Regarding as treatment(cleaning and curing) after printing

A general purpose resin tuned for 20 - 200 micron slice thickness
sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Regarding as treatment(cleaning and curing) after printing

Post#1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello everyone,

After printing with black B9 resin, how do you wash and cure the modeling?
Would you mind if I asking you the good way to do that?
We print with black resin.

Because the modeling won't be curing completely somehow; as our Robert said, it has still resin smell(the sign of uncuring), the surface is slightly sticky and hard silicon touch, not "solid" completely as the sample of the agency.

In our case, after printing, we clean(dip) it in the polish remover several times which the agency delivered with B9v1.2, then we leave it a place of sunlight more than a day.

Our responsible may introduce UV(which spectrum 395nm-405nm).
cf.) viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2760#p29157

Sincerely,

sophie

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Regarding as treatment(cleaning and curing) after printing

Post#2 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:01 am

I suggest staying away from Isopropyl alcohol. You can get print cracking. Wash is concentrated solution of dish soap and water. Clean in the ultrasonic for 5 to 10 minutes. Then cure in sunlight or UV light box.

Don't always depend on the "smell test". I used that when heat curing and was very careful with time and max temp.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:02 am

Hello Sophie,

1.After the print is finished remove the build table and put it under the tap water to rinse any resin left.
or you can use an ultrasonic for this
2.Put some dish wash on the prints and rinse with tap water again.Make sure you NEVER touch the prints
or try to clean them by hand.at this stage they still fragile cause they are not fully cured.
so just use the pressure of the water
3.After you have cleaned the prints remove them from build table and put them in a plastic bag full
with warm/hot water.(see photo attached below)

After that place the bag either outside in direct sunlight or in a uv box and leave them to fully cure
and you are done..no smell or tackiness feeling after that

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:37 pm

Hello Robert,

>I suggest staying away from Isotropy alcohol.
I see. Actually we've already cracked the prints after cleaning. Thanks to you I could find that it was not only because the prints were delicate.

And, ok! I don't depend on my nose when solar or UV curing.

Hello andreas,

Thank you so much for your advices with photo. It's very king of you.
I NEVER touch by hand during I clean the print.

>at this stage they still fragile cause they are not fully cured
yes I felt as it were crawfish just after cast the shell.
__

It depends I suggest to introduce ultrasonic.

sophie
Last edited by sophie on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Botha
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:33 pm

Robert Howle wrote:I suggest staying away from Isopropyl alcohol. You can get print cracking.

might be lucky, but we have not experienced that. i was getting "cavitation" of a sort, and kind of what looked like layer seperation from ultrasonic cleaning though. but id suggest its from being in too long, from trying to get all the resin out, especially the bigger builds.

we run under hot water tap now for a few seconds to get worst of the resin off, (still attached to build table) then clean in a vat of isopropyl fo a few seconds (still attached to build table) and it serves purpose of cleaning both.Then back under water to rinse alcohol off then separate from table and under the reptile lamp for few minutes. no ultrasonic at all now.
Matrix8.0, Rhino5, 3DCoat4, 5 Axis MinitechMinimill2, Envisiontech Perfactory, B9 1.2.
Be the Shepherd, or be the Wolf... Just never be the Sheep.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:44 am

Chris i was also getting many problems from the ultrasonic.
i do not do jewellery but figures ,so maybe the bigger size affects in some way.
i was noticing after 1-2 minutes in 30 watts layer separation ,or some fragile parts were detaching..
so i stopped using ultrasonic and clean the prints only with water pressure

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:07 am

I clean close to the same way Chris does.
Leaving models on the build platform, agitate in alcohol bath for 10-15 seconds, hot tap water rinse.
Repeat until clean. I usually leave them a little slimy. Then distilled water spray and take off build platform.
UV and solar curing. Sometimes submerged in water, sometimes not. When the slimy feel is gone, they are cured to high heaven.
No heat, no ultrasonic.
I clean a half dozen to dozens of models at a time in under a minute.

