Casting Black Resin

A general purpose resin tuned for 20 - 200 micron slice thickness
User avatar
noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 374

Casting Black Resin

Post#1 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:13 am

Has anyone had great success with the black resin?
Please let me know. Thanks

User avatar
noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 374

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:20 am

Feel free to message me if you want....

User avatar
mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator
Posts: 4168
Contact:

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#3 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:34 am

We don't claim the black is "castable" like red & cherry. Some have had success but it's not designed with casting in mind.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

User avatar
noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 374

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#4 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Just trying to see what other people are doing...

User avatar
Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator
Posts: 6557

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Have cast small parts and thin rings with no problems. Havn't tried any heavy pieces yet.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 1157

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#6 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:46 pm

I just cast this grouping and included two models printed with MadeSolid Black. The two spherical pieces were printed with Black about a year ago.
All the other models in the grouping were printed with 1:1 Mix.
If anybody sent me models in B9 Black, I could include them in these tests.
I'm casting bronze to try to learn how to do this. This is only my third flask.
Attachments
IMGP7783.JPG

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 1157

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#7 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:42 am

I did an entire flask of MadeSolid Black models. They came out 98-99% good but with with deal killing porosity for my needs.
The smaller pieces did better, some were perfect. So its close, but not practical for me.
If I was doing a collection that was more "organic" and could tolerate or even get enhanced by some slight irregularities, I would try it again.

User avatar
noahbern
B9 Maker
B9 Maker
Posts: 374

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#8 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:32 am

Get me an address I have a heavy ring, I will send it today.


lswatson wrote:I did an entire flask of MadeSolid Black models. They came out 98-99% good but with with deal killing porosity for my needs.
The smaller pieces did better, some were perfect. So its close, but not practical for me.
If I was doing a collection that was more "organic" and could tolerate or even get enhanced by some slight irregularities, I would try it again.

User avatar
akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 2034

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#9 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:42 am

lswatson wrote:I did an entire flask of MadeSolid Black models. They came out 98-99% good but with with deal killing porosity for my needs.
The smaller pieces did better, some were perfect. So its close, but not practical for me.
If I was doing a collection that was more "organic" and could tolerate or even get enhanced by some slight irregularities, I would try it again.


you are casting in bronze right?
you can't expect metal surfaces or content to be completely free of porosity using bronze.
you should be testing in either gold or silver. It doesn't look like you need anymore practice.
your castings are coming out complete.
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 1157

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#10 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:39 pm

I am casting only bronze now, as I'm just learning. So far the only screw ups have been operator error or the porosity I get with the Black resin. All my other castings with 1:1 mix are virtually perfect.
If bronze is not supposed to cast flawlessly, it is misbehaving and doing so. : )
I will try my first pour of silver probably next week.
I'm getting enough bronze pieces together to send off to a tumbling media co for recommendations. I have
an ancient flow through tumbler with 3 pretty large tubs.
Very happy with the casting results so far. Feels like a game changer.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 1157

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:41 pm

noahbern wrote:Get me an address I have a heavy ring, I will send it today.


lswatson wrote:I did an entire flask of MadeSolid Black models. They came out 98-99% good but with with deal killing porosity for my needs.
The smaller pieces did better, some were perfect. So its close, but not practical for me.
If I was doing a collection that was more "organic" and could tolerate or even get enhanced by some slight irregularities, I would try it again.


I sent a PM. I look forward to trying it.
L

User avatar
Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 1286
Contact:

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#12 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:08 pm

Hey Larry,
I cast B9 resins in Bronze for models daily..... no issues with porosity unless the resin is not cured enough.
I have been using bronze for models for 30++ years( been casting for 47 years)....why waste money on precious metals... Bronze works very well for models and production.
It has a higher melting point then silver or gold ( 1950-2000oF) so it is excellent to work on/ solder to and add parts to. Molds well in heat cured silicone... Polishes nicely. When doing multiple solder joints, you do have to pickle in between to get the best results.

PS your reinforced platform should go out on Monday.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard
Posts: 1157

Re: Casting Black Resin

Post#13 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Metalcaster wrote:Hey Larry,
I cast B9 resins in Bronze for models daily..... no issues with porosity unless the resin is not cured enough.
I have been using bronze for models for 30++ years( been casting for 47 years)....why waste money on precious metals... Bronze works very well for models and production.
It has a higher melting point then silver or gold ( 1950-2000oF) so it is excellent to work on/ solder to and add parts to. Molds well in heat cured silicone... Polishes nicely. When doing multiple solder joints, you do have to pickle in between to get the best results.

PS your reinforced platform should go out on Monday.


Thank you for the platform Daniel. Excited to get it and see the V1.1 print glass again.

I think bronze has a future in my life. My B9 resin models have cast flawlessly. The bronze we got from Rio is supposed to allow for vitreous enamel. Something my wife does extraordinarily well.

Return to “B9R-2-Black”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Close Menu Shop Forum