Prints fail after several layers - first prints

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Prints fail after several layers - first prints

Post#21 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:23 pm

Based on the picture from below, now my theory is it must be the build table, not the balance.
Print like nobody's watching!

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#22 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:52 pm

I determined that the reason why the build table had a "rough" frictiony movement when I loosened its 4 screws was because the two front black legs where the screws mount onto were too inward pointing and grinding on the red piece. With no screws attached, and by trying to fit the red table tabs between the black tabs, it seemed clear that that was the issue.

So I tried pulling them apart to give it more room so that there'd be no friction during table calibration. It worked and there was no more friction - I could slide the build table/screws by hand unlike before... before it would get caught while sliding.

So I re-calibrated the table and printed the calibration print again. I got a similar failure :(

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#23 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:23 am

Going to order a new build table and vat.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#24 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:23 pm

I totally forgot that the Mac had earlier done a near perfect calibration print a week or so ago (see post #15 of this thread for the pic with PC on top and Mac on bottom). (Thought that was at 30 µm xy resolution)

I also noticed that the projector exposure times are equal to what the job info says. When I was doing 30 µm xy, the exposure times 2 to 3 times longer than what the job info said they should be (on the mac).

This is so confusing!

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#25 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:55 pm

That looks undercured.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#26 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:30 pm

If its undercured, then how do I fix it? Change the MSM? Or change the exposure values?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#27 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:33 pm

If you plan to continue printing at 70 XY, I'd suggest changing the MSM, balance and fade (tune for 70). If you've already done that at a different XY (30 or 50) then copy those values first and if you switch back, you'll already have them.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#28 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:22 pm

Ok great, thanks for the info. I assumed the values would be the same for 70 as they were for 30. I really hope it works!

Any suggestions on how much to increase MSM and how I should change the balance based on the images?

I'm going to wait for my new build table and vat before I begin experimenting.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#29 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:50 pm

In theory it the settings should stay the same for 30/50/70 but in practice it's not always the case. You're more likely to have the settings work for all resolutions if you tune at 70 (lowest light intensity) as there's more sensitivity to the settings there.

Looking at your image, I'd start by increasing the MSM by .2 and maybe shifting the balance left by .2 (reducing the prior balance number by .2)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#30 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks so much for the help! I'll try that and make adjustments from there.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#31 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:18 pm

UPDATE! Much better results! Remaining issues: Balance needs above +1.0 but can't, and "F's" not printing properly. And slope needs to go lower, but can't!

I've printed 12 calibration prints with a new build table and vat. I adjusted balance gradually all the way to +1.0 and the squares on the left are STILL bigger than the ones on the right. The B- squares (left side) are 10.15mm, and the right ones are around 10.02mm. The center one is 9.96mm. So I would normally increase balance a bit, but since I can't increase balance anymore, what do I do?

Also, slope is at its minimum 0.1 value. Since the center square is still smaller than the outer squares, what do I do about this?

F issue: The top and bottom F look ok from a distance. On closer inspection, the two horizontal parts of each "F" are not attached to the foundation... they have lots of air space beneath them. Also, the "-" is missing on the bottom F. What is the solution for this? Increase MSM? Maybe I'll re-calibrate the focus, but I thought it was perfect when I calibrated the optics on this new vat.

Btw, the calibrated machine came with these settings:
Balance: 0.0
Fade: 0.0
MSM: 0.55
Slope: 0.7
(calibrated for Cherry I think, and for 30µm xy)

And now my calibration print is looking pretty good (aside from the above issues) with these settings:
(this is for 70µm xy, B9-R2-Black)
Balance: 1.000
Fade: 0.120
MSM: 1.550
Slope: 0.100

PS:
Peeling issue solved: The B- side would always look "peeled" off the table after the first several calibration prints. After fixing the balance a lot, only the top left B- corner would peel. After many table calibrations with no change, I ended up having to push kinda hard on the corner while tightening the 4 table screws during calibration in order to actually fix it. Took a couple tries to get the peeling gone completely.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#32 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Just a pic of most of the calibration prints:

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#33 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:28 am

Unresolved so far (based on the previous calibration prints):

- The balance needs to be increased, but its already at the maximum allowed value
- The slope needs to be decreased, but its already at the minimum allowed value
- The F's aren't printing properly

The good news is that I have been able to print several prints so far with no actual failures! I will need to print parts that other pieces fit in to or snap into, so I still would like to have as close to perfect accuracy as possible. I'm not sure what the problem could be other than the projector. Maybe I can move the "hotspot" manually by moving the lamp or other optic stuff inside the projector? I don't want to mess around with it though unless someone has actually done something like it before.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#34 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:27 am

The lamp housing's position in the projector can make a difference. It "should" only fit in one way, but you might be able to tweak it a bit. The lamp itself can also be adjusted within the housing. Again, this shouldn't ever need to be fiddled with, but I've never seen a need to push balance to the limit so it might help. I have to wonder if it got bumped hard in shipping to be that far off.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

prototyper
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#35 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:58 pm

I've fired up this printer again and I've run the calibration again starting from scratch. It still has these same issues. Is there any way to increase the balance past +1.0?

Return to “Troubleshooting”