- For Sale
- 3D Printing
panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

offtopic question for jewleryshop owners

Post#1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:39 pm

HI
I have been thinking about buying a gold refining machine since i am always doing alloys and sometimes i run out of pure gold and have to order. SO to make story short i wanted to know if there was someone in this forum who knew what machine actually works ----point me in the right direction ---small shop in mind--- few ounces per month..if you dont wana mention brands on public forum just send me a private..
thanks

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: offtopic question for jewleryshop owners

Post#2 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am

Can Anybody Help#

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:36 pm

I have been in the business for almost 40 years and I have yet to see or hear anything good about do it yourself gold refining.

Shore was the most popular back in the 90's but you have to deal with fumes and chemicals that you really don't want to have in your enclosed shop area. in addition to that it didn't really work very well.

Refining gold is not as easy as it sounds as it requires too many hazardous chemicals to do on a small scale.

I would buy gold from your local bullion seller in no less than 1 ounce rounds or bars. bars are the cheapest.

If you find a way to refine scrap let us all know but I don't think your going want to do that.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:54 pm

Like AK says it's a real pain. Tried a few times and not worth the time spent.

Find a reputable refiner and send your bench sweeps and scrap and just take bullion as payment.

Local "gold buyer" may be a good source for the same. I buy scratch and dent coinage from mine at spot, usually. They pay the most under spot gold for this type of material. Best chance for lowest over spot price for me.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 pm

I havent heard anything good about shor products...i found a small machine there are several companies that sell these types of machines just wanted to know if there was anybody here using them.. here is one i am looking to get if i get real facts on it. I find it strange it only has one review most of these are scams but u never know technology is making everything possible.

http://www.goldrefiningsystems.com/REFI ... _p_23.html

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Hi Pana

I had a shore salt system about 1986. What a waste of time, money and gold. My counter tops are still stained purple which is gold. Guess I pissed away 5-10 oz trying to make the system work.

Maybe things have improved but I have always been happy to give H&S their cut and let those who refine, refine.

Regards
Franz

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Hi franz

I was really hoping i could get a gold refining system for small shop -since everything has become more available to public 3d printers b9creator 8-) ...4-5 axis cnc laser engravers ect...ect.... but i guess i will just have to keep sending my gold to refiner**** I dont want or have space for toxic fumes and waste managment.
I never heard one good story from shorr products....thanks this is why i ask forum always..

mnap89
Lurker
Lurker

Post#9 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:21 am

I refine gold myself. No need for fancy equipment. Just hotplate, fumehood, glassware and few chemicals. 999 no problem :)

rkundla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 am

You will always need some sort of hazardous chemical to separate the precious metal from the junk. That refining kit assuming it works only requires nitric acid - nasty none the less, but less nasty than aqua regia! Neutralizing nitric acid to dispose of it isn't too difficult.

The electrolytic methods seem to be less hazardous than pure chemical methods, but almost all of them involve the generation of either explosive hydrogen gas or noxious nitric oxide which can kill you. ;-)

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:34 pm

yeah i havent had any good feedback from any of these companies..i have given up on the idea for now maybe 5 more years. The positive side i have saved up some money and i am looking to buy a 4 or 5 axis mill before my wife finds out wax wood brass---ect.. need more toys in shop.. :D

Aaron RMW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 am

Do it! Quick! Before she requests something for "The House"... :lol:

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#13 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:51 pm

The only easy to use unit I ever had was a recovery system to remove gold from cyanide "bombing" solution. It was great and easy to use but the disposal of the "neutralized" solution was a headache.

This was in a factory setting where we bombed all castings to remove scale. This was back in the nugget world or rings and bracelets.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:57 pm

I've refined "a lot" myself when I was having trouble with a refiner's accountability. They were shorting me. So to prove to myself that my numbers were correct, I refined my scrap gold.

My yields were spot on. The refiner WAS shorting me.

That said, once I found a reliable refiner, I stopped the refining. I gave away 3 gallons of nitric acid to a jeweler who wanted to keep refining. Good riddance.

Here's a 2 oz or so bar.

Frankly, refining is too much hassle. The 2% or so that a refiner charges you pays for a lot of headaches.

Oh, I use Safina Materials in Conroe, TX. They're chemists and chem engineers, like me, and can talk chemistry if we ever have a problem. We haven't had problems, btw.

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:01 pm

Oh, and you don't need an Ishor system to refine. I suggest instead understanding the chemistry so you can figure out what to do.

There's a book in the internet written 80 years or so ago that teaches jewelers how to refine. I can't remember the author's name right now. But when I get home I'll look it up.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

lobby wrote:Oh, and you don't need an Ishor system to refine. I suggest instead understanding the chemistry so you can figure out what to do.

There's a book in the internet written 80 years or so ago that teaches jewelers how to refine. I can't remember the author's name right now. But when I get home I'll look it up.

Did you ever find that 80 year old refining book?
kinda curious

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:36 pm

might not be same one hes talking about but it has the info you are looking for.
there is a gold refining machine for about 30k but its pretty big made in turkey. but i never found anything that would work in a small shop like mine. So if anybody has come up with a machine for under 15k im interested in info or links.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#18 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks I will look it up.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#19 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:53 pm