Post#21 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 pm

oringinal machine 1.1 new HD version 1.2
Dance like nobody's watching!

awerby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#22 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks, Robert. But when I tried this, i got into Printer Manager, which allowed me to choose "B9Creator v1.1.0 at 75 microns". The Configuration Resolution was set at 1024 x 768 (like my projector). The only choice I get to make, under Projector's Video Port is "Display ID 1 (1280 x 800 Main Display). But when I choose that, I get an error: "Selected Display ID 1(1280 x 800 Main Display) is not compatible wth the currently selected Printer Configuration! B9 creator at 75 expects 1024 x 768"

Well duhhh. How do I get it to include that resolution as an option I can click on?

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

X axis motor failure

Post#23 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:47 am

You must first set up the projector to be recognized by the Windows operating system.

Right click on your desktop and select Screen Resolution (or as appropriate for your version of windows).

If the projector is connected you should see it.
It needs to be set to 1024x768 (for v1.1 hardware).
Make sure you are extending the desktop.

Measure Twice, Cut Once.

awerby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#24 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:41 pm

Okay, that helped. I got it to upload new firmware and accept the new settings for the new motor. But now, I'm not getting that "connected" word on the B9 panel, and when I try the printer test, where it's supposed to move to its home position, nothing happens - it just sits there. Is there something I need to do to wake it up after the firmware installation?

Andrew Werby

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

X axis motor failure

Post#25 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:05 pm

There is no more "connected" word. Instead, the main panel will have "Layout", "Slice" & "Print" if connected or "Layout", "Slice", & "Preview" if it is not.

There is nothing to do to "wake it up". But make sure the z axis is not at a limit (engaging either the top or bottom limit switch) as this will kill power to the motors. Do the toggle switches work at all?
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

awerby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#26 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:04 pm

Nevermind, I think I've got it working now - it seems there were some connection issues - and I'll try a print tomorrow. It seems to be passing the motion tests, and the toggle switches work, but while the Projector On test did turn the projector on, it got stuck there with no apparent way of getting out. I used ctrl/alt/del finally.

Andrew Werby

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

X axis motor failure

Post#27 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:21 pm

That's not a good sign, it must pass the test of both turning on and off the projector before attempting a print. Check the RS-232 cable connection between the printed circuit board and the projector.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#28 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi
Im having issues with the xmotor. i just ordered the 1.2 machine put it together and was doing my first print . the vat table has to move side to side but like an hour into print it just stops or cant move properly. Its like its lacks strength . running V 1.72
check video** printing just one ring with about 8 supports.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-e1ehnG-tA&feature=youtu.be

this is my first print .. any ideas* checked no dirt in rails* tightened the bolts that hold hand* i dont know what to do ahhhhh

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

X axis motor failure

Post#29 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:23 pm

Hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like the motor is running but the arm is not moving. Check that the two set screws that secure the arm to the motor shaft are tight.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#30 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:37 pm

ok ... when i use the manual switch to move motor all the way to right - the flat part is diagonal to the hand. does it matter where i tighten the hands regarding that motor flat head part. its a dumb question but ived tried it both ways and arm during print stops working.

free pic

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

X axis motor failure

Post#31 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:51 pm

Not a dumb question!
You should make sure that one of the two set screws is tightened against the flat part of the motor shaft to prevent it from slipping.
The toggles will only function correctly when everything is assembled. Trying to move the motor without everything assembled will just confuse the micro-controller and give unpredictable results as we need the feedback of the red slide table engaging the x axis home sensor.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#32 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:20 pm

Ithink my plate was not well calibrated. The plate holder black part was 2 tight against the screws and dint give me that loose fit for it to lower onto pdms and calibrate. I fixed that issue ..lubricated xmotor and now it would rotate all the way would not get stuck in that position**- tightend hand again.
My question now is... the pdms layer got some damge because of the motor not moving and im guesing buildplate issues as well. is this 2 bad i will have to recoat. its factory pdms only one print so far.. but looks bad.. its superficial

free image uploader

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

X axis motor failure

Post#33 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:41 am

honestly if those areas of bubbles are not in the field of the projected print area then No it will not be needed to change the PDMS
But
If the PDMS is separating from the glass and the printed model goes over this area it will cause the print to fail because of the surface of PDMS is
not flat.
Only thin you can do is try printing to it. You will definitely want to watch the print to see if the resign is flowing under the pdms ( that is very bad as it cures and is very difficult to remove.)

it is a risk .
but I have seen my PDMS separate close to the edge away from the print slide area well out of range and it lasted just fine.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

tobyramp@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#34 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Is that under the PDMS or on the top? Does the PDMS have part of it that is missing due to peeling cured resin from it?

awerby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

X axis motor failure

Post#35 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:37 pm

I made some extra ports in the bracket that holds the motor on, so that if I have to remove the lever arm again it won't be as difficult. I left that red cage off the motor this time, since I couldn't see what good it did, and it made assembly more complicated. (what's it for, anyway? The motor seems to work fine without it.) I put another flat on the motor shaft 180 degrees from the existing flat, and used blue threadlocker on the setscrews to keep them from backing out (as they managed to do). That and the motor upgrade solved my X axis problems, but I've got others - I guess I'll start another thread for them.

Andrew Werby

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

X axis motor failure

Post#36 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:23 am

The motor cage is just to protect the delicate encoder and wheel from being "bumped" accidentally. I've never seen any of the set screws back out after being tightened correctly and I don't recommend your modifications to others, but if it's working for you that's great.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

realmccoy
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: X axis motor failure

Post#37 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:15 pm

mikej wrote:This is the listing for the 131:1 motor: http://www.robotshop.com/en/pololu-gear ... -1447.html

If you use this motor with v1.1 hardware, you'll need to change the highlighted Settings below.

Mike, We had a drip of resin(or six) get unnoticed that resulted in the x axis binding, then basically burning out. I have ordered for fast shipping https://www.pololu.com/product/1447 as this is the only matching product to your above linked motor so I hope it will work. We ordered 2 as in queue is a print job that needs to be done yesterday and we will now have a backup motor for the future.
Onto my printer settings question.
We have a v1.2 machine and are using the 1.8.6 software version and need the NEW/CORRECT settings for the [Slide full Open Position] & the [Slide Home Offset]. Our current settings are 4100 & 590 respectively.
cheers,

-Jonathan

Return to “Troubleshooting”