- Installation
- Operation
- Troubleshooting
ethank
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

software wish - paint / repair individual layers

Post#1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:29 am

I wish there was way to fix small gaps in my print by just painting on the layer in the sliced file as sometimes its a huge pain to track down the error in the stl and then reset all the supports etc... Would there be a way to have a little paintbrush tool so that if one or two layers have gaps in the stl I can just fill them with white so that my part works without going back to CAD? this would be amazing! please please please! thanks

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: software wish - paint / repair individual layers

Post#2 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:12 pm

You can save yourself a lot of problems by running your model through an object checker before you export. Repair it first.

Make sure the box is checked on the export pop ups that won't allow u to export a non manifold (water tight) model.

Don't boolean all your parts together. The software slices intersecting solids. Many things can happen when u start a bunch or boolean operations.

Dont' think I have ever tried to print a model with a problematic stl. Do the work before u export.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:39 pm

I do understand why you wish there was a tool to help you out with this. The best way to solve this issue is to design the model in CAD exactly how you would like it to print out. This way once you export it as an STL. your ready to print with out any further modifications.
So as your designing the ring/model keep in mind how the machine prints and make sure that all of the surfaces are touching. Are you the CAD designer or are you printing out models that a CAD designer gives you?

Best,
Fernando
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:24 pm

ethank wrote:I wish there was way to fix small gaps in my print by just painting on the layer in the sliced file as sometimes its a huge pain to track down the error in the stl and then reset all the supports etc... Would there be a way to have a little paintbrush tool so that if one or two layers have gaps in the stl I can just fill them with white so that my part works without going back to CAD? this would be amazing! please please please! thanks

Add the 3dm cad file that is giving you problems here so we can see what is wrong
An STL is not useful to see what the problems are.

What machine are you using?
What software are you using?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

ethank
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 am

I thank you all for your comments and agree totally, that to do something the right way at first is better, and I always solve the problem by going back to the model and reworking it. I'm just putting this wish out there to the developer if they read this that this paint feature is something i would love and would save me hours many times over.

I work in rhino and the mesh repair option isn't the best and the models I make often get warped or artistically worked in moments of inspiration and end up having areas that are impossible to see in the model but that leave tiny gaps or overlapping mesh surfaces and normally the b9 is great.

But i tell you when there are gaps in just a few layers that I could color in it drives me crazy to go back to the model and trouble shoot for hours... then to re-slice then to check in preview then to repeat...

anyway that is my 2 cents. Not sure how hard a software tweak this would be. Even if i could export the layers to adobe illustrator and color in there then re import the layers I would be happy as could be...

ethank
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Well it turns out there is already a way to do this! after researching further I discovered the slice manager, which I did not even know existed.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1796&p=18104&hilit=export+slices#p18104
AK your even on this thread! u keeping secrets ;)?

So awesome, wish granted case closed. Love my b9

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:18 pm

ethank wrote:Well it turns out there is already a way to do this! after researching further I discovered the slice manager, which I did not even know existed.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1796&p=18104&hilit=export+slices#p18104
AK your even on this thread! u keeping secrets ;)?

So awesome, wish granted case closed. Love my b9

I thought about it on my last post but failed to include it as an option mostly because you have to go through every slice and when
you have 1200 slices to scan through it becomes time consuming.
Fortunately for me I have the M8 vers. of matrix which comes with a "mesh repair" tool that was designed to fix problems.
I was going to use your 3dm and run it through the M8 software and send it back to you But also wanted to see where it is failing to help with
your work flow.
Granted I have become even more lazy now that I have the M8 mesh repair tool but I still know we should be modeling so we have water tight models.
Good to see you here too. The mesh repair tool in M8 was worth the upgrade alone.
your still welcome to send me the file
akgold@mosquitonet.com if you don't want to use this forum
:)
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Return to “Software”