Proper projector to back plate angle- V1.2?

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
whsjyboy

Proper projector to back plate angle- V1.2?

Post#1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello,

After searching, I wasn't able to find the ideal tilt angle for the D912 projectors on v1.2 machines here on the forums.

Basically, the lower black plate, and the red projector mounting assembly are warped out of shape a bit on my B9, and for now, it would be faster to shim the projector in order to get the correct tilt angle. In the future, I plan to reinforce the plates to correct the flatness, as many have done here.

I plan on using an accurate level, with a known angle per division, in order to set the correct tilt angle, using the PDMS surface itself, referencing with respect to the focusing ring on the projector. Will that work well, or is there a more accurate way to correctly measure the true tilt angle of the projector?

Thanks in Advance

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Proper projector to back plate angle- V1.2?

Post#2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:45 pm

The red sloped spacers between the red mounting plate and the projector set the correct angle for the image projected to be perpendicular to the build table.

Robert Howle

sloped spacers.JPG
Dance like nobody's watching!

whsjyboy

Post#3 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:59 am

[quote="Robert Howle"]The red sloped spacers between the red mounting plate and the projector set the correct angle for the image projected to be perpendicular to the build table.

Robert Howle

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your quick reply. The red sloped spacers is checked in a correct angle between the red mounting plate and the projector.

I place a bullseye level on the top of the lens cap as attachment in the first photo. However, it turns out the center bubble is tilt towards a operator with 1 degree as attachment in the second photo. I assume the bubble should be positioned at the center of the level. I was wondering what's the correct situation for the level on the lens cap?

Photo Mar 24, 9 33 21 AM.jpg
Level on the lens cap

Photo Mar 24, 9 31 26 AM.jpg
Level tilt in 1 degree

Thanks,

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:08 am

the projector lens should be absolutely parallel with the pdms surface..
when u put the level either on the pdms or the lens ,should have the same readings

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#5 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:54 am

The black focus ring isn't a good reference point as it has plenty of potential movement. The actual optic lens would be a better reference point but would require a smaller gauge, and you would have to be careful not to scratch the lens.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm

If u have a clean vat in place and do the projector calibration using the orange plastic grids from B9 u will be able to know if u are perdendicular if the zoom and focus gives u crisp grid lines over the entire build area. If the yaw is off u will be out of focus on one end. If the tilt is off u would be out of focus either front or back. Prob easier to check in the larger build areas.

Just a thought.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

NCSU_Mike
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:26 pm

Matt wrote:The black focus ring isn't a good reference point as it has plenty of potential movement. The actual optic lens would be a better reference point but would require a smaller gauge, and you would have to be careful not to scratch the lens.

True, I once looked at getting a level to fit at that point... scarily close to crashing into the lens's surface!

andreas wrote:the projector lens should be absolutely parallel with the pdms surface..
when u put the level either on the pdms or the lens ,should have the same readings

Matt, can you confirm this?

Matt
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#8 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:38 am

Yes, the lens should be parallel to the PDMS surface for the most accurate prints.

Return to “Troubleshooting”