Projector window troubleshooting and mod

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
HienoJewel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#21 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:51 pm

I am having the same problem with cure times. The need for increased cure times happened quite fast. Now i have lamp hours 437. (printing 1:1 mix z31.75 Initial around 14s)
I have not looked inside the projector yet whether the filters are in good condition.
I thought that my lamp is dying but it seems that there is something else happening inside my projector.
Is it possible that the filters "coatings" start to deteriorate over time and begin to prevent the passage of light?
http://www.opticsbalzers.com/en/197/UV-Guard%E2%84%A2.htm
http://www.opticsbalzers.com/en/196/UV/IR-Blockers.htm
http://www.opticsbalzers.com/data/tmp/1417593722_OBA%20025%20PE.pdf
http://www.opticsbalzers.com/data/tmp/1417593724_OBA%20037%20PE.pdf
http://www.opticsbalzers.com/data/tmp/1417593807_OBA%20006%20PE.pdf

I found this text about projector modifications:
http://www.os-rc.com/en/ilios-documentation-page/37-11-projector-modifications
How would the color wheel removal affect in b9 case?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#22 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:53 pm

@Hieno-Jewel--Very interesting read on the color wheel and filter mods at this location.

http://www.os-rc.com/en/ilios-documentation-page/37-11-projector-modifications

Would really like to see Mike's take on the removall of both filters and replacement with IR filter.

Looks like the one i have missing it called the "Body filter".

Thanks, Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#23 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:35 am

I believe I started having issues too around the same age of my lamp. It's odd to have so many with the same issue.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#24 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:37 am

Is the inner filter missing in anyone elses projector. Just open lamp compartment and let us know.

Robert

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#25 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:45 am

Here is a pic to show the inner or "Body filter" (this is not D535 projector) not ours, but u should get the Idea. Not the lamp assembly filter, but the innner filter between the lamp housing and the main projector body.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#26 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Guys,
Thats what I have been saying all along. We need replacement filters . I have been figuring this issue for a couple months... I can't use my 1.1 projector on anything except other material. Works great on MS materials, FTD etc as these do not need the filters, However, I DO need the castability of the B9 resins .... as we all do. I emailed Vivitek to find out where to buy the filters.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#27 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Me too, and still no responce from them.

tobyramp@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#28 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:27 pm

I emailed Vivetek several months ago, never got a response. Who does Vivetek buy them from?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#29 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:59 pm

don't know who sells them, But I will probably call Vivitek tech support and get an answer...

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#30 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:19 am

One more thing, I talked a lot with guys that do have othe machines with similar principle like DW, rapidshape, form1 and all of them state that PDMS they use could bring them 100-200-300 prints! And that's without any "de-oxygenizing" with slide it! Amazing! How it's possible? I noted one thing absolutely identical to them all - they all use UV lased or LED so that there is no: a) heat from lamp, b) heat in form of IR radiation from our full spectrum lamp. Maybe that's the case of such a severe clouding we do have? I can't print more than 20-40 print usually. And it's quite good scenario. Sometimes with long object's it could live even 2-5 prints only!
We definitely need to find at least some Ir blocker to try it. Also I'm sure it not hurt in any way.
Any thought on that?

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#31 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:23 am

It does not surprise me. Many who have installed fans have expressed that it extends pdms life

edited: I think IR blocker is good idea

HienoJewel
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#32 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 pm

I am going to ask if opticsbalzers guys can help us. Lousy service from Vivitek :/

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Projector window troubleshooting and mod

Post#33 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:16 pm

I happen to have three lamp assemblys for the D535. I don't have extra internal filters but if u need a lamp filter i can pull one from one of mine and ship it to you. I remember some of u said yours had broken. all three of mine are fine.

By the way one is in use so only two available. I replaced the internal filter that someone scrounged from a broken projector for me. Prints got back to showing up at defaut 1:1 mix settings, but were not very good. This was an improvement as I was getting nothing not even debris before. Maybe operating the projector for the 200 hrs with no internal filter has something to do with it, even though I can't imagine what.

Have to admit I was not willing to go to 40 sec layer curing, so didn't test past defauts with MSM higher than 1.3 (before installing the new to me, inner filter). But even at that not even debris on a 6 hr print.

Changed to new lamp and assembly (had backup on hand) and internal filter installed, and all is well again. I don't have any idea why i had two instances of prints suddenly not being there after only about 200 hrs on two different lamp assemblys. I think the fact that my projector never had an inner filter from the very beginning has something to do with it. I will find out as now new lamp assembly and finally an internal filter to boot. We will see if i can get past the magic 200 hr mark on the v1.1 machine.

Robert Howle

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#34 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:26 pm

im still waitting to replace filters. thanks for following up

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#35 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:07 am

do u need both, I can give u lamp filter.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#36 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:23 am

No i have the filters. I am also planning on experimenting with alternatives. I just havent had a sec to swap them.

jschoenly
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#37 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm very interested to hear how this progresses as far as the IR blockers. I still have the v1.1 and I've been swamped with things lately that it yet again has sat idle for months. I f there is a mod to the projector for faster cure times, I'd love to know.

Am I correct that the idea is bouncing around, but there is nothing at all solid on this? I'm hoping to start printing again in the next few weeks or less. My last results were coming out very well, but it is certainly slow. I did have to bump up the MSM (have to check value) and was running 50xy with 1:1 at 31z. I would really like to run 75 or 100 xy, but it didn't seem hardly possible before. I've also lost track as to my last tests with the new software. If the Projector Mod would allow for 1:1 resin to run in 100xy mode I would be a happy camper....
Jared
Model Engineering

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#38 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:08 pm

There is. Just installed last week and testing. Looks pretty good so far. About $30 fix probably. Will keep you posted if it continues to be successful

ckl81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#39 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:47 am

My projector was dying at 500hrs. Then Tim suggesting the filter replacement. I went to my local glass shop bought 2mm thick regular glass. Cut them in 24x23mm something like that. Put the uv filter out, then put the regular glass in. Start printing with msm at 0.3. My printing time is 1.9 sec per slice on 50xy 31z on 1.1 machine. As Tim was suggesting by modding this glass, the dlp chip can die between 100 to 3000 hrs. I will post what I did

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#40 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:06 pm

Looking forward to your results, Behold

Robert

Return to “Troubleshooting”