PDMS curing

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

PDMS curing

Post#21 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:12 pm

I have a terrible time actually cleaning the things. They seem to be a magnet for dust or particles from the microfiber cloth, or just what is apparently floating around my house. Soap and water does okay, but still seems to leave some resin residue. I've tried palmolive, alcohol, regular hand soap. Nothing seems to get it sparkly clean. Maybe I shouldn't have went all cheap on the microfiber cloths?

I built a box similar to the one bryce@ made up a few posts. Though I've never worked with electronic wiring before, anyone know how to safely wire 4 lamp bulbs like he has, each with only 2 wires sticking out all together with power cord?

I wish we could just buy pre coated VATS so I wouldn't have to do this. Anyone offer VAT coating or VAT trading service?

cl2635
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

PDMS curing

Post#22 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:17 pm

what are you trying to clean? VATs? try wiping with paper towels

how much are you willing to pay to wash and coat your VAT? xD

Harry T.
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

PDMS curing

Post#23 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:06 am

I just received my new extra large food dehydrator from Excalibur. Its refurbished ($50) cheaper) but looks brand new; i got the model w/o the timer. Several Vats will easily fit inside by removing a few trays plus there will be many other applications we can use it for in our jewelry factory. I'm a happy camper! The link is: http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/dehydrators/refurbs

KNSCi
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

PDMS curing

Post#24 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:17 pm

@Harry; you're saying you clean the vat with soap n water then put it in the dehydrator? interesting!
ZLab3d, printing with B9Creator 1.1 & 1.2 since 2013

bankejing
Lurker
Lurker

Re: PDMS curing

Post#25 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:14 am

jasonspyke wrote:Hi guys,

Recently I wrecked my PDMS (and vat, which is another long story since rectified).
In trying to recoat the PDMS, both attempts to do it ended up unsatisfactory. Basically it took a long time to cure (>4 days), and even post cure, the build side was still tacky, and significantly thinner than the well. There was no noticeable waterfall, and the surface was near flush.

I used sylgard 184, with a 10-1 ratio measured out on a digital kitchen scale.

I tried is twice, and Both times were similar, so I am obviously doing something wrong. Hope someone can offer some advice, as I need to know how to properly fix the PDMS...

Thanks!
Jason

I also have a digital kitchen scale but it has not been working anymore.
Last edited by bankejing on Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: PDMS curing

Post#26 » Fri May 19, 2017 1:53 am

Sounds like u got the ratio wrong, not enough activator. Will cure at room temp in 48 hrs. In a very humid area?

Use 60 grams and 6 grams on the orange vats. U can also mix by volume if u dont' have a more sensitive scale. Does your scale measure in grams? If it's made for heavy weights then prob not sensitive enough on the lighter weights.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Return to “Troubleshooting”