Everts NuVat

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
KBS756
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Everts NuVat

Post#61 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:24 pm

KBS756 wrote:.... Thx ended up with the base layer stuck to the NuVat ... Incorrectly calibrated build table ??

Apparently even worse after calibrating sticking to the damn build table so hard that both the build table and the NuVat stick till the build table lifts ... For the support layers ... Layers stuck to both the build table and the vat ... Anyone have any ideas ?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#62 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:25 pm

When u have the table calibrated, before u raise it, with screws tight, see if u can slide something really thin between the table and the vat window. Check all sides u can. If u can slide between the two your calibration is off.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#63 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Go back and test with the regular PDMS. You should be printing with the orignal method until u are getting consistent prints. No need to throw any unknowns into the mix, until u have experience with the machine.

Post your print data from the "sticking everywhere" print.

Robert Howle

KBS756
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#64 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Robert Howle wrote:When u have the table calibrated, before u raise it, with screws tight, see if u can slide something really thin between the table and the vat window. Check all sides u can. If u can slide between the two your calibration is off.

... Tried that can't slide thin paper under any of the 4 corners ...

Had all non eternity prints working just fine with PDMS ... was hoping not to have to deal with PDMS by switching to NuVat ... I feel like I may have too much going on, on the support base layer ...

gonna try with a single ring and see if that still sticks like this

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#65 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:22 pm

Are u printing with the Defautl settings u get with Mike's 1:1 mix test?

KBS756
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#66 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:39 pm

Yes I'm printing with the default 1:1 settings that Mike posted earlier.. The ones that auto calculate the exposure times based on his material settings

How Do I get the print details to post?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#67 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:28 pm

This is what my print screen looks like with default test for 1:1 at 30 xy and 30 z.

1 to 1 test.JPG

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#68 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:29 pm

@KBS 756

Go to "Help" at top of app. click on "copy settings from last print to clipboard".

KBS756
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#69 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:53 pm

K will do that in the morning ... I seem to have stumbled on another problem which may have been causing the issue....

Seems the hex screw for the side to side motor got loose so the Vat might not have had enough side to side force ... tightened it and running on a smaller build so far ... 20 layers ... seems to be working ...

btw how are people cleaning off things if they end up stuck to the NuVat ... having a hell of a time with doing that without scratching the coating ...

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#70 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:09 am

Send message to AK or one of the other testers, havn't had the problem.

Robert

ujd24k

Post#71 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:32 pm

KBS756 :

Did you fix the problem?
Because I having the same problem with the nuvat (first layer sticking to the coating Not the building table )
I check the calibration no gaps between the building table and vat.
last test I did same problem, when I try to remove the cure layer from the vat , I damage the coating :(
Now I going to have order another one.

But because of these problem I was forced to use only the one with the PDMS and somewhere in the Forum Robert say that he grow so many times with no cloud in the PDMS so I put extra resin on the vat so I cover the PDMS I only see it when the sweeper move the resin and now I grow more than Ten times with barely clouding in the PDMS, but since I'm in the chrismas rush time (I'm a Jeweler) nothing goes right , now my vat is leaking so I will have to remove the PDMS to take the glass to glue it back , good thing today was last day making orders, Until next Year

Happy Holidays
Regards
Gabriel M

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#72 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Guys,
I am using the Evert glass on 2 of my trays. 1 is on the acrylic tray which is a very good fit. The second one is on the aluminum vat and the glass in my opinion is smaller then the one that comes with the vat, so it is important to tell Evert which Vat you are using the glass on. Very important if you are buying his glass and coating.
If you are sending your glass, then there is no problem.
The bigger the glass is, the more surface area you will have to hold in the aluminum vat with silicone . This is important!! if you use the smaller glass on the aluminum vat, you risk having the glass come loose and spill material into the projector.So it is critical that you send him your glass to coat.
My first glass had slight scratches when I got it and became damaged fairly quickly due to the existing scratches or air bubbles which is what it looks like. My second glass has lasted about 30 prints and somehow, a small mark has shown up on the surface.
I use a thin sharpened edge of plastic , like and old credit card , just sharpened a bit. this seems to work if you do it slowly.

