OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Any and all 3D Printing related topics
Eddie J
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:02 am

http://oldworldlabs.com/product/owl-nano/

"the OWL Nano positions its laser source just centimeters from the voxel. This decreases beam distortion and allows the highly tuned, single strand laser to focus on an area as small as 1/10th of a micron. "
"Layer Resolution: .1 micron"

Really? So it has a cure area the same size as the frequency of UV light?? In 1 um layers? Something smells like BS there...
A: Using a laser 100nanometers across - how long will it take to cure a 3cm x3cm area? (thats rhetorical :P)
B: Curing layers of 1 micron, how long will it take to build a part 3cm tall... bearing in mind rhetorical question A
C: With specs like these, why does OWL prints look so bad?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MHn4yujFDcU/Us6pfr_iH8I/AAAAAAAAW6A/CbrISAZjAO8/s1600/OWL+Nano+3D+Print+001.png

etienne
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#2 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:01 am

hey cool, a new deep fryer.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#3 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 am

Trying to sell to niche market of micro modelers I think.
Dance like nobody's watching!

cl2635
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#4 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:41 am

quoting from another board,

'So i thought i would follow up on this one. Im starting to think its a bit of a scam. I sent them models to be test printed ages ago, every follow email i send them results in a reply telling me to wait another week or two, then last week i was told to wait another 5 weeks while they start production on the machine itself ... so in sum, they cant/are avoiding providing a test print and are apparently selling these to people who have not had any test prints done themselves. Ive only seen the photos of some prints from the machine on their site that IMO does not look like its 100nm build res.' Could it be a mistake when they claim resolution at 100nm when it could be 100microns ?

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#5 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:59 pm

So I was curios and called the 800 number gotta say not many startups give an 800 number
got a recording choose sales and left message. A salesman or an owner called me back with in about an Half hour and told me the 4900.00 amount was determined by the original model but since they went to mass production everything has changed as well as the electronics, software, etc. they do have a resin capable of casting but he didn't elaborate on it.
In addition I asked if it was still 4,900.00 he said it was higher now with all the improvements on the machine and they are making one specifically for jewelry that will print at a 10 micron. No firm price or completion time yet. I think it's legit. just another grower among all the others.
My opinion is the B9 will still win hands down.
I am sure that like the pico starting out at 3,900.00 and is now over 6 grand or more for one that will even come close to making jewelry they are all hoping the lowball price gets your attention for the upsale. I am seeing this alot on many of the kickstarters and Indiago crowd funding making promises and then finding out it isn't quite that easy to mass produce, it is actually more costly in some cases to mass produce.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#6 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:48 am

I saw some Japanesse SLA machine that was able to do some realy spectacular prints. Like hollow tubes inside brick some 0.1-0.2 mm across. And they were really true round shaped tubes. But the price was something like tens of thouthands (if not hundreds) dollars.

Eddie J
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#7 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:15 pm

They said a new one for jewelry will be doing 10micron layers?... so why do they claim 1 micron layers and 100nm laser on this one? Image

These guys just dont feel legitimate to me

cl2635
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#8 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:58 am

I think they're still trying to figure out what is micron, what is nm and what is mm. xD

Rabs1
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#9 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:31 pm

I suspect that those claims are the product of a marketing department with no technically trained staff. Their engineers are probably cringing at every press release.

john_bull714
Lurker
Lurker

Re: OWL Nano SLA... Really?

Post#10 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:13 am

it was all bull s**t - they did obtain money from various institutions including NASA and University of Illinois never intending to ship anything (we know - its sad because it stops other legitimate companies from getting the seed money they deserve with really true, innovative technology; after those institutions get burnt.

we bought into the 'hype' also - until the truth finally came out. oh well.

Return to “3D Printing”