Cant adjust z offset

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Cant adjust z offset

Post#1 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:07 pm

I am having difficulties adjusting the z offset with my new b9 board. There is a high limit of 8995.

I have a ver 1.1 machine with an anodized Kat Vat. Hence my issue.

Any help would be appreciated

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Cant adjust z offset

Post#2 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:01 pm

What is your default setting for the "z home offset" when u look at "printer settings" under "settings"?

The metal vats (Double Dog and Kat Vat and the B9 red aluminum) were all designed to work with default settings. You shouldn't have to change them. I have used them all and never changed the settings. If there is a mod to the metal vat that has raised the window by a substantial amount, then u may need to raise the z home offset. With the v1.2 every 200 units added is equal to 1mm. Dont' remember on my older v1.1, and can't look at the defaults, because I sold it. Someone here can give u the correct number of units for adjusting the height if u really need it on your v1.1 machine.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#3 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:49 am

I currently have it at 8995. That's as high as it will allow me to adjust it in the software.

At that point the z table assembly activates the lower limit switch in the empty part of the vat.

When I manually raise the z by turning the z coupling I still have the x movements rub the pdms aggressively.

I am very conservative with the amount of pdms I use. It's about 2-3 mm thick. Most likely 2mm.

There is precident in the forums to set the z "home" offset to over 10k but I cannot. I don't think i had it different than default settings before I swapped the boards out yesterday.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:21 am

Send that info to support@b9c.com

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#5 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:49 am

I will. Thanks for the help Robert.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#6 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:46 pm

The larger the z offset, the further down the arm will attempt to move to reach zero. The offset is the distance (in steps) between the (unmovable) home sensor and the mythical "zero" position.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:37 pm

When you installed the new board,it may need to be reset. Go to the printer manager and see what machine and projector size it is set to. If it is correct, I would still reset it.
You can reset it by changing to a 1.2 machine , allow it to update, then set it back to the 1.1 machine and allow it to update.
In Printer settings ;where you set the steps,go to the top of the page, click on the question mark and bring the question mark to the steps setting box . It will now show you 3 settings for all 3 versions of the machine... 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2. Pick the correct one and it should work correctly

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:10 pm

Thanks for that Daniel. I had forgotten all about the "Question Mark" that allow for definitions and settings.

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:33 pm

It's a nice feature to have.
Have a good long weekend...

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 pm

And u too.

My Best,
Robert

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#11 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:00 am

I actually did both sets of advice.

I reset the board per @metalcaster's suggestion. I didn't notice anything different besides peace of mind.

I lowered the number to 8100 and was able to print fine. I suggest that this was less about the Kat Vat and the new board and possibly more about me being stingy with the PDMS.

I was also confused about which way changes in the Z home offset affected the home.

thanks everyone for your help as always.

Now to level my projector!

Return to “Troubleshooting”