Introduce Yourself

Official news and updates
mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Introduce Yourself

Post#1 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Tell us a bit about yourself and your plans for the B9Creator.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

dansokol
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 am

Mad Science! Prototyping, experiments, playing with polymers, etc.

Looking to see what can be done.

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#3 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:50 am

I'm a 3D artist, I hope someday to make model kits but for the time being I'm working on my own projects. Mostly it'll be used for making parts that will then be cast, but I like the idea of being able to print new parts to augment existing model kits and make them better or more accurate.

With this thing I think it's possible to get amazing quality for a low cost. Comparing to printing options today it looks like the Projet 3500 has the highest quality at 1600z 750x/y resolution, the B9 has been tested at 1016z 507x/y and is potentially capable of going to 2500z 1000x/y which would beat the stats of the Projet machine. I'm hoping at those stats it would result in much better quality than the Projet--the ideal situation would result in quality close to an injection-molded piece so you can get extremely fine detail.

Already we can probably get to 2500z by using a different resin, the 1000x/y could be reached by either adjusting the current projector to be closer or by modifying the printer to use a 1080p projector. Both are possible so I hope that people will be experimenting with those methods once they get their hands on the printer kits.

Anachron Games
Lurker
Lurker

Introduce Yourself

Post#4 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:48 am

I'm an engineer and 3D modeler. Like darthviper, I plan on making model kits using the machine, specifically 15mm scale wargame figures. However, I think the build volume, material cost and properties, and level of detail are sufficient to do low production runs directly using the machine itself. This lets you create single-part models that go beyond what's capable using casting or injection molding, which I intend to take advantage of. I wasn't part of the kickstarter though, so I'm very eager to hear news about open ordering!

Chooch
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#5 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:35 am

Hi I'm Brian, I can't wait to start playing with my B9 creator! First figuring out what it's limits are, then using it to make mold ready or near mold ready prototype parts. This is an exciting time and I've got work already stacking up for it.

osarusan
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#6 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Hi all, I'm Matt, an illustrator living in Japan.

I'm another model enthusiast hoping to make some nice wargaming projects as well as other diorama pieces. Nice to see there are some others here with similar hobbies. Let's share models and advice!

aceyuan
Lurker
Lurker

Introduce Yourself

Post#7 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi, I'm Bing from China. I've been watching different 3D printing technologies for some time. B9Creator is really an exciting project. For the first time, it gives me a hope that an affordable 3D printer can be used for serious purpose.

Thanks Michael, I can imagine the efforts behind of yours and your team, so that B9Creator could be shown to the public with the amazingly mature design.

benmisenar
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#8 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:19 am

Hello,
I'm Ben Misenar, professional gaming miniature sculptor. You can see my work at my website www.freelancesculptor.com I've been working in the industry for a little over 5 years now.

Looking forward to seeing what the B-9 Creator can do. I know a few of my clients will be very interested in picking up their own machines if I can road test my own with good results.

Suijin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#9 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:10 pm

Hey Joe here,

Looking to do mostly wargaming stuff also. I am an EE, so not afraid of some mods or trying to get better performance out of it. I tend to get busy doing too many things and not get too much accomplished. i'll have to see what I can do with this printer.

DennisH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#10 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:46 am

Hello everyone,
Im a 3D Artist that has a desire (like many of you!) to feel my artwork. I see 3D printing as a way to essentially bridge the tactile gap we have been experiencing as polygonal artists. FDM printers always lacked what i was looking for as far as details go...Then as I was looking up various 3D printer kits I (I feel lucky) stumbled upon Mikes kickstarter campaign for the B9 creator. Reading the comments as well as taking advice from a very tech savy brother was all it took to completely make my mind up. Im first and foremost an artist and 3D printing does challenge me to take on new tasks...Ive always been fortunate to have a family of computer geeks and aficionados. (My dad purchased one of the original P.C's!)
Im moving into gaming as the poly count climbs and the all around gaming community opens up into indie and freelance work. I see printing characters for and from these games as a huge opportunity as well as all the other things we have and havent thought up yet!
I also work directly next door to a glass blowing facility where I hope to collaborate with these extremely talented artists working with an amazing medium! Ideas to implement and even accent both our mediums have been conjured up...The possibilities seem quite endless when one considers reverse engineering the shapes of the finalized glass pieces and design prints from there.
Im looking forward to painting in detail multiple sectioned prints as to create as large of a final piece as possible as well!
My work can be found at
http://dharrounmodels.blogspot.com/

johndavidgrimes

Introduce Yourself

Post#11 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Mostly here because I have been following 3d printing since its inception and only now find myself in a position to buy one. Job well done. Right down to the limit switches everything has been well thought out so I believe congratulations are in order.

