Attachments
P1040150.JPG
P1040147.JPG

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: strange print glitch

Post#2 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:28 pm

By "identical" do you mean you duplicated a supported ring in Layout to create a copy?
They certainly did not print identical. When you open the Layout file are they identical? Something happened before slicing, because the job file seems to have two different rings in it.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

travisjohnson81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Looks to me that when you did the layout, you hit duplicate twice and there are 2 models on top of each other for the one that is not right. I would redo the layout

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:50 pm

Yea, that.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:37 pm

Definitely That... I can see the other ring that is inside sticking out .

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#6 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:26 am

I'd not be so sure. As I said somewhere earlier I saw few (one or two in fact) times when after slicing there was some weird glitches of model "half-doubling" or once it was "flipped piece". But it really happened very rarely - like once or twice in my almost 2 year practice. Also I heard here on forum of the same glitch once from someone else. So I believe that once in a blue moon everything is possible. Especially with software :)

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#7 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:35 am

Yep, looking at that again, it looks like something very strange happened during the slicing.
Would help if we had the original stl and layout files.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:13 am

mikej wrote:By "identical" do you mean you duplicated a supported ring in Layout to create a copy?
They certainly did not print identical. When you open the Layout file are they identical? Something happened before slicing, because the job file seems to have two different rings in it.

Yes I duplicated one supported ring in Layout. Once. There is only one ring model there, the anomaly is the top half of that model, mysteriously cut, duplicated and offset. The entire shank was built and meshed as one piece and it is not possible to cut a model in half in the layout, so I'm baffled. The anomaly also ends abruptly at the last slice of the two "good" rings' build area, which seems to indicate that the glitch occurred during the slicing process and not the layout process. Maybe it didn't like the song that was playing in the background? :roll:

Only one model is needed so, barring casting problems, there will be no need to run this job again. If it does become necessary I will definitely redo the layout first... and make sure a nice song is playing when slicing it... ;)

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Just to be sure the moldels checked out as good water tight stls? I make sure the box is unchecked that will allow u to export "bad" stls when working in Matrix. Box says "Export open objects"
stl settings 2.JPG
stl settings 2.JPG (30.2 KiB) Viewed 2270 times

Robert Howle

travisjohnson81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:30 am

Robert Howle wrote:Just to be sure the moldels checked out as good water tight stls? I make sure the box is unchecked that will allow u to export "bad" stls when working in Matrix. Box says "Export open objects"
stl settings 2.JPG

Robert Howle

This has definitely saved me many times

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:49 pm

Lots of good suggestions, I would just redo the layout and retry the print.
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#12 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Talked with RobertW and he did reslice and all was ok. Just seemed to be a slicing glitch.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#13 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:11 am

mikej wrote:Yep, looking at that again, it looks like something very strange happened during the slicing.
Would help if we had the original stl and layout files.

In my cases when I got such a glitch I just re sliced all the same layout with the same files and glitch was gone. Maybe it's something with memory-CPU issues?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#14 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:05 am

That could be Tim. We are close to releasing the next version of our software and that will include a 64 bit version for windows, which will increase the memory available to folks running 64 bit versions of Windows (Mac and Linux are already 64 bit).
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#15 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:00 am

I am definitely having a few memory issues(no pun intended) on few Very large files, so this may solve the problem! I hope.

Return to “3D Printing”