Projector window troubleshooting and mod

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:36 am

Let this thread serve as a place to collect info for ver 1.1 machine projector window replacement, troubleshooting, and modification.

Let it be so!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#2 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:12 am

Aye Aye Capt!
So, Where can we buy the filters for the projector would be a good start. replacement parts ?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#3 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:09 am

I'm looking at having some made.
One set to "upgrade" the v1.1 (D535) machines for faster cure speed. Another to add to the D912, to prolong projector life.
These will need to be high temp and filter out hard UV(below 360nm) and IR.

For the v1.1.0 machine mods, we'd have to add new, v1.1.1 configs, to account for the increased energy.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#4 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:18 am

Mike look at microscope slide material. They have a certain two types that allow 96% uv pass through and another that shows temperature resistance up to 1200c ( overkill)

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:23 am

I think my internal filter or glass whatever must have evaporated or the Gremins stole it. Still need to go back in and see where it disappeared to .

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:31 am

If this glass is missing then why has my cure times gone up (instead of down) from 9 seconds to 40 sec or more on subsequent layers. What am i missing here. I have had no shut down of projector due to heat.

Is the purpose of my missing glass to avoid heat build up or what?

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi Robert,
I have the same issue with mine. I suspect this filter removes or changes some spectrum of Light and also acts as a heat shield .
On all my projectors except the first one,
I had less then 100 hours on the projector, so if that filter cracked I was exposing the interior sensor to a ton of heat and possibly the wrong color spectrum (almost new bulb). You probably have many more hours on your projector and the bulb is probably much weaker then the one in mine. That would explain why yours is not shutting down and you have long cure times.
Daniel G.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:19 pm

My bulb is only 200 hrs. Replaced it once.

Robert

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#9 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:13 am

It's definitely a mystery. In my opinion you should be getting some sort of warning. I do notice that most if the heat is blocked at the lamp. Robert do you have a fan blowing across the top of this machine for your PDms? Maybe your color wheel is not spinning and blocking that spectrum? I am not sure where your glass went. Was the metal clip there?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:34 am

Yes metal clip is there. I do now see something diff in the warm up. When a rectangle is projected at the printer (maybe 1/2 of build area) a small line or bar "walks" across the projected image. I also now am seeing two dif resolutions (just for a fraction of a second) in the projected grid. Now also seeing this image on the edge (closest to back of machine) of the build area grid projection. Almost looks like it could be the taskbar showing up. Never seen this before. I know image is out of focus, but appear to be small icons and very much in focus.

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#11 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:56 am

Probably has nothing to do with it, but the projected white bar is at a slight angle to the square opening. I think the projector is not dead square. I moved mine away from the square. definitely looks strange. Never seen that task bar showing up.
Is it possible when windows or the video card did an update that it changed the resolution. I have an AMD processor and Video card in my HP and it recently did an update that had me go back in and reset all the parameters for the B9. Probably grasping at straws.

If Mike sees this, I would like to find a set of new filters to put in mine and see if it goes back to working correctly.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#12 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:38 am

Go to the taskbar properties dialog and turn it off (multiple displays).
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#13 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks Mike. I knew u had addressed this before, just could not remember the cause and or cure.

Robert

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#14 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Mike, this is awesome idea! I have read on TI datasheets that 350-360 nm UV should pose not a big problem to the DLP chip. I have posted a links somewhere on forum.
But our lamp generates much wired spectrum down to 300 or even 250 nm. If that could be blocked it would be great! Also, yes it should be temp resistant.
BTW, you are talking about adding one to 912, so is it not installed there from factory?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#15 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:03 am

That would be a really good Idea!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#16 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:28 am

Still need to take my projector down and see if that mystery glass is somewhere in the projector. I am stumped.

Robert Howle

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#17 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:29 pm

Did find full lamp and assembly for my D535. Will have in a few days. Dont' want to install if I need the glass that is missing. Should I wait.

Robert Howle

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#18 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:30 pm

Beginning to think maybe this is why my first one failed around 200 hrs. I am on my second one at 200 hrs. I think the glass has always been missing from my projector.

Decided to send tech support at vivitek a question with regards to this issue. I really don't think my machine has ever had a glass in the opening. Now i'm wondering if I have interior damage from this being omitted.

In my message to them I asked where to get a replacement glass/lens. Will let all know when I get a responce.

Robert

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#19 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi Robert,
I would not put the new lamp in at this time. Get the replacement filters and get extra of the small one. It breaks more often then not in our application. When it does, problems happen. Just replace the filter and use the old lamp. It should work fine until the filter breaks again.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#20 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:29 pm

Hope I can get the filter/glass that i need. I will prob hold off then. But I will have a backup incase they get harder to find. Place i bought from only had 4 left in stock.

Robert

Return to “Troubleshooting”