Solvents to safely clean the vat with?

General material & B9Resin discussions
edefault
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Solvents to safely clean the vat with?

Post#1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:47 am

Hello,

I'm working with B9Creator V1.2 (the updated machine form the original kickstarter campaign) and switched to the more comfortable molded (orange) vat. One of these got its PDMS ruptured somehow, and to my surprise the spirit (methanol) I use to clean the vat from residues of resin began to agressively blind the plastic window under the PDMS.

I tore off the damaged PDMS immediately and cleaned the vat from both resin and spirit with soap and water. Unfortunately, the solvent had already left permanent traces on the window surface.
I guess it is made of polystyrene or something which is not insoluble against metanol.

So my questions are:
What solvents are safe, e. g. do easily get resin off the vat surface without etching the clear plastic in case the PDMS does not perfectly seal it?
Would it be a good idea to use glass instead?
Maybe the PDMS silicone can't get off a glass surface in case it needs replacement?

TIA

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Solvents to safely clean the vat with?

Post#2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:45 am

Isopropyl alcohol is recommended, available in all drug stores. You can use 70% or 90%. ISo is "oily" and more so in the 70%. If u clean with it u may still need to use a microfiber cloth and some Iso or the soapy water. Also u can clean with just Dawn dish washing soap and warm water.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:12 pm

You might be able to "rub out" the cloudy areas using a plexiglass polish and a microfiber cloth. I have buffed out scratches with that method. Auto stores sell a version of it, used to buff out scratches on headlamps. Plastics suppliers well the best stuff, though, the Novus polishes, which cone in different grits so you can progressively polish the plastic finer and finer.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:52 am

I use automotive grade wet and dry sandpaper (I have grits from 180 to 2000 grit). Way better than reg wet dry because all the particle sizes are the same. Don't have odd ones sticking up and leaving deeper grooves in the finish. Use it on my jewelry too. Walmart has it for the best price. 800 grit will polish well for jewelry but if u want very little time at the polisher then hit it with the 1000. Mainly use the 2000 for platinum.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

Return to “Materials”