Emerald Resin Curing for Casting

A lost wax capable resin tuned for 30 - 70 micron slice thickness
Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Emerald Resin Curing for Casting

Post#21 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:21 am

Daniel I'm going to send u out a new box tomorrow.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#22 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks Robert,
I have pieces ready to cure.
My other test yesterday worked fine with the green, but I had to cure in my old light box.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#23 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:41 pm

Going out Wed. Had to put a radiator in my truck yesterday. What next?

Robert

johnh
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#24 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:44 am

I too have noticed that my B9 light box is not curing Emerald green in 2 minutes. As soon as I received the B9 Light box I cured several light pieces for 2 minutes. They were still rubbery so I cured them 9m50sec and again 9m50sec.They were still rubbery. I was not going to attempt casting a rubbery model so I went back to the microwave. Microwaved them for 3 minutes X 3 and then felt they were cured enough to invest.
Now I microwave for 2 minutes in distilled water then transfer them to the empty water dish in the B9 light box and cure for 9min50sec twice. That seems to cure them nice and hard. Also, I might mention that the castings have all been good.
Just not sure if the lightbox is defective or what but my green models are not curing in 2 minutes as stated.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#25 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:55 pm

If it's "rubbery" then it's still pretty green internally. That's more a factor of the MSM. The light box will hard cure the outer skin of the model quickly, but internally takes longer (and is not as important for casting, IMO).
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

johnh
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#26 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:18 pm

OK thanks Mike. All of my model and calibration measurements are dead on so I don't intend to change my MSM. I'll just continue curing in the microwave and then the light box. Whatever works. :D

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#27 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:22 pm

I have been curing and casting with no problems on light items for only 2 min using the Model Cure. Really heavy items only 6 min. Don't understand these issues. Hope we figure it out. I have notice that when the pieces come out of the box they are not as firm. When they set for a few minutes they harden up (they are more rigid). I sand, drill, etc. No issues after 3 months of use curing the Emerald Green.

Robert

jbdesigns

Post#28 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:50 pm

noahbern wrote:Much better detail... But it harder for the customer to see details

24kgold wrote:
noahbern wrote:Yellow works better for casting.. Hands down. Also it takes a red-shade when fully cured

What is your curing process ?

Detail prints as well as emerald?

Just purchased a b9 about a month ago. We fully explained the use of the machine was to be for jewelry design and casting. We were also told that the resins will work with regular investment with out additional steps. The distributor sent us the emerald green resin. Really great detail but we are now experiencing bad castings. We cure for 9.5 minutes in the curing unit that came with the b9. We have previously cast( with good results) b9 resin samples from the b9 distributor using regular investment and our standard burnout. One of our first prints after setting the machine up (a small canoe paddle) very simple design cast great with 2.5 minutes curing and about 3 to 5 days on the shelf before investment and cast. Every thing in the process is the same. The only thing that has been variable is the shelf time of the models ( samples from the distributor, and our own paddle design) There is no way of knowing the exact curing process used for the samples that we received. Our curing process was controlled and went from 2.5 minutes on the canoe paddle ( good casting) to 9.5 minutes curing. The first cast was cured at 2.5 minutes with now time on the shelf came out bad very rough surface. Second one cured 9.5 minutes again no shelf time came out the same "bad" the 3rd was cured again for the 9.5 minutes and failed as the others. I am seeing others on the forums that are experiencing the same issues. I have attached some images of some of our fails.

Is the yellow resin a b9 product ? What investment are you using ? I have heard of a 3rd party yellow resin. If this yellow resin is the best for regular investment ie: R&R ultra vest / Kerr sating cast and not offered by b9 where do i get some ?
Attachments
2016-12-06 11.34.17.jpg
2016-12-06 11.34.55.jpg
2016-12-06 11.34.59.jpg

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#29 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:53 pm

ok that don't look good.

so what is your burnout temps? are you ramping it up or setting it to top end like I do
I set it to burn out at 1450 degrees. Ramp from cold oven to 800 to 1000 deg F within an hour and half.
by hour 2.5 it is at 1450 and it stays there for at least 3 hours then it comes down to cast temp.

that is if I want it done today otherwise it is set and I go home for the night and come in in the morning and lower the oven to 800. my casting temp.

Also if your using the B9 curing unit are you using it with water? I am sure your are but had to ask because if you aren't then it isn't going to work as well.

another thing is if your using satincast like I am are you letting it sit for at least 2 hours to cure? If not you need to do that. and I also mix mine using slightly less water depending on how it looks. Too much water (use COLD water) and it needs to sit twice as long.

Another suggestion could be using the formula I have used in the past adding Boric acid to the water and using that to mix in the investment. I use it particularly with fine detailed or lettering on rings just to make sure. It cures hard and fast so insead of 9 minutes you have barely 7 so you have to be quick.
search on the word boric acid to find the formula picture I posted many times already. I don't have access to it right now but you will find it.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#30 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:53 am

looks like incomplete burnout ot me. Like AK says u should be using water in the B9 curing unit.

Are u cleaning the prints before curing to remove the liquid resin.?

Robert

Return to “B9R-3-Emerald”