Print tips for cilinder with thin walls

B9 Core Series - Ideas and Discussions
Leo_Aguiar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Print tips for cilinder with thin walls

Post#1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:16 am

Hi guys,

I have a model (attached) and it has 0,5mm (500 microns) thick walls. The B9 Core prints with a resolução of 50 microns right?

However, we are having trouble printing. One wall has even formed a hole by its self.

Any tips for printing this part?

Thanks

SacaConeGastro11mm.stl
(12.09 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Print tips for cilinder with thin walls

Post#2 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:34 am

could you post pictures of how you are orienting it to print and also the hole that developed, and what resin are you using?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Yes, need a screen capture of your layout.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Leo_Aguiar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi guys,

I had no luck getting a print screen or photo from who's printing this part for me.

The person who is printing the part for me says he knows the correct positioning and best practices for printing with the B9. He says the 0,5mm thickness is below the recomended minimum of 0,7mm and that when trying to print something below that you end up playing a lottery game where sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

The part is positioned standing up with the base glued to the tray with a foundation. He says that if he orients it in another way the supports will make more holes on the part. The hole that was made on the first attempt to print was on the bottom.

He says that unless the dimensions are changed this is the best result for the part. Even with this minimum thickness the part is very weak even though he is using the most resistant resin, the Black.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 pm

Sounds like you found yourself a real expert..../endsarcasm

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:50 pm

I'd be interested to know how supports (which are supposed to support the piece as it grows and make sure it's all there) are making holes for this chap. General suggestions are to angle straight edged parts because building parallel to the build plate requires a lot of support and still might not work, and when a wall is perpendicular to the build plate the same portion of PDMS is exposed for every slice which can lead to a clouding issue in the PDMS and failed part pretty quickly. There are other reasons to angle the part as well, less resistance from resin as the vat moves is one of them. If this guy is going to fight you tooth and nail about it, make it .7mm thick and sand it down? or ask one of the pros here. I think metalcaster and couple of other guys are almost always willing to test a print on their super well maintained and calibrated machines. If anyone can make it work, they can. Otherwise I suggest you have your guy swallow his pride and take suggestions from others who use this machine as well.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:13 pm

Leo_Aguiar wrote:Hi guys,

I have a model (attached) and it has 0,5mm (500 microns) thick walls. The B9 Core prints with a resolução of 50 microns right?

However, we are having trouble printing. One wall has even formed a hole by its self.

Any tips for printing this part?

Thanks

SacaConeGastro11mm.stl

If you have an STL Core model you should be able to open that in Rhino and then get a screen capture.
or
ask him to post a picture here since he is using a core he must be a forum member if not tell him to get his butt over here and we can help him.
there are two Core machines one is the 530 and the other is the 550 (with the larger footprint)
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#8 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:52 pm

If u are printing a cylinder snapped to the floor with no place for the resin to escape the tube then u can have trapped air inside the tube. This is why I am asking for a screen capture of the layout or a photo of the "bad" print.

You should be able to print at .5mm thickness, but again, need to see the layout.

Post your model and I will do a layout if I think it will print. Or u can send me the file howlere@gmail.com

Robert Howle

Leo_Aguiar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:02 am

Hi Robert,

The file is with my first post at the top of this thread.

Thanks

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:57 am

I would recommend trying something like this. U can wax up the openings after printing.

You can try with 2 openings or 4.

Cut tube 1.JPG

Cut tube 2.JPG

Robert

Leo_Aguiar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:16 am

Hi Robert,

Thank you for the help. Why did you remove a small semicircle at the base of the part?

Thanks again.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#12 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:25 am

If u had read my post above from Sept 29 at 10:52, it's so the resin can flow in and out of the "corral" created by the print. This helps avoid trapped air which can cause the "holes" in the print. If no resin present because of trapped air then the layers can print with holes.

Robert Howle

Leo_Aguiar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Robert,

Thanks! Now I get it. I had no idea what you meant by air getting trapped inside the part. Thank you for your patience and sharing your experience.

Return to “General Discussion”