Z axis motor issues after Seizure

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Z axis motor issues after Seizure

Post#1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:27 am

In the beginning I received the machine, put it together, got it working fairly well. Then had a minor problem with the X motor and had to remove one of the bolts from the slide tray assembly so that I could fix it. The bolt got stuck in the removal (how I have no idea, it went in fine...) and the bolt had to be cut off to remove it and I had to get an entire new base plate and rebuild the machine again since the nut for those bolts is welded into the plate. I didn't fret and moved on...

I tweaked and finally got the machine back to working when the PDMS from the factory started top lift off so I ordered the replacement kit and just finished replacing the PDMS layer. It looked great, perfectly level!

I re-calibrated the projector again as well as the build table. My first run I got to layer 2 and it froze up. The whole machine seized as the X motor got stuck. The slider couldn't move, the build plate was locked down onto the PDMS, and the Z would not move at all! I had to remove the screws from the Z assembly to manually roll up the Z so that could remove the build table. Once I've completely disassembled the whole slider section to verify that there was nothing that caused the X motor to stick, I now find that my Z motor does nothing! It humms and nothing. So it's getting power, but no movement so the whole lock up buggered my Z motor!

I am surprised that there is no emergency shut off. I had to unplug the whole unit as it was seizing. But upon plugging it back in, (while it was all still together and locked up) it went right back to trying to move the X to no avail. Also, it would be nice to add adjustable screw feet to more easily level the machine, just a side note.

I'm not very happy to say the least. Still no idea why the X seized up, there was plenty of play in the slide. So I guess now I have to buy a new Z axis assembly, take everything apart and rebuild again. NOT IMPRESSED with the construct of this machine. One small thing goes wrong and it's new parts and rebuilds. What a waste of my time, money, and energy.
Last edited by BruceTrick on Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: Falling apart after less than a month!

Post#2 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:32 am

This is certainly not normal. Drop support a note and we'll help out. support at b9c dot com
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Falling apart after less than a month! OK maybe a bit more...

Post#3 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:34 am

Done and done, thank you Mike.

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Falling apart after less than a month! OK maybe a bit more...

Post#4 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:30 am

Thank you Mike for the call and the support. You were super fast and to the point in trying to help me uncover the issues with my machine. It's greatly appreciated.

Return to “Troubleshooting”