v1.2 HD with 1:1 Mix - not curing? - RESOLVED

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 50 micron slice thickness
alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

v1.2 HD with 1:1 Mix - not curing? - RESOLVED

Post#1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:32 am

Update - 18/12/2014

Thanks to assistance from Mike, this issue has now been resolved - the UV filter was still in place in the lamp assembly. Thanks to everyone who gave their input into what might be the issue, I've learnt more from troubleshooting these last few days than I would have should the unit have worked first time. Thanks again

Alan

I'm having curing issues with my first prints on the v1.2 machine with 1.7.3 software. Initially I was trying pure Cherry and the default settings at 50xy res, then I started over and recalibrated to 30xy with a 1:1 mix using Mike's settings. With both attempts I've had nothing cure at all, nothing on the build table, nothing left floating. I am using a test print sliced at 30 microns.

Firstly I have to say I'm a complete newcomer to the B9 so it is very likely that I've missed something essential somewhere! I've spent a good amount of time trying to find a resolution through reading other peoples experiences before posting. I am now not sure whether this could be a PDMS issue, or a exposure duration issue?

Here are the settings for the 1:1 30xyz print:

1-1 Settings.JPG

Some things I've tried:

- checked Printer Manager is set to v1.2 30XY ok
- re-calibrated the projector
- re-calibrated the build table
- PDMS looks clear, no clouding
- I also created the 1:1 Mix from a duplicate of the Cherry settings - is there a step there I've missed possibly?
- with the first attempt with Cherry, I cured a thin layer of resin to the build table in my UV oven, no change.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if I've missed any information, please shout and I'll provide with pictures if needed.

Regards

Al
Last edited by alanbuttler on Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: v1.2 HD with 1:1 Mix - not curing?

Post#2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:27 am

Why are those values in yellow. If created by Mike's instruction, then all should be black and white except maybe the change to settle time if u entered it manually.

Did u shake the bottles well be for making the mix. and did u shake well or stir the vat before printing?
Dance like nobody's watching!

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:47 am

Hi Robert, thanks for the quick response. Those print settings in yellow I took from your entry on page 2 of Mike's 1:1 Cherry Red Test post, I figured if you were getting good results with those then that would be a good place to start. The other instructions for the material I took from the first entry by Mike on viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2203

I've shaken both bottles well prior to mixing, and the mixed, and the vat has been stirred. It's possible I've not done it enough however?

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:47 pm

I've done some more experimenting as it looks as though exposure time might be the issue. I've taken some more settings from the forum which have longer exposure durations, the result being that I did get some slices cure, but they came off the build table with the settings below:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (37.78 KiB) Viewed 5075 times

I sieved out the resin to remove these floating parts. So some progress of sorts, I will now retry with some modifications.

P1170344.jpg

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi, seeing that you a very new user of the B9, I would make sure to be calibrated as well as possible with both the build table and projector.....and use only the default setting for the resin you are using. Also, try post your print data from your last print. Good luck!

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks TAJS, I'm going to start over and double check everything again, starting with calibration.

Cheers

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:09 pm

If u do the install of values for Mike 1:1 mix test u don't have to enter any values they are calculated for u.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2203

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:43 pm

Robert Howle wrote:If u do the install of values for Mike 1:1 mix test u don't have to enter any values they are calculated for u.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2203

Thanks Robert, will do, I'll post up the results with the print data shortly. I think I was getting a little carried away with the tweak settings, a case of running before walking I'm sure! Though using the defaults for Cherry I was getting nothing curing at all, it's only been since increasing the exposure times that I've had layers appear, though they were detaching from the build plate.

I'll re-calibrate and retry with 1:1 defaults.

Thanks for the input, Alan

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:44 pm

Also, did you assemble your machine?

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:57 pm

TAJS wrote:Also, did you assemble your machine?

Hi TAJS, yes I assembled myself. Results of the last test found an issue with the way I'd calibrated the build table - When tightening up the 4x screws once the build table was lowered to the PDMS, I noticed a slight lift to the table as I tightened, a beginners error no doubt! This time round I kept slight downwards pressure on the table to stop it moving whilst I tightened up the 4 bolts.

Next step, using the 1:1 Mix material settings and default print settings, I had nothing cure again. I'll post up my settings, but would someone mind telling me how to export all the print settings? I've had a search around the forum and can't find the method.

Here is a pic showing the setup before the job started. Resin in the VAT and sweeper in place:

P1170347.jpg

No sign of anything attached after I aborted the job:

P1170349.jpg

I did get layers to cure with the higher exposure times taken from another post, but beyond that I wouldn't know where to start with altering them. Would it be worth retrying with the settings that did result in slices curing now that I've hopefully got the build table properly calibrated?

