Having issues with Emerald resin.. Better luck with B9 Cherry

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 70 micron slice thickness
perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Having issues with Emerald resin.. Better luck with B9 Cherry

Post#1 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Hi,
Anyone running into casting issues with the B9 Emerald resin? I send out my prints to a local caster and lately the prints from my B9 Core using Emerald resin have been problematic with surfaces coming out rough. My caster is asking me to return to using B9 Cherry resin. We almost never ran into casting issues when I was using Cherry resin on my B9 v1.2.

I'm trying to figure out what the problem is as my caster says he has not changed anything in his casting process and prints on the same tree made made with Cherry resin submitted by other customers casted well while my Emerald print came out rough.

Could it be due to contamination of the glass beaker? I had left a metal tong in the beaker once and it had rusted. I did wipe it clean but wondering if left over residue is causing some sort of reaction during casting? If I'm not mistaken, there were issues when past owners used metal vats that weren't anodized.

Or could it be because it didn't cure fully in the B9 LED lightbox? I left the print in the LED lightbox for a total of 14 minutes (7 minutes each side).

Or could it be because the prints weren't properly washed with alcohol etc? I just give it a quick rinse under tap water, then in a beaker with water and little alcohol before a final rinse under tap water. I have cut down on wash times compared to when I used cherry resin but the final parts don't seem sticky at all.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: Having issues with Emerald resin.. Better luck with B9 Cherry

Post#2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:22 am

The statement made way back that raw aluminum was causing issues, which is why the vats were anodized,is not true I have run all the B9 resins in a plain aluminum vat that was never anodized without issues. My platform is sanded aluminum.
I suspect that the issue is caused by curing and possibly cleaning.
You could send it to us for casting... If there is a failed casting, we can reprint it and re-cast.
We have 3 different curing systems and we usually run other peoples prints through our curing system before casting as a safety.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Perpetual, what curing is being done by u and what method. Also what cleaning method are u using to remove uncured resin after printing?

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

RobertW
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:47 pm

I've found that the emerald resin cleans up great with (very) hot water only. No soap, no alcohol. While still on the build platform, I rinse off the prints with hottest tap water and blow off with compressed air. Then remove from platform, put them in a baggie with the hot water and sonic it for 10 minutes. Rinse, blow off, and repeat with fresh hot water in sonic for 5 minutes. Blow off again then place under UV (in water) a few minutes. Then blow off models and remove all the supports (not too close!), then back under UV to cure fully. Then rotary file down the support nubs and clean up grow lines with rubber wheel at the bench. Finally, another short UV cure.
Also, we now use the 325F >1 hr ramp first to further ensure all models are fully cured (thanks Robert H!).

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#5 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 am

Robert Howle wrote:Perpetual, what curing is being done by u and what method. Also what cleaning method are u using to remove uncured resin after printing?

Robert Howle

Aside from using B9 LED lightbox (short cure times) instead of a cheap nail curing box (hours to cure), I have not really changed my cleaning/curing process much. I just rinse my models under warm tap water while rubbing with fingers wearing a disposable rubber glove. Then I drop it into a small beaker with warm water and a few drops of rubbing alcohol while rubbing with fingers once again. Then its rinse clean under tap water before it goes into a waterfilled beaker and into the B9 LED lightbox for about 5 mins x 2 sides. I used to cure models in a cheap nail curing box for upto 4 hours when I used B9 red/cherry mix and never had any issues during casting.

If it has nothing to do with a contaminated beaker (I had some metal paper clips left in the beaker that turned rusty), I'm going to guess it may have to do with my LED cure times. I will have to put prints in the LED box for much longer and try rotating printed models in four directions. Uncured parts seems to be the most likely cause.

The first time I ran into casting issues with B9 Emerald, I had cured parts for 5 mins x 2 sides and thought the issue was a contaminated beaker. I reprinted a second time using a clean beaker and cured for 5 mins x 4 sides and the cast came out very well.

The recent print came out bad again and I had cured for 6 mins x 2 sides only. Will try and leave it to cure for much longer next time.

How long do you all leave your prints in the B9 LED box for?

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#6 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:48 am

Update.. So I increased my cure cycles on the B9 cure machine to 8 cycles of 9+ minutes and am finally getting smooth casts. I'm sure most don't need this kind of cure cycle for clean castings. My caster is unlikely to change his burnout process as he casts a lot each day and has never had problems with it, so I will probably have to stick with this cure process.

Anyone using Yellow resin know if that requires less curing time compared to emerald resin?

Return to “B9R-3-Emerald”