I have had pieces stick to the Evert glass coating, but did not get any damage until today on print # 30 ( I print at minimum 6 pieces on a platform and sometimes more.( thats like 90 prints). it is not in a place that will stop me from printing, so it is still usable. the damage was caused by a loose support .
other then that, I have seen no issues using the material.

KBS756
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#73 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:04 pm

ujd24k wrote:KBS756 :

Did you fix the problem?
Because I having the same problem with the nuvat (first layer sticking to the coating Not the building table )
I check the calibration no gaps between the building table and vat.
last test I did same problem, when I try to remove the cure layer from the vat , I damage the coating :(
Now I going to have order another one.

But because of these problem I was forced to use only the one with the PDMS and somewhere in the Forum Robert say that he grow so many times with no cloud in the PDMS so I put extra resin on the vat so I cover the PDMS I only see it when the sweeper move the resin and now I grow more than Ten times with barely clouding in the PDMS, but since I'm in the chrismas rush time (I'm a Jeweler) nothing goes right , now my vat is leaking so I will have to remove the PDMS to take the glass to glue it back , good thing today was last day making orders, Until next Year

Happy Holidays
Regards
Gabriel M

I managed to fix this by recalibrating several times and placing significant weight on the build table when tightening the screws ... Having big hands I find this awkward to do. I also damaged the original NuVat I received when removing cured Resin from the NuVat ... Since have learned to use a think card parallel with the surface to pull it up before using tweezers to remove.

I was surprised and a little worried about the Glass coming out of the Vat when I replaced the first NuVat I got and it came out very easily, so Used a diff RTV Silicone to secure it for the second one.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#74 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:25 pm

In my opinion when prints stick to vat it is always a table calibration issue. It is also important when u are asking questions to mention the resin u are using, even if u mentioned it before. We/I don't always go back to read the entire thread.

Robert Howle

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#75 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:45 pm

Ok folks, I'm ready to try the NuVat.

v1.2 machine, aluminum vat, I always use pure cherry, and stock settings

When I tried to calibrate the build table, the table would not reach the polymer layer on the glass. Just to show you pics, the coins are my attempt at showing you the height of the polymer layer. The coins are about equal to the height of the polymer.

with pdms layer, height about 6.3mm

with NuVat layer, height about 3.5 mm

Going back and reading Robert Howle's #15 post, it appears I need to adjust the "Z Home Offset (steps)" to equal 10400

Is this about right?

I'm just sorta cautious, I suppose...

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#76 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:53 pm

can you show us a picture of the build table in the position it is placed during calibration?

so the B9 moves your build table into position during calibration with the screws loose and the table is free floating does the table move up during this calibration?
does it come in contact with the glass?
I have a version 1.1 B9 I have no problem with my build table coming into contact with the glass when it is in calibration mode. during this process the table should move up as the arm moves down into calibration position.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#77 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:58 pm

To answer your question without pics:

Yes, the build table free floats above the glass when I go though the build table calibration. That's with the 4 screws loose and the table free floating off its holder; all the way down.

But when I go through the procedure, and the z-axis motor drops the table onto the glass, it never reaches it.

There's quite a gap between it and the glass.

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#78 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi lobby, have you read the first few posts of this thread? I had the same issue as you and shared how I solved the issue.......

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#79 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:19 pm

If the glass is lower than the original vat u will have to adjust the z home setting (200 steps = 1mm). u want the build table to make contact with the glass and then the arm continue ot move for a few mm (2 or 3 minimum). Don't forget to click save values when u make the setting changes.

Robert

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#80 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:01 am

Thanks, Robert. I appreciate the info.

Tajs, I'll go back and reread your posts. Some of us get cautious when we get old. :lol:

Return to “Troubleshooting”