Thanks for the input all, very much appreciated!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Are u mixing the resin really well before using it? Did u have any debris in the vat? Post print data report.

Go to "help" with app open and click on "copy settings from last print" and post here.

Robert

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#12 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:08 pm

If you haven't already done so I would suggest you use a better filter for the resin. You probably just showed this to see the large pieces but you will need to use a paint filter fine screen to get the other floaters out of your resin after a failed print.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:12 pm

Thanks for the pointer Robert. Here's the settings:

Software Version: Version 1.7.3 Copyright 2014 B9Creations, LLC http://www.b9creator.com

Last Comm Port: COM9
Display Index: 1
Last Print Attempt Status: Completed
Configuration: B9Creator v1.2.0, XY at 50 microns
Job Name: C:/Users/aab1/Dropbox/3D Modelling/Jobs/0005 Calibration Matrix Cut/Calibration Matrix Cut 30um.b9j
Job Data
Name: Calibration Matrix Cut 30um
XY Pixel Size: 30 µm
Slice Thickness: 30 µm
Total Layers: 47
Material Volume: 0.41 ml

Material Settings
ID: 1:1 Mix, Description: Hi-Res, lost wax suitable.
Calc Base: 2.061, Used Base: 2.061
Calc Over: 0.386, Used Over: 0.386
Calc Attach Layers: 2, Used Attach Layers: 2
Calc ABase: 7.729, Used ABase: 7.729
Calc AOver: 1.448, Used AOver: 1.448

Cycle Settings
Unsupported Pixel Multiplier: 0.8
Shutter Open Speed : 70
Shutter Close Speed : 60
Pre Exposure Delay (Settle) : 2.5
Post Exposure Delay (Kick) : 0.2
Post Release Delay (Breathe) : 1.5
Overlift Cutoff (mm) : 0.5
Initial Overlift (mm) : 3
Subsequent Overlift (mm) : 1
Dip (mm) : 0

Job Position
X Offset: 0
Y Offset: 0
Mirrored: false
Show Grid: true

Something I noticed straight away in the print job above - "Configuration: B9Creator v1.2.0, XY at 50 microns" however the printer manager is definitely set to 30 microns:

0005 Printer Manager.JPG
0005 Printer Manager.JPG (32.15 KiB) Viewed 5007 times

1:1 Mix is well mixed, I also tried your de-bubbling tip in the ultrasonic cleaner.

akgold - I'll look into that, thank's for the tip.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#14 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:26 pm

I guess the next thing to ask is when u calibrated the projector did u make sure u printed out the grids "actual size" and not "fit to page". Measure grids to check. Zoom to correct size and then focus for sharpness (vat in place, grid pattern on PDMS). Last but not least, is the projector set to the top hole in the back plate (30 micron resolution position).

Just thinking out loud.

Robert Howle

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:37 pm

No worries, it's worth double checking everything of course. Grid was printed actual size, focus and sharpness were good. Projector is in the top hole 30 micron position.

What I pulled out of the sieve on first glance did look like it had formed ok, after using the second set of print settings with longer exposures.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#16 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:47 pm

Attach layers are difficult to see with "wet" build table. Print something maybe 1 or 2 mm thick snapped to the floor in layout. U can do test that way in few minutes.
Oval test layout.JPG

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#17 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:49 pm

For accurate calibration i use a 500 gram steel bench block. I is also very important that the build table "floats" in the black arm slots when the screws are loose. Some had to be adjusted to not be binding.
Table and block 2.jpg
Table and block 1.jpg

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:53 pm

I just re-ran the job through to completion, nothing still on the table or floating in the vat with the default 1:1 settings. Could this be anything to do with the temperature of the resin at all? I'm in quite a cool room, around 19-20 centigrade / 66-68 fahrenheit. I think I read somewhere that room temperature could have an impact?

The build table floats nicely, I'm pretty certain there is no binding. Thanks for the tip about the bench block!

Here's a pic of one of the detached cured slices I fished out after printing using the longer exposure settings:

P1170351.jpg

I'll give your suggestion of a 2mm deep object a test now Robert,

Thanks

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#19 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:31 pm

Looks thick front left and Thin back right. when you look under machine at light is the Eclipse center Of the build area.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#20 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:13 pm

This is what my print page looks like with 275 lamp hrs. For 30xy 30z. using Mike's instrucitions to create test for 1:1 mix.

1 to 1 test.JPG
If u have created the "test" material according to Mile's instructions u can just up the MSM (Machine Specific Multiplier) to make all the setting changes for u. Try moving it up to 1.1 or 1.2 and test print. It adjust the exposure times.

Would like to see screen capture of your "print" page with the "Test 1:1 mix".

Robert Howle

Return to “B9R-1-Cherry”