B9 Emerald is so boring (in a good way)

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 70 micron slice thickness
lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

B9 Emerald is so boring (in a good way)

Post#1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:18 pm

I still have about one liter of red / cherry mix, but decided to try emerald.

Yep. It's boring. Boringly easy and reliable. I have absolutely NO issues with it at all.

- it seems to grow more reliably than with cherry (and yellow)

- it seems that it bleeds less than cherry (with emerald, to make small rings the correct size, I scale by 1.005; with cherry it's 1.015)

- it casts better than cherry

Life is good. Thanks, Mike and the B9 team! B9 Emerald does not suck! :lol:

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Re: B9 Emerald is so boring (in a good way)

Post#2 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Thanks! Now if we could only get an Emerald version of the 2016 presidential race. :roll:
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:33 pm

Don't tempt me, Mike. I promised myself that I'd never talk politics here or on the CAD forums.

Gosh, but I want to. :mrgreen:

jbdesigns

Post#4 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:30 pm

We are also using the emerald green resin. We have experienced poor castings recently. How long do you cure ? Are you using the curing unit that the manufacture sells ? How long do you let the models dry before you invest them ? We are using a standard investment R&R and burn out cycle. We have cast several samples from the b9 distributor and have had great results. our first models (in the emerald green) off the b9 were a ring to be cast in platinum and a small canoe paddle. The ring was invested and cast using a platinum investment. It cast fine not perfect the canoe paddle after about a week we invested ( standard R&R ) it also came out fine no probelm. Now as we are printing and attempting to cast more standard investment items we are having the issues. The only difference is shelf time on the models printed. We are using the manufactures recommended curing machine and are now curing for 9.5 minutes instead of the 2.5 We are trying to print, cure and invest same day and cast the following. All of the recent attempts have come out really bad. Extremely porous surface. I have attached some images. the sprue is regular wax so it does not have any issues.
Attachments
2016-12-06 11.34.59.jpg
2016-12-06 11.34.55.jpg
2016-12-06 11.34.17.jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:07 pm

With the B9 model cure unit it takes 2 to 6 min depending on model. No drying time on the print. Can be invested as soon as cured properly.

I use SatinCast and water, broken arm machine, and small 8 x 8 inch oven. No problems here.

like has been stated many times here. Cure properly, air flow through oven, and reaching hight end temp of 1350 F for min of 2 hrs. Many thermocouples are not accurate. I recommend to set the controller to 1425 to make sure u get to the required 1350F. My K type thermocouple was off by approx. 50 degrees. Once I change the ramp temp to 1425 on my new oven all my probs went away. Also drilled 12 holes 3/8 inch in the bottom of the small oven to get the oxygen i needed. Never had a problem wiht my old industrial sized oven. It finally died and changed to small oven becuse stopped doing production work. Started haveing lots of issues till i increased the air flow.

If u were getting good castings and now u are not then something has changed. Just figure out what, and u will be fine. Dont' blame the resin, many of us are casting it and the other b9 resins daily. Just remember it's not wax, and temps and curing and oxygen availability really matter. You must have all three.

Just some thoughts.
Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 am

"Print, cure and invest in the same day" seems like a difficult schedule to meet, unless you work longer than 8 hours.

An average ring takes 5 hours to print, so that doesn't leave much time.

My schedule:

Day 1 late afternoon:

- setup print job to print overnight

Day 2

- first thing in the morning I remove prints from build table, wash them with dishwashing detergent, and place them in a UV nail curing kit for two or 3 hours, under water

- I then microwave them underwater for 4 cycles of 2.5 minutes, letting the water cool (and adding some if necessary) between cycles

- I invest in Plasticast. Satincast is also good, but I find Plasticast just a bit better. I let the flasks sit at least 2 hours before starting burnout.

- late in Day 2, I place in oven and burnout overnight

Day 3

- I cast in the morning

I plan to purchase the UV Curing box from B9 soon. That will eliminate the microwave stage...

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:37 am

Lobby, are u printing on the v1.1. Most of my prints take 3 to 3 1/2 hrs. on the v1.2 at 30xy and 30z. I cure for 3 to 6 min. in the B9 Model cure, build my trees. Invest, wait 1 hr., into the oven for casting in the wee hrs., or the next morning. Have to admit, I do work 12 to 16 hrs a lot of days (all days during Christmas season).

If I start a print and have it finished when I come in in the morning, I will be casting that evening.

Robert Howle

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:28 pm

No, I'm on a v1.2 at 30xy. One of the early machines that I bought from Mike at JCK.

For this signet ring, it took 4.9 hours for 1363 layers. Too long?

lobby
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:35 pm

Since I normally burnout overnight, I haven't cared to optimize the burnout schedule.

I do this:

Full ramp to 300F, hold for 3 hrs

ramp to 650F, hold for 1 hr

ramp to 1425F, hold for 3 hrs

ramp to 900F and cast after the flask has temp equilibrated for at least 2 hrs

Oh, I've used cones to confirm my temps. The setpoint on my oven has to be 1350 F to have 1425 F actual.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:29 pm

I only do the 300 for 1 hr.

700 for 1 hr and then 1450 for 2 hrs (3 for larger pieces)

I ramp at the max of 999/ hr. Faster the better between 700 and 1450.

Works for me with SatinCast and water.

I only let my flask bench set 1 hr before putting in a room temp oven and start the burnout.

I do mix my investment a little thicker than is recommended.

Robert

Return to “B9R-3-Emerald”