One side of the print lifting

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

One side of the print lifting

Post#1 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:20 am

Hi,

I'm having trouble identifying why only one side (B+) of my print is lifting off the build table. I've calibrated the build table numerous times but with no good results to speak of.

I'm at factory settings right now for this print.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Bruce

dfurlano
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: One side of the print lifting

Post#2 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:36 pm

table is not flat or not parallel to the PDMS.

b0ris
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Metalcaster wrote:Here is a quick test... set the machine to calibrate the build table.
cut 4 pieces of paper about 1/2 inch wide and 1 .5 inches long .
fold all 4 approximately a 1/2 inch from the bottom.
Put one in each corner area of the pdms so that when the platform comes down, it will sit on all 4 pieces of paper.
put gentle pressure on 1 corner and tighten the screw for that corner until tight.
Then do each corner the same way.
Now pull on each piece of paper lightly... if 1 of them is loose, re-do that one until all 4 pieces of paper saty in place with a light tug.

You are now perfectly calibrated.
'Now complete the rest of the steps and It will probably work perfect.

I have been doing the calibration this way for a couple of months and have had "0 " failures...

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 pm

Not mentioned often enough, but dont' over tighten the screws on the build table, it can through the calibration off. I use a 500 gram bench block and just snug the screws. Leaves your hands free too.
Table and block 1.jpg
Table and block 2.jpg
Dance like nobody's watching!

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:58 am

Thank you for the tips! I'll try both today and let you know how it works.

Cheers!
Bruce

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:29 am

Thank you again, unfortunately I'm receiving the same results. I snugged the build table down to the tray using paper tabs to determine the tightness and they didn't budge. The table is flat to the PDMS and sound as a pound.

I should also mention that I was receiving fairly good print before but re-calibrated the projector in hope to better fine tune the prints. Now I'm having this issue, an issue that wasn't present before. Any ideas what else this could be?

(The first image was my initial test. The second image is after the paper tightening of the build table.)

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 am

OK So I've been thinking it's probably just the cure on the one side. So I've increased my Balance to .3 and this was my result. I think that's all it was. I'll continue to adjust the balance and fade until I receive my needed results.

Thanks again for the tips. The paper and weight work great to really know you have good surface contact.

Cheers

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#8 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:02 am

Looks like it might still be slightly out of focus.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

hannahrdd
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Another thing to check is make sure your projector is level left to right. Just place a leveler on the black ring on the top.

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:54 pm

Hi Mike and Hannahrdd,

I will refocus on my next run just to make sure. The last run seemed pretty close. :)

I had leveled the projector in the beginning to try to alleviate the issues of balance from my first set-up. But it turns out it's still out of balance so I'm adjusting as needed. Again thanks for all the input, I suspect I'll need a bit more in the final tuning.

I'll let you know how the re-focusing and tweaking turns out.

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:55 am

Hello again everyone,

I've done some tweaking and here are my settings now.

Things were going pretty well with the test calibration at 30 and 30 using cherry.

Until I tried a few real prints. These are pieces I've already made but am using them to see the detail and shrinkage factors. As you can see the lower part of the jaw hasn't printed (twice now), and a section in the B-, F+ quadrant is incomplete.

Any suggestions?
Thank you all in advance.

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:49 pm

Like Mike said, it looks like a focus issue. Make sure the projector focus is all the way over to 30 and the lens ring is pegged out as well, then adjust the height with the hanger knob until the projected grid fits perfectly to the paper grid. Make sure the projector and the build table are parallel to each other (if both are level they are also parallel). Don't settle for "close enough", get everything right on the money and your prints will be right on the money, too. :D

brumbaer
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 am

Regarding Focus.

You change the projection-size in two ways
1. changing the distance between projector and vat
2. Turning the lower ring on the lens.

If the distance between the projector and vat is at the minimum, I will not be able to get best possible focus. So I use the knob on the projector hanger to increase the distance and readjust size with the lower ring.

I set the distance, so that turning the focus ring will pass the sweet spot (i.e fous getting worse after getting better) to make sure that the "focus range" covers it.

You might want to check if that's the case on your printer as well.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#14 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:35 pm

are you using the fine tune adjuster for the projector's position?
the little dial in the back.

Also many of us when we were newbies didn't realize there is two adjustments for focus. the focus ring on the lens itself and the dial under it is the zoom.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:45 am

Hi all,

Thank you for the tips. The last publish of photos was after a new video re-calibration and focusing. But to take it into acoount again, I re-re-calibrated everything. I leveled the machine and leveled the projector, re-focused the projector to the grid.

I just did 2 test runs and the same results. The B+ side is really weak so I had to bump it up to .7 and here are the results from there.

Any other tips other than focus and calibrations? I know all machines are not created equal so I need to figure out the tweak with this one.

Thanks for any information that you might have.

Cheers

Here is the focal calibration. I know it looks off but it's the angle of the camera with the distance from the paper to the bottom of the tray causing it to look a bit off. I pegged the projector with loosened bolts, used the black tuning knob to bring it to the right size after focusing with the main larger focus dial, then fine tuned the focus using the black focus on the end of the lens. It looks a bit blurry as well but it is not. It's just the result from the camera and the lack of light.

Any other suggestions welcome. :)

RandyWChambers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#16 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:41 pm

I had to have my Balance at the maximum of 1.00 and MSM up to 1.45 from .85 all of a sudden for some reason to get a proper calibration print.

Try raising you MSM and keep shifting the Balance until you get different results.
Did it Grow?
Please, let it be a good grow.

BruceTrick
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:05 pm

I think that did the trick. I increased my MSM as Randy suggested, just a bit, and voila a very nice print. I'll keep tweaking to perfect results but I think I've got this now so thank you all for your help.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#18 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:42 pm

My latest. The cylinders are between 2.19 and 2.22 with MSM at 1.2. When I tried 1.1, nothing would stick.
B9 logo is pretty clear on all motifs. Edges are sharp, surfaces are smooth.
Releasing is a major snafu.
Attachments
IMGP7710.JPG

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#19 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:49 pm

If the cylinders are too big and the MSM is so low that it's not printing, then that's a sign that the actual projected image is too large. Go back to projector calibration and make sure the 2D printed grid scale you are using is spot on.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#20 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:16 pm

I've done that about six times in the last three day. Always sharp as a razor. I do it under 2X then 5X magnification.

Return to “Troubleshooting”