New Resins

Official news and updates
Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

New Resins

Post#1 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:22 pm

I see we have new resins in the B9 store.

Green and yellow are of interest to me.

Any body have any experience with casting the new resins.

Which one should I try?

Are they similar just different colors?

Exciting times!

Michael
Matrix 7.5, Zbrush 4r7, Minitech minimill 2, B9 Creator V1.2

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: New Resins

Post#2 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Yes, These are great resins.

I have cast with both of them and they work Great. Cast very Clean and the Yellow Leaves absolutely no ash.

Buy some and try it out
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

Devlin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:45 pm

I definitely will, I am thinking the yellow. is it sharper than Cherry? 20 microns is great

I just picked up a bottle of Cherry, this stuff goes along way. Any information on shelf life?

You know a small sample size of resin would be great. One vat amount. Trial size!
Matrix 7.5, Zbrush 4r7, Minitech minimill 2, B9 Creator V1.2

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Great that the new resins are out. Been printing with the green for over a week at 25 and 30 microns. The color is great for seeing details. Casting is a breeze, pure white plaster after burnout. Great castings. Like the fact that the green only needs a little stir when sits for hrs or a day or two.

Fernando and myself were both beta casters and had really good results. Hard to cast items like large signet style stuff with text and details cast great with both the green and the yellow.

Some of the text on the shoulders have elements as small as .35mm, and so do the graphics. Green and yellow castings in sterling silver scrap. Reg burnout, only added the vent to blow out and test for ash. Didn't see any after burnout. Cast using SatinCast 20. Just cast, placed in the ultrasonic with pickel in a bag to remove paster residue (not tumbled). Larger ring weighs approx. 20 grams with solid sholders and top. I was very impressed with the quality of the castings. The text actually has no draft, which was a real test, especially since I used SatinCast.

Pictures 1 and 3 are green resin, and 2 and 4 are yellow resin castings. The bulldozer and the paving machine came out great.

Green resin 1.jpg
Yellow resin 1.jpg
Green resin 3.jpg

Robert Howle
Yellow resin 3.jpg
Dance like nobody's watching!

cm3d
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Are there print profiles for these resins ready to download. Love to give some a shot...even though we are selling our printer.

fcort
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Cm3D,

I know that you will really love the Yellow resin. Email me and I can ship you a small sample piece to give to your caster.

Best,
Fernando
Red Door Distributions
www.reddoordistributions.com
619-564-6698

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#7 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:06 pm

There will be catalogue defaults for both of the new resins by the time orders are delivered. Watch for post by Mike.

Robert Howle

akgold
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#8 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:18 pm

Robert Howle wrote:There will be catalogue defaults for both of the new resins by the time orders are delivered. Watch for post by Mike.

Robert Howle

did anyone test it on the 1.1 machines?
Can we use it on the 1.1 machine?
I'm so far behind I think I'm First !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#9 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:36 pm

This is for all b9 machines. As with all default materials the software upgrade will adjust for version of machine (v1.1 or v1.2) and selected resolution and z slice thickness. If the settings for the 1.1 are not in the initial upgrade, I'm sure Mike will get that done too, if not already done. The only real difference between the 1.1 and the 1.2 is some mechanical stuff and the energy output of the projector, so it's just a question of exposure settings and the behing the scenes settings in the materials entry. Mike takes care of all that with extensive settings testing and printing.

This is really good stuff. I really like it.

Robert Howle

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#10 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Nice ^^ I'll have to pick up some Yellow resin soon as I'm almost out of Red/Cherry. Do the new resins still require curing parts in UV light after printing?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:49 pm

Yes, and same methods work for both. I cast them with heat curing with no changes to my tech. If a print smells like resin, then it's not cured. This is a really good test for curing. The "smell test".

Robert Howle

travisjohnson81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:54 am

Are both able to sit in the vat with minimal stirring before print?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#13 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:21 am

I'll put together a more detailed post later today.

Short answers for now:

We'll release new settings by end of day. If your printer computer is connected to the internet you will get an automatic update (the preferred method). If not, you will be able to download a file we provide, go to the Materials Catalog, and import that file. You will need v1.8.0 of the software to use these new settings.

Yellow can sit "forever" and you shouldn't need to stir it. Green may settle out a small amount, but we've not been stirring it except for moving the vat a few cycles and and letting the sweeper do it's job.

Yellow should have zero ash in a normal burnout, Green might a small amount but still a huge improvement over Cherry.

I like Green because I can easily see the detail in the printed object, Yellow is translucent and it's harder to see it.

Printing at 30Z with both Yellow and Green is faster than with Cherry.
Slicing at 20 Z with Yellow looks great, but of course increases the print time.

A lot of folks have been working very hard on this for over 6 months and we are excited to release it!
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

jljr99
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:31 am

Mike you sound excited about these resins. I couldn't be happy for you guys.

I just purchased yellow, can't wait to try it. What about expansion during burnout? I had issues with close parts, mostly engravings, expanding in burnout and breaking the investment between those parts.

Burnout - is there a burnout schedule (times, temps and ramps)?

Congrats on the advancements. Good work b9 people.

perpetual_dreamer
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#15 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks for the info Mike. Any suggestions on post print UV curing times? I currently leave my prints in a UV nail polish lamp for about 5 hours. Would the Yellow or Green resin cut down those times?

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:04 am

All sounds great! Congratulations to the B9 Crew.
How do exposure times compare to 1:1 Mix?
I look forward to using up what I have and buying some.
L

travisjohnson81
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#17 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:58 am

I just ordered both. Looking forward to trying them out. I have been primarily using 1:1 mix. Never got very good results when I tried cherry, so I just stuck with what worked

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Post#18 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:31 pm

Made a couple of announcements about the resin and settings. If you run v1.8.0 of the software right now you should get an automatic update that will bring in the new resin settings.

Info: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4116

Settings: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4118
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#19 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:38 pm

You will be happy with the print times. Comparable to the 1:1 times or less. I have been an advocate of the 1:1 mix for almost 2 yrs. Right now I am exclusively printing with Emerald green. Will be printing and casting with yellow as soon as I can get some. If things continue to be as good as they have been, It might be a long time before I go back to the 1:1 unless it's just for prototypes, like my black.

Robert Howle

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#20 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Auto update worked great and only took about 10 seconds total.

Return to “Official News and Updates”