x-motor failure (v1.2, 30xy)

- Operation
- Troubleshooting
Viktrovius
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

x-motor failure (v1.2, 30xy)

Post#1 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Hey guys, I recently replaced my x motor (original had kind of a grinding sound) and the new motor was working fine for 4-6ish prints and it will now stop/stall every 25 layers or so. I get the loss of power/jammed mechanism error, and then I try to start the print up again it moved no problem for another 25 ish layers and stops again. Sometimes it will just outright stop working however, and I can't predict when. I tried to plug my old motor back in and the toggle turns the old motor no problemo.

I'm going to purchase a new USB cable tomorrow and try it with a new cable ans see if that's related. In the mean time, anyone else have this issue?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: x-motor failure (v1.2, 30xy)

Post#2 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:34 am

Need to make sure u tightened the screws on the arm on the flat spots of the motor spindle, it could be slipping.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Viktrovius
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:49 pm

The screws are tight. If it were slipping it would still make a sound and you would be able to see the exposed wheel spin. I came in today to a failed print and now there is no movement at all, even after removing the motor from the machine. I will order a new motor again and see how it goes.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:05 am

These motors are easy to fix. The problem is the internal screws that bolt the motor to the gearbox start to come loose. You need to remove the red holder, then you will see the loose screws that hold the gear box casing to the motor. These screws usually come loose and may need to be re-tightened. If you are careful, you can open the gear box casing and put some grease inside. This will help the gearbox last longer and reduce the noise of the motor itself. Then put it all back together. When I am done rebuilding and testing to make sure it works, I then use electrical tape
around the outside of the motor and gearbox connection area. This stops any vibration of the motor which is what causes the screws to eventually come loose.
Put the unit back in the same way it came out and you should be good to go.

For me , the PCB/ circuit boards have been problematic. I have replaced them on both of my b9's at least 3 times each... You should check all connections to the circuit board .
The X motor when you have to spend a lot of time tuning the machine is the cause of the PCB board going bad. usually the tray gets stuck a little , then, the X motor tries to get the tray loose... this constant trying is what will damage a component on the board that has to do with the x motor.
once that part o the board is damaged, the other parts will still work.So, My bet is the PCB circuit board is damaged.

Viktrovius
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Update: I got a replacement and it's working so far. Fingers crossed.

I did take it apart actually, and the gearbox was fine, but the electrical component (machine sealed) is where the problem is. Do you mean you put the tape around the circumference of the seam between the motor and the gearbox? I might try that to reduce noise.

I considered whether or not it was the PCB that was giving me grief but since it powered and moved my old grinding motor, I decided that it couldn't have been the case yet. I made sure all the connections are tight.

I have noticed that when I use the Cherry resin, the X motor sometimes struggles to slide the vat away from the table. Mostly during the base layers. It appears that the suction between the new layer of resin and the PDMS is too strong? Or somehow the distance between the build table and the PDMS is smaller than the layers printed so far? I don't know how to describe it really.

Kind of off topic, but I think I'm getting Z wobbles? It looks like it's pretty regular in repetition so I'm wondering if the Z screw needs maintenance/modification/replacement. And insights into this?

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#6 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:33 pm

Yes, I tape where the motor and the gear box join. When I bought new x motors a long time ago, I opened them and found the screws were not tight... So if it gets a little noisy, thats what to check.
The Z should not run out. I put a small bearing/housing at the top of the case to hold the Z rod from being able to wobble. Wobble does create lines.

Viktrovius
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:44 pm

So I started my third print on this motor (total run time around 4 hours ish) and the same problem happened like last time (motor stops responding and I get a power loss/jammed mechanism error). I will seek a PCB replacement tomorrow as this is interfering with my workflow immensely.

Would you be able to show me how you added a bearing? I would like to do the same if it helps to reduce wobbles. I'm not so much getting lines as much as round objects come out with cusps. Images below.

If you look at the highlight of the resin on the right side, you'll see what I mean. The shank isn't smooth but bumpy?

And other issue I've been having is that the front and back of my prints look different. One side is always crisper than the other and it's starting to become a huge problem.

This side is crisp.

But this side is blurry.

Any advice? Sorry for the barrage of questions.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#8 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Not really sure whats causing 1 side to be blurry and the other crisp. Probably has to do with the angle the ring is at. ? is the inside of the ring slightly oval? looks that way.
I would run a calibration print for the projector and post a picture up here or, better is to send to support and they will give you some suggestions to try.

Attaching a picture of the sleeve bearing I made. I also modified the case. The hinges are on top and the door folds up instead of down. Much easier to adjust the printer mechanically that way. You could take an L shaped piece of metal/ bracket, drill the correct size hole in the L Bracket and set it in place with glue to hold it... does not require any more then something to stop it from wobbling. Mine is more permanent as can be seen
Attachments
Sleeve bearring.jpg
Sleeve bearring.jpg (33.12 KiB) Viewed 131 times

Viktrovius
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:14 am

The ring is upright, perpendicular to the build table, and the inside is round (I checked against a mandrel). I will re-calibrate the build table and the project just to make sure and then run a calibration print and post it here.

I'll make a note of that once my warranty period is up. I do notice the screw wobbling a bit at the very top but I don't know how much of an issue that effectively is. Is it worth getting a new Z screw rod?

Backtracking to the original topic, my original x motor somehow is working again (nothing was done to it) so I have reinstalled it and ran a 6.5hr print with no jamming errors. What the heck? I'm baffled.

I am, however, still getting the wobbles.

If you look in the shadowed part of the shank on the right, you can see the wobbles.

Return to “Hardware”