layer shift

Any and all 3D Printing related topics
Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

layer shift

Post#1 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:26 am

Not sure what to look for other than projector slip, I recently readjusted and tightened. Prints after this were fine before and after.

I was going to set this up for casting ,it will wait for now.
what do you guys think.
Michael
Matrix 7.5, Zbrush 4r7, Minitech minimill 2, B9 Creator V1.2

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

layer shift

Post#2 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:53 am

Happened on other prints, or just this one? How thick is your base, should be just .5 mm. If u over cure the foundation base or it's to thick, it can curl and pull away from the build table. Just thinking out loud. Also did this go all the way around the print?

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

layer shift

Post#3 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:50 am

Also could be ordinary bumping - if you seriously (or not) bump your printer while @ work.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

layer shift

Post#4 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:40 am

Could also be a pause/resume artifact or even just opening the hatch while printing. For best results, once the print level reaches the ring, don't touch the printer. :)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

layer shift

Post#5 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:42 am

Artifacts like this can also happen if the foundation comes a bit loose. A thin (< .5mm) foundation is best when making your Layout.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

layer shift

Post#6 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:55 am

SO measured the foundation and the print is 0.90 mm, the layout was set to 0.50mm. the foundation does seem to be warped.
I will be reprinting and a making sure I do not touch it. I cannot recall if I bumped or opened the hatch.

The shift is to the right. and did not happen on the next print which was more standing up rings.

Thanks folks, i will let you know if it happens again.

Michael

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

layer shift

Post#7 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:07 am

Just fyi, if the model foundation is .5 and the actual is .9, then the table failed to squeeze out the last .4 when it lowered into position for the first layer. This can cause failure of the model to adhere to the table (first layer too thick). This is often a sign that the table calibration is off. And not always off as in "too high", too low can cause the table to impact the pdms surface early and "tilt up" a bit causing a too thick layer also.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

tobyramp@hotmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

layer shift

Post#8 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:14 pm

I think the projector moved. At one point I did this by putting pressure on the vga cable. I now keep the cables behind the printer and out of the way.

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

layer shift

Post#9 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:25 am

Just to follow up, ran the print again not problems. To be safe I changed out the VAT with my new one and recalibrate the table.

I noticed my older PDMS is already getting cloudy from this type of layout as above. this approach seems to be harder on the PDMS?
I was thinking the grow lines would come out more uniform, also less hangover areas and easy to clip off supports.

Any feed back is appreciated.

Michael

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

layer shift

Post#10 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Any time the pattern repeats, it's harder on the pdms, so laying the ring down like that would do it.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

layer shift

Post#11 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:06 am

move the ring to a different position on the build table
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Return to “3D Printing”