Resin that can be Plated

General materials & resin discussions
noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Resin that can be Plated

Post#1 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:52 am

Hi,

So years ago at the JCK show in Vegas I saw a 3d Printer that the finished part could be plated.
I don't know much about resin's but is there anyway to add some type of medal to the resin
so it could be plated? Thanks

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Resin that can be Plated

Post#2 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:19 am

IIRC you can electroplate most plastics if you coat them in graphite powder first.

noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Resin that can be Plated

Post#3 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:59 am

Is that a resin? Is it a smelly one?

cerberus333
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Resin that can be Plated

Post#4 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:49 am

in order to electroplate you need the following.
a conductive surface on the object to be plated (graphite powder would accomplish this)
the object to be plated and the surface coating (if needed/present) need to be able to
withstand a caustic (generally acidic) solution.
many plating solutions are warmed to close to boiling temps so the object needs to be able to handle the heat.
other considerations,
buoyancy, the object needs to be submersed, so if it floats it needs to be weighted.
surface should be non porous. (you don't want it dripping cyanide solutions that got trapped inside of pores.
that being said, electroforming is a really cool process,
you can model a object that you are only partially plating, for example make a face relief
and just plate the part you want and then melt the plastic away. offers some interesting
possibilities for making thin wall highly detailed models.

danmr
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Resin that can be Plated

Post#5 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Regular "electroforming" could help you here, basically the real trick is the "conductive paint" that you could apply to the prints and after that is simple plating like procedures. I attach a link to Rio Grande as a starting point.
http://www.riogrande.com/Product/MIDAS-5-Amp-Electroforming-Kit/335600

Return to “General”