Dirty Prints

B9 Core Series - Ideas and Discussions
ethere11

Dirty Prints

Post#1 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:35 am

Hello.
I was just wondering if anyone can guide me on cleaning techniques and tell me what I’m doing wrong. Also wondering if it’s possible that it’s something to do with the resin or anything else I haven’t thought of.
After printing we may leave parts in the b9 for up to 5 hours under a black cover. We then clean all the parts with a toothbrush hot water and soap(clear dawn) it’s at this point we often noticed that there seems to be a delicate layer of resin that can be scratched off with a finger nail which we believe is our problem. Next step it warm soapy water in a ziplock inside an industrial grade ultrasonic.We do this twice draining and replacing the water/soap mix in between. After sun curing in water/air drying all our prints look dry and covered in a light green pulp.
We used to simply use alcohol, toothbrush and hot water and got better results but we found that the alcohol would sometimes separate our print layers causing cracks. Any suggestions? I miss our clean prints
Attachments
IMG_7437.JPG
IMG_7437.JPG (59.36 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_7435.JPG
IMG_7435.JPG (57.13 KiB) Viewed 717 times
IMG_7434.JPG
IMG_7434.JPG (93.21 KiB) Viewed 717 times

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Dirty Prints

Post#2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 pm

I swirl the print in a mixture of 50/50 blue dawn and water and then put in 120 degree water (plastic container, or hot ultrasonic with just water) and ultrasonic the container for 3 to 5 min. Rinse and repeat. should have no resin to cause this. When u see no milky substance coming off the print then it will be clean. If the ultrasonic is too powerful don't leave the print in too long. It is not cured and u can cause damage to the uncured print. I would not leave it longer than 1 or 2 min at a time. and check the surface for damage.

NO tooth brush until after cleaning and curing is completed. This can damage the print.

I, for one, don't use any ISO.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Like Robert said NO TOOTHBRUSH!!!

I too use dawn soap and water in a plastic baggie in a hot ultrasonic for 3 or 4 minutes then rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat again if necessary
Depending on what it is and how much resin has clinged to the model will determine how many times you clean it.

One other thing do you notice a difference between cleaning the resin model within the hour of print finishing on the printer compared to a print that has sat in the printer for 5 hours?
I would test that theory. I have left my print hanging overnight, in the printer, before if I start a long print before I leave work but otherwise I don't leave it in for much more than an hour using the same cleaning process I described so I have not experienced this.

Plus I use a B9 curing machine and have never left it in the sun. I just don't know how it can cure better than the UV curing.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

ethere11

Post#4 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Thank you guys! We will stop using the toothbrush. We were just looking for a way to ensure that our logos are clean.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:45 pm

I use compressed air to blow out any residuals in fine logo's and prints.

Return to “General Discussion”