Printer settings have no effect.

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
jpanetta

Printer settings have no effect.

Post#1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:34 pm

I am trying to adjust the MSM/Slope/Balance/Fade on my B9Creator v1.2.0, but despite significant changes to these parameters (current values: MSM 1.1, Fade: 0, Balance: 0.15, Slope: 0.8) I am getting calibration prints that are identical to those from the default values.

I have tried removing and reinserting the power cable and updating the software. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Printer settings have no effect.

Post#2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Were these settings on an assembled machine from the factory. If u were getting good calibration prints before why are u making changes. If u change resins the only change u should have to make if your calibration was good should be the MSM.

What resin are u using.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

jpanetta

Post#3 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:27 pm

This is a B9Creator we assembled ourselves. The calibration prints are not coming out perfectly with the default settings, which is why I am trying to adjust them. We have switched to the B9R-1-Cherry resin.

The settings I listed are after the latest changes I've made. Despite many prints with many different settings, so far all measurements have been essentially identical.

The center square in the calibration print is too thin, so I am attempting to increase the MSM. The outer four squares are slightly too thick, so I think the slope also needs to be decreased slightly.

Thanks for the reply,
Julian

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Post a pic of your print with some measurements of the elements.

Robert

jpanetta

Post#5 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 pm

I've attached a screenshot of the measurements and a photo of the print corresponding to the last measurement.

Every print is missing the "-" on "F-", though I think the last print's "-" was there before I cleaned it. I assume this is breaking off because it's a bit too thin.

measurements.png

last_calibration_print.png

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#6 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:12 am

This print looks really good. If you are going after the highest detail, having the squares a little smaller will minimize any overexposure. If that is most important, then I suggest not changing any more settings and print some of your own pieces.

Otherwise I would suggest increasing the MSM to 1.25 and decreasing the slope to 0.75, that should get the middle square closer, but that will most likely make the outer squares a bit bigger as well.

jpanetta

Post#7 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:17 pm

For my application, it is important to have as uniform, undistorted thickness across the print as possible; I am printing structures and running precise compression tests on them to measure their mechanical properties.

I can try an even larger MSM and smaller slope, but I'm concerned that none of the parameters I have changed so far (including balance) have made any perceptible change in the calibration prints. I'm worried that there is a software bug or other problem preventing the settings from taking effect.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 pm

If u are trying to make changes that involve measurements as small as .01 mm, then u will prob continue to be frustrated. The machine was not built to have tolerances of .01mm. The machine was built to produce quality prints and prototypes for use by modelers, jewelers, etc. Very high tolerance engineering prototypes may not be achieveable with the 1.1 or 1.2 machine.

For the majority of users being within .10 mm is quite good enough.

U can always adjust your CAD model for some of the variations in printing and shrinkage in curing. With the case of jewelers there must be compensation for mold making and casting changes to the original.

Just my opinion.

Robert Howle

jpanetta

Post#9 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:44 am

There is a thickness difference of ~0.25mm between the upper left corner and the center, not ~0.01mm; my measurements are significantly outside the +/-0.06mm tolerances claimed on the measurement sheet. Also, my measurements are very consistent across prints, which makes me hopeful that if I can actually make adjustments, I can achieve better accuracy.

In any case, my primary concern--as expressed in the title--is that even dramatic changes to the printer settings seem to make no difference in the calibration print. To me this indicates a problem, regardless of how acceptable my current measurements may or may not be. Could somebody please comment on this issue?

Thanks for the advice on adjusting the model's geometry. I may need to resort to this, but I am trying to avoid it.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:04 pm

I was talking about the measurements on the printed elements of the calibrationg print, not the thickness. Looks like u need to recalibrate the build table possibly.

Are u using the new stainless steel build table assembly. If not, get one, it solves many issues with calibration.

Robert

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:06 pm

Just a note: are u aware that if u make any changes on the left side of print screen, u override the software (msm won't work).

You can make changes on the right side of the screen and it's ok (all mechanical settigns).

Just wanted to make sure u knew.

Robert Howle

Return to “Troubleshooting”