Surface Roughness

- Operation
- Troubleshooting
MarceloM

Surface Roughness

Post#1 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 am

Guys and Dolls, I am experiencing surface roughness on all surfaces facing the back of the platform. My C530 grows very nicely everywhere on the platform but as more items are added, the ones closer to the back are growing with what appears to be an orange-skin look. This happens with green or yellow resins growing at 30 and 20 microns. I am attaching 2 pics of last ring. It has already been cast to see (it would be impossible to see it in yellow).
Resins are being filtered going in and going out of the bottle. I don't see sediments in them.
They have been at room temp and warmed to 90F. Vats are new and look new with less than 10 hours each. Any ideas will be welcomed.
THANKS !
MarceloM
Attachments
orange skin side.JPG
good side.JPG

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Surface Roughness

Post#2 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:57 am

Check the surface of the glass bottom of the vat. any smudges or finger prints on the glass bottom or glass inside the machine will cause that. I use Zeiss lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth.

Also check to make sure u don't have a "shadow" image on the print surface of the vat. Cleans with ISO and micro fiber.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

MarceloM

Post#3 » Sat May 04, 2019 11:47 am

OK, I will do that and test ... I found the pdf on how to do it with a small flashlight ... when searching the forum nothing came up under "rough surface" .... I see some hazyness ... will
cleanit up and do a test run - THANKS RH
MM

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#4 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:32 pm

when was the last time you let the vats oxygenate??

tilt the vat or pour out the resin either way clean the window with ISO
allow the vat to sit without resin covering it to get the window to oxygenate.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

MarceloM

Post#5 » Mon May 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Tim, Yes, I am pouring all resin back to the bottle between growing sessions.
The VAT has many hours of air-time between groing sessions. After a through cleaning,
the surafce smoothness has improved a bit, but it is still there. So, I grew the test file.
What I see is all 11 of the panels' front facing surfaces are smooth. All of them, even
the panels near the back. And all 11 panels' rear facing surfaces (even the ones
in the very front) have roughness from half way up to their very tops.
Here are 3 photos to explain it better ... 3 front facing panels are smooth but backs aren't.
smooth front side.JPG

Right-Rear panel has roughness from its half way point (yet, its other sides are smooth).
rear right.JPG

Rear-Left is not as bad as Rear-Right but has some roughness (yet, its other sides are smooth).
rear left.JPG

Help ! ?
MarceloM

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#6 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:46 pm

Did u also clean the glass window inside the printer. Any smudges on any of the three surfaces will cause this. I think u are missing a surface that is not completely smudge or finger print free. If u are sure all are clean and no "shadow" image on the printing surface of the vat contact support.

Robert

MarceloM

Post#7 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:37 am

Robert Yes, I used the microfiber I received with the machine and some 91% isopropil.
Thank you for all your hellp thru the years .... because of you I am here ... :)
I used a small flashlight to reflect the beam and verified it and the Vat's bottom were perfect. The inner glass had a haze that may be due to leaving the Vat in there for too long,
too many times. If you can smell the resin it's because something is evaporating, right ?
I think that evapopration is causing the hazyness .... "won't do dat no more".
Yet, notice how the panels (and my rings) look OK for the first 10mm, of growing and then
the suraces (facing towards the back) begin to experince roughness.
I have grown the file again at 50 microns and it looks exactly the same.
Could the software be doing something to create it .... ?

MarceloM

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#8 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:50 am

Sorry you are having this issue! This is not a software issue, this is typically due to small light haze on the glass in the printer, it doesn't take much. If cleaning the glass inside the printer doesn't fix this, contact support.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#9 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:25 pm

MarceloM wrote:Robert Yes, I used the microfiber I received with the machine and some 91% isopropil.

I used a small flashlight to reflect the beam and verified it and the Vat's bottom were perfect. The inner glass had a haze that may be due to leaving the Vat in there for too long,
MarceloM

So to be clear you cleaned the glass window inside the Core with ISO?

I would not use Alcohol to clean glass. use an actual spray on glass cleaner and a paper towel.
Then use the microfiber clothe to wipe it clean that is what I do.

ISO Alcohol alone is just not a good cleaner and always leaves a film.

MarceloM

Post#10 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:38 pm

Tim, I am beginig to think that Denatured Alcohol is need to fully remove resin from glass.
I noticed that on the third clean cycle with isopropil .... will try again tomorrow.
thanks,
MarceloM

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#11 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:14 pm

MarceloM wrote:Tim, I am beginig to think that Denatured Alcohol is need to fully remove resin from glass.
I noticed that on the third clean cycle with isopropil .... will try again tomorrow.
thanks,
MarceloM

I don't have that problem with "fumes" from resin depositing on the glass.
I clean my glass once in a while.
I received one of the first ones out from B9 and I think I might have cleaned that glass
maybe 2 or 3 times as just part of maintance not due to poor prints.
you can clean it with ISO if you want to but make sure you follow up with using
a good Glass cleaner and a paper towel or a lens cleaner towel. Then follow up with the flash light and your
Microfiber clothe.
Don't just use ISO.
Unless you have physically spilled resin on the glass there should not be any from it's daily operation.
But it will never hurt to make sure that glass is clean.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#12 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:06 pm

The best thing I have found is the Zeiss lens cleaner in the spray pump bottle available from Walmart in the eye glass store and use a microfiber cloth. ISO is kind of an "oily" substance and can leave a film like AK stated.

Make sure u check the underside of the vat, this is where just an errant finger touch can cause the type of problem u are having.

Robert

MarceloM

Post#13 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:55 am

I am happy to reply that all is well now .... cleaning the glass top inside the chamber with denatured alcohol 3 times has erased the surface roughness problem ! I believe that a VAT with resin should not be stored inside the chanber. Resin will evaporate and deposit a thin
layer of highly sticky resin on the glass. The microfiber cloth had to be washed the second
time of cleaning. It had absorbed a miniscule amount of resin that I was spreading very nicely all over the glass with isopropil. Isopropil does not break down the resin molecules.
The solution for me was to fold the cloth 3 times and keep track of the 6 faces. Use each of
them only once with denatured alcohol or the Zeizz Lens Cleaning Kit. The same goes for the outside bottom glass surface of the VAT.
Thanks Everyone,
MarceloM

dfurlano
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:29 am

Robert,

You use the Ziess cleaner on the inside of the vat also?

Dan

MarceloM

Post#15 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 am

No ... nothing on the membrane .... just wiping it clean with the microfiber cloth ....
... do you know if it is OK to use a solvent ?
MarceloM

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#16 » Tue May 14, 2019 11:34 am

I have stated in the past that I use the Zeiss lens spray on all the surfaces that light must pass through.

I also stated that it is not recommended by the staff at B9.

This being said, I have seen no ill effects on the printing surface. I am approaching nearly 800 hrs of print time on a single vat.

Robert Howle
Last edited by Robert Howle on Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

dfurlano
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Dan

Mhgjewel

Post#18 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Robert where do you get the Zeiss glasses cleaner in a bottle? Are the wipes just as good?

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#19 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Mhgjewel wrote:Robert where do you get the Zeiss glasses cleaner in a bottle? Are the wipes just as good?

Amazon Walmart any place that might sell Eye glass accessories

Mhgjewel

Post#20 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:56 pm

is it the zeiss clean screen gel spray?

Return to “Hardware”