Interests include 3d modeling, animation, nonlinear video editing, printing, casting, fishing, chess, 3d scanning, cycling and a lot of other stuff too.

Vocations: Janitor, machinist, Machineshop Foremen, Soldier, Sailor, Graphic Designer, General Manager, Prepress Manager, Prepress Technician... Not much for 56 years

I am wondering when will the kit be available for general population and is it possible with a higher resolution, modified DLP projector to increase the build size and maintain the resolution.

ferret7

Introduce Yourself

Post#12 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi All,
I'm a "Rapid Prototyping Engineer" here in Silicon Valley. I've been doing the 3D Scanning / 3D Modeling / 3D Printing since 2005 (I acquired the first few Dimension SST1200 in the Bay Area and one of the 1st run NextEngine 3D Scanners back) I have managed to turn my 3D passion into a company that is starting to really take off. With the addition of the B9Creator to my "Tool Chest" I will be able to offer fine resolution 3D Printing that many of my clients desire for "finished" marketing prototypes.

Best regards,
-jay-
Zip-Bit, Inc.
Rapid Prototyping Engineer / Owner

UGUSILVA
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#13 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi there Makers,

I'm a product_Industrial Designer & developer, following the rampant development in the low-cost Desktop 3d printing technology. I plan to use the B9creator mainly for building & testing my own products, i own 2 FDM printers (a Makerbot cupcake and a rep-rap Mendel) but they don't really fulfill the resolution i crave for ^^' (not to speak the amount of time i took to debug them).
Hope we can all together develop this technology much further and can't wait to start testing it "in loco".

Greets...

Hugo

PeteWood
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#14 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:08 am

I am a teacher of Engineering and Design & Technology, in London. I am a big fan of CAD/CAM and have just completed all new schemes of work, for my students, based around the B9Creator.

All my students, aged 11 to 16, will be learning SolidWorks and ArtCam for the first time, come September - and then, manufacture their creation....!!

I have just persuaded the school to buy a laser cutter, CNC routers, lathes, and casting equipment - and, in exchange, I have paid for the B9Creator. So it is an exciting time, for a school that is determined to move into the 21st century.

I am also a mentor for student DT teachers in London - and it is my hope, and desire, that all schools in the UK will follow my example (and buy their own B9Creator). In the meantime, I intend to share 'our' 3D printer with any school which is thinking of purchasing a quality, yet reasonably priced, 3D printer.

So, if you are in UK education, and want a demo, drop in for a visit at St Thomas The Apostle College (the kettle is always on).

Pete

cncrail
Lurker
Lurker

Introduce Yourself

Post#15 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:36 am

hello I'm an Italian, I'd like to build the jewelery and parts of model trains to use the model in wax. I hope to buy b9 I am passionate about cnc and I have a Proxxon MF70 CNC

Arjay

Introduce Yourself

Post#16 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 am

Hi! I'm also a 3D artist from Canada, I'm hoping to be able to use the B9Creator to bring my 3D stuff to life so I can make molds and cast. I have several ideas but 15 mm wargaming stuff is what I'm starting with.

camusfung
Lurker
Lurker

Introduce Yourself

Post#17 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 am

I'm an designer and 3D modeler, I love to create some creatures and jewelry model for hoppy use.
Since I'm living in Hong Kong cannot being a part of the kickstarter, so I'm very love to hear any news about the open ordering.

dragnink
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#18 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Hi all, I'm from the U.S./East Coast. Planning to use my B9 for studio/scale modeling projects but hope to find some clients to keep my machine running often. Currently I'm setting up a space for it and considering mounting a Raspberry Pi to it along with a small LCD screen so it can handle print jobs itself while freeing up my main system.

Bas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Introduce Yourself

Post#19 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a soldier and parttime model kit designer from the Netherlands. I mostly build 1/35 military figures and accessory. I hope that the b9creator could help to bring my designs into production.

nerziego

Introduce Yourself

Post#20 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:53 am

Hi folks,
I´m an Italian engineer who lives in Brazil.
My objective is just to play with 3d printing and 3d scanning.
I´m going to buy a kinect too.

Return to “Official News and Updates”