Ring being printed lopsided

Any and all 3D Printing related topics
EPHO
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Ring being printed lopsided

Post#1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:57 pm

I am having some issues with printing rings with the B9.
First of all, as seen in the picture, the wax becomes thicker where it meets the support, making the whole ring look lopsided from the side. Also, it seems like there are extra wax printed in different layers. Could you please explain what may be the cause of these two issues?
Attachments
edit01.jpg
edit01.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
edit04.jpg
edit04.jpg (38.39 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
edit02.jpg
edit02.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
edit03.jpg
edit03.jpg (27.07 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Ring being printed lopsided

Post#2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 pm

U must have printed the band horizontally. If u read the forum u would have seen many discussions with regards to layers without support when printing this way.

U have to realize that a partially cured layer that is only 30 or 25 microns thick will droop or sag when not supported. This is the reason an angled print doesn't require as many supports. 40 to 45 degrees will suffice.

See the support system I use for horizontally printed bands. These were done in my CAD program. The foundation "ring" is 0.50 mm thick.

Robert Howle

Horizontal band supports.JPG
Dance like nobody's watching!

EPHO
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Robert Howle wrote:U must have printed the band horizontally. If u read the forum u would have seen many discussions with regards to layers without support when printing this way.

U have to realize that a partially cured layer that is only 30 or 25 microns thick will droop or sag when not supported. This is the reason an angled print doesn't require as many supports. 40 to 45 degrees will suffice.

See the support system I use for horizontally printed bands. These were done in my CAD program. The foundation "ring" is 0.50 mm thick.

Robert Howle

Thank you for your advice :)

I made support using rhino.
the result was quite better but there is still problem.
can you look at the picture?
there is the part that is not printed.

Also, PDMS got damaged. Is it because of the MSM?
before the next test should I replace the vat? :(
Attachments
fail.jpg
fail.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
damaged.jpg
setting1.jpg
setting1.jpg (80.85 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Last edited by EPHO on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Your Z setting should be 10400 .....not 10800. That is a stock setting.
Unless this was done on purpose...As it is, your parts won't come out correctly
Robert, can you corroborate?

EPHO
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:22 pm

Metalcaster wrote:Your Z setting should be 10400 .....not 10800. That is a stock setting.
Unless this was done on purpose...As it is, your parts won't come out correctly
Robert, can you corroborate?

Thank you.
I tried 10400 with 4 times but It kept falling down. I do not know why..
I print for test to show you. its not attached on build plate.
Attachments
10400.jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Z home offset should be 10400 like Daniel says. If u have missing elements in the print prob due to an area that has over hang and needed a support. Also could be a missing part in the CAD file. U can review the slices in "Print preview" slice by slice to look for missing area of the print.

Doesnt' really make sense that only one of the geometric shapes did not print since there are multiple shapes in that same plane that are identical.

What does your calibration print using the yellow resin look like. That would really help.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

EPHO
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:40 pm

Robert Howle wrote:Z home offset should be 10400 like Daniel says. If u have missing elements in the print prob due to an area that has over hang and needed a support. Also could be a missing part in the CAD file. U can review the slices in "Print preview" slice by slice to look for missing area of the print.

Doesnt' really make sense that only one of the geometric shapes did not print since there are multiple shapes in that same plane that are identical.

What does your calibration print using the yellow resin look like. That would really help.

Robert Howle

The test print was the final result with 10800. It was good, I broke it tho.
Also, i do not mean the only one of the geometric shapes did not print, all the bottom of geometric shapes are failed to print out.
can you take a look at the side view, i drew the line using red color. And It is the same file that i print with projet 1200 and form +2. I got a good result with projet 1200 but form+2 was failed. There is no missing part. And i took a look at slice too..

And how can i check and fix to print with 10400. every time i print with that setting, always not attached on build plate .

Please help me..
Attachments
fail.jpg
fail.jpg (86.33 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
tst.jpg

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#8 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:27 pm

The platform you are using is calibrated to 10800.
When you change to 10400 which is the correct setting, you must run the platform calibration again so that the platform is calibrated to 10400. Then Save this setting.
Then things will work better.

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:35 am

I would suggest running your stl through a mesh "troubleshooter" like Netfabb, prior to Layout.

jljr99
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:17 pm

Try to make those missing parts wider where they connect to the ring. This gives you a better and more solid connection to the ring.

The Z 10800 or 10400 is only relative to you build table adjustment. If your build table is set to 10800 as mine is it makes no difference. If you want to set the Z to 10400 (stock) you can do that but you need to a build table calibration. If you don't do a build table calibration after changing to 10400 your build table will be 400 about the pdms and your parts will not stick.

EPHO
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:57 am

jljr99 wrote:Try to make those missing parts wider where they connect to the ring. This gives you a better and more solid connection to the ring.

The Z 10800 or 10400 is only relative to you build table adjustment. If your build table is set to 10800 as mine is it makes no difference. If you want to set the Z to 10400 (stock) you can do that but you need to a build table calibration. If you don't do a build table calibration after changing to 10400 your build table will be 400 about the pdms and your parts will not stick.

Thank you finally I understand with Z home.
I set up at 10400 :) Thank you
And I will try to print that ring with your suggestion.

Return to “3D Printing”