3d scanner use for making shadow bands

- Tips & Tricks
- Links
- For Sale
- 3D Printing
Chuck

3d scanner use for making shadow bands

Post#1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:03 am

I have been getting more and more requests for shadow bands with, and without diamonds that would follow the many curves and indentations that rings nowadays seem to encompass. Thinking that a cheap 3d scanner would be nice to get a total 360 of the engagement ring, import it then build off of it
So the question does anyone have experience doing this or know of a relatively cheap scanner that would serve my purposes, and of course if someone has found another way of making shadow bands that didn't include using a 3d scanner, I'm here to listen. Thanks

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: 3d scanner use for making shadow bands

Post#2 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Been modeling shadow bands using Matrix for over 10 yrs. If u have the model, because u made the engagement ring, no problem.

I take three views of the ring (top, end, and through finger), scale to finger rail after trimming away the unwanted parts of the images. Then just model, just takes a little time. Have a video somewhere I can send or post on making shadow bands in matrix. You can import image using "View" > "picture frame". These are surfaces that can be trimmed.

Model using curve from 2 views, etc.

On the subject of a "cheap" 3d scanner that will give good enough results to give u a mesh file to model with, the short answer is, "there is no such animal". If u got 20k to 30k then there are some out there i think that will do what u want.

Robert Howle

Shadow band layout.JPG
Dance like nobody's watching!

Chuck

Post#3 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:34 am

thanks for the help Robert, that is basically how I've been doing it up to now, was just looking for an easier fix or maybe a new toy, could be both :D

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:47 pm

I see $1k scanners on eBay every now and then. Chinese made. They report resolutions that "should" work for our shadow band needs. I just haven't wanted to spend the $ on an experiment

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#5 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:10 pm

aren't there any on kickstarter right now? I swear I saw some scanners available few years ago. Best way to find something for cheap although it might be a gamble.

johnh
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:04 am

I've been using the "trace edge" method since 2004. Unless you are doing a ridiculous number of shadow bands I would suggest saving your money. Daniel Coffey has a very nicely made youtube tutorial on shadow bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khJHjenBm8Q

Just saying

Return to “Cool Stuff”