (expensive) thing and then rationalizing it is better (because why else would you pay more?).
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

User avatar
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master
Posts: 852

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#17 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:21 pm

akgold wrote:
perpetual_dreamer wrote:Yeah.. must be my caster for sure. Everyone else I've talked to say they are getting perfect cats with b9 emerald.. The 3 or 4 people using b9 emerald with my caster have similar problems.. tried just about suggesting everything to my caster but to no avail so looking for a wax like resin that doesn't require post cure and leaves no ash

Hey Allen,

Maybe it is time to reach out to another caster.
Or cast in house.
But honestly I had very few problems with Red/Cherry mix on my 1.1 and none with green on my B9 530 it really isn't the resin unless the caster is just crotchety enough to not make the small changes in his casting routine for resin and if he is curing them then he is not doing a very good job.

Where are you located ?


Yeah.. I have to definitely look for another caster of he cant fix things. I've only stuck with this guy out of convenience as he is really close to my place. I used to get great casts from him when using cherry/red but still never consistent and almost never with the emerald resin.. After he showed me the cast from Envisiontech resin, I'm left wondering what a perfect cast with B9 resin looks like.

I'm up in Canada by the west coast.

User avatar
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master
Posts: 852

Re: Formlabs Castable Wax Resin Settings on B9 Core

Post#18 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:54 pm

Is there a casting/burn out oven checklist recommended for the b9 emerald resin or anyone care to share theirs? I'd love to give it to my caster for comparison and adjustment in his process.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Close Menu Shop Forum