Z-home offset?

Hardware issues, problems and solutions
squonk
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Z-home offset?

Post#1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:40 am

Hi, all. I have a scratch built version of the B9Creator. The motor driver board recently failed, and I made a new one. But now I am having trouble with calibration. The build table finds home on the z-axis but stops far short of the vat. I'm trying to remember how I set "zero" position using either the terminal utility or by modifying the Arduino sketch, and am hoping that someone can remind me what the Z-offset number in the Arduino sketch means/does. I thought that it represented the difference, in number of steps, between the home sensor and the zero position (resting on the PDMS), but changing it doesn't seem to affect the behavior of the Z-axis. Thanks in advance for any insight.

squonk
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Z-home offset?

Post#2 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 am

I got it sorted. Thanks.

Burnsjt
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Z-home offset?

Post#3 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:07 pm

Could you explain what you did to edit the Z-home offset?
I'm working on modding the Z axis on my B9 and may need to make a similar edit.

artur83

Z-home offset?

Post#4 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:28 am

From the Upgrade instructions:

"Type the following text (no quotes) "Y8135" and hit Enter.
This will reset the home position from the v1.0 value of 8985 to the v1.1 value of 8135. Failure to do this will likely result in the build table hitting the lower limit switch during the build table calibration."

squonk
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Z-home offset?

Post#5 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:45 am

Quote from Burnsjt on February 13, 2014, 20:07
Could you explain what you did to edit the Z-home offset?
I'm working on modding the Z axis on my B9 and may need to make a similar edit.

OK. This part of it always seemed a bit like black magic when I was building my printer. And, after I rebuilt the motor driver, I did a lot of thrashing around before I got things working again. Here are my notes that I jotted down right after I got it working. They may or may not be helpful to you:

I set the home position (Y0) to a random number around 5000. Then entered G0 to make the table descend to what it thought was zero. Next, using the front panel switch, I lowered the table to contact the PDMS manually. I noted the Z position value in the terminal utility window, subtracted that number from my original home position (the original random number I selected) and made the difference the new home position by entering Y[new value]. In the Arduino sketch, I set the Z-home offset to 0.

abus

Re: Z-home offset?

Post#6 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:58 am

Hey y'all,

but where would i find the setting/menu you are talking about?

Cheers

Return to “Troubleshooting”