- Installation
- Operation
- Troubleshooting
24kgold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Minor printing issue

Post#1 » Thu May 28, 2020 3:47 pm

Hopefully this is just a software issue.

Suddenly, the last few layers of my projects aren't printing. This occurs on the highest piece that is in the print. Everything prints perfectly with the exception the last, probably 10 to 15 layers. obviously I can add wax to complete the model, but this shouldn't be happening.

Do I need to re-install the software, or is there something more sinister at work here?

Thanks.

Terry

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: Minor printing issue

Post#2 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:13 am

What printer model and firmware version? - Thanks
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

24kgold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:14 am

printer-Creator V 1.2

firmware V 1.8.6

It's been working perfectly since day one. Has only done this on the last 3 prints. However, I ran a new print last night, and it didn't do it. Printed perfectly, so it's sporadic. Go figure. I guess it's like being sick and on the day of your Dr. appointment, you feel good.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Fri May 29, 2020 12:42 pm

did you move the print to a different location on the build table of the second print?
You may have to filter the resin and mix with new resin and clean the vat or replace the vat surface.
check the model in the software to see if there is a problem with the model on the end of the print as well.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

24kgold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:26 pm

It seems to be a software issue. I reinstalled the software and so far so good. since the last layer had a mirror finish, I had a feeling it was the software. I also noticed that the build plate wasn't going as low as it should when it lowered for the vat fill. I'll let you know if it happens again. I know it's time to upgrade to a core but just can't yet.

24kgold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 pm

Well, it's doing it again even after a software re-install.

the problem is sporadic. Sometimes it prints perfectly, the next time it will leave a few layers off at the end of the print. As a new test, I ran two identical prints back to back. one printed correctly and the next one didn't. and, sometimes the build platform doesn't go all the way down to the fill level from the home position. It lowers down to about 5 mm above the resin level.

Is this a software issue, or, could it be an issue with the laptop computer? It's not a vat or resin issue. It seems to be mechanical.

Terry

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#7 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:21 am

This is most likely a hardware issue since the software hasn't changed. I would investigate the home sensor and wiring first and then look to see if the z stepper motor might be slipping where it's coupled to the lead screw. Also check that the linear slides are clean and lubricated and not causing the build arm to stick as it moves up/down.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

24kgold
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Good advice. Thanks. I will keep you posted.

Return to “Software”