Alcohol will definitely crack models due to over exposure. The 1:1 Mix is pretty tough, but the MadeSolid clear yellow resin is easily degraded, thus the short, repeated baths.

I stopped using Dawn because the resulting little globules of resin had to be snaked out of the drain pipe.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#8 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:11 am

Using water, dawn, alcohol or any other liquid, If you put it in a left over dunkin donuts clear plastic container and put it in the sun, All Print scrap material will harden . Then pour the liquid through a filter and recover the scrap so it does not go down the drain. When the scrap material is cured ,it is safe to put in the trash... but ONLY cured materials.

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:38 pm

Hello Chris,

Chris Botha wrote:then clean in a vat of isopropyl fo a few seconds (still attached to build table) and it serves purpose of cleaning both.Then back under water to rinse alcohol off then separate from table and under the reptile lamp for few minutes. no ultrasonic at all now.

Putting into isopropyl alcohol "a few seconds" might be good to dry off the water effectivement.

In our case, since we dipped into a neil polisher which contains acetone several decade seconds(much more longer than you) and several times(as the agency advised..),the print damaged, I suppose.
s.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:22 am

No one has ever recommended acetone. I would not use it. U don't need alcohol. Soap and water to remove the excess resin and then cure. U don't need to dry because u really should cure under water if possible.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:55 am

Robert Howle wrote:No one has ever recommended acetone. I would not use it. U don't need alcohol. Soap and water to remove the excess resin and then cure. U don't need to dry because u really should cure under water if possible.

Robert
Thank you very much for your helpful advice.
It was new that it depends we should cure the print under the water until I was advised by you and andrea,
and no need alcohol or nail polish solution like a which contains 10% of acetone.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:32 am

acetone will dissolve/destroy your print..
there is a myth that aceton is good to polish /finish the prints..
don't even bother trying..

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:52 pm

andreas wrote:acetone will dissolve/destroy your print..
there is a myth that aceton is good to polish /finish the prints..
don't even bother trying..
No, when I'll print I won't use them.
I appreciate your advice, andreas.

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Dear everyone,

Recently I use warm water of temperature from 40 to around 55℃(and detergent for dishes) after modeling for rinse resin.
I concerned about it deformed, however it looks ok and easy to remove resin than water.

I haven't have ultrasonic yet.

s.

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#15 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:08 pm

sophie wrote:Dear everyone,

Recently I use warm water of temperature from 40 to around 55℃(and detergent for dishes) after modeling for rinse resin.
I concerned about it deformed, however it looks ok and easy to remove resin than water.

I haven't have ultrasonic yet.

s.

Are you saying that you are seeing the model deform using water and soap? If so please show before and after pictures.

I have never experienced that and I am using a hot ultrasonic in Dawn soap with water.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#16 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 pm

Dear akgold,

akgold wrote:Are you saying that you are seeing the model deform using water and soap? If so please show before and after pictures.
I'd believed so. It would deform if I rince with hot water. However it has not happen yet.

akgold wrote:I have never experienced that and I am using a hot ultrasonic in Dawn soap with water.
It means do you put hot water in ultrasonic??
Thinking about burden on ultrasonic, water ultrasonic and a filled a beaker Dawn soap with warm(or hot) water are better I think.

Sincerely,

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#17 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:04 pm

My ultrasonic has a heater. when I turn it on it heats to around 130 deg F.?
anyways it is hot you can't stick your hand in it.
I also should have said I use to put the models in a heavy plastic baggie like you get from findings shipped to you.
Then I found a plastic water cup I had and started using that for adding water and soap to and sit it in the ultrasonic
on the rack. Works great.
I don't recall heat distorting a model and I haven't heard of it as a result of cleaning in hot water matter of fact
there for a while people were curing their models in water in the microwave.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

sophie
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:54 pm

You have a high-tech ultrasonic, akgold.
I calculated, 130F was 54℃. It's almost same temperature that I use.

TGIF

Return to “B9R-2-Black”