MakerJuice and B9R-1 hybrid. Nice results.

Post photos of your Creations!
tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#1 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:28 am

Well. I decided to try this combination. Mixed up, shaked well and... added even more (that makes something like 1-2 ml (can't say any precisely) per 100 gr of resin) pigment (this time it was black, in addition to original red already mixed in in B9R1 and blue and yellow in my 38Z mixed MakerJuice) to my mix.
Look like it makes nice combination bringing to best qualities of this different resins. Extreme amount of photoinitiator in MJR (MakerJuice Resin - from now on I'll call it like this to avoid confusions with MJ - Mike Joyce :) ) makes even "slow" B9R-1 work as a sprint horse - I tried so far T-base/t-over 3/2 (that was likely overkill) and 2/2 and that worked fine for 50XY and 38Z. Looks like I can lower it to mine "original" MJR values - 1.5/1.5.
Also it makes less damage to PDMS and it is more viscous than MJR - that's good for holding pigments afloat and creates less spillage, while still maintaining nice breathe times (2-4) without any bubbles! Perfect balance!

So here goes his majesty Yoda! Note that even his ears are complete and without supports. I used only one support, but looks like it should be fine even without it. As usual - that is 50XY, 38Z raw model from the printer (except alcohol cleaning, drying and UV curing).

Also note my new "character" in the "scale drama" - "the Pencil"! :) He will make nice fit to the ol'good microSD card.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:30 am

Always hoped to do nice print of Yoda. And I'm really glad that it worked from the first time! :)
May the good resin be with you! :)

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#3 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:35 am

Next... here comes some random Saint!
Actuall story from Artec3D (http://www.artec3d.com/gallery/3d-models/ you should scroll down and click "Show All Models (11)" )
Scan of a statue by Nanni Di Banco "St. Eligius", plaster cast. Original in Or San Mikelle church in Florence.

Closed the holes in the model with Meshlab's Poisson surface reconstruction method and here it come in all it's glory!

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#4 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:38 am

Personally I love the details of his hands, book (on the previous photo) and clasp on the chest.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#5 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:41 am

Next one is your ordinary everyday gyroid. :)
While it is printed just fine looks like it should be way bigger to really impress. Now it looks from the distance like some sponge[s]BobSquarePants[/s] for cleaning :)

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#6 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:46 am

And the last, but hope not least is skul. Yes, it's human skull model from the MRI scan. Hollowed version.
Personally I'm not impressed - there is no fine details in the original model which our printer can reveal.
But love the last photo - like a poster to some Sci-Fi trash film like "Attack of killer-pencils!" or "Last man on Earth and... the Pencil." xD

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#7 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:58 am

Tim can you post the amount of B9-Red you mixed with the MJR?
It looks like 1-2 ml B9 to 100 grams of MJR?
I can't be sure from your post.
I'm trying the MJR and getting no prints (just base layer and supports) and burning up the PDMS. Over and over.

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:10 am

Wow, that's very impressive. This formula+ a 1080p projector would be incredible.

Centaur
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:02 am

That's some seriously impressive detail there!

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#10 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:35 am

Really great work.
I particularly like the little hairs in Yoda's ears.
At my house that would be atmospheric cat hair.
What's the height of your models and build time?

b26354
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:00 am

Cool - just ordered some makerjuice and I'll be trying a similar mixture :)

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#12 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:21 pm

lswatson,
oh, sorry - forgot to mention this. It was planned to make 1:1 ratio, but in fact there is slightly bigger amount of B9R-1. If I'm not mistaken it's 75 grams of MJR and 80-85 grams of B9R-1. I bought culinary set of non-transparent cans with caps and digital chinese scales with resolution up to 0,1 gram and that is just what one would need to make some nice experiments with mixing (apart from some other resins and pigments of course :) ). I even want to try to mix it (resin) with some ink from ordinary 2D inkjet printers. Why not? Pigments in this ink should be really tiny. I hope that will work.

1-2 ml is the approximate amount of pigments used. Pigments are standard MJR (ordered from their site).

As I said earlier - try to lower exposure values, mine are 1,5/1,5 seconds for t-base and t-over on 50XY and I see that it can be lowered even further! Also lower the initial overcure - I'm using right now only 6 seconds for 2 layers out of 13-16 (on 38Z)

Yep, that's cats hair in my house too :)

Yoda's height is around 27 mm, Saint - 47mm, gyroid - 20mm, skull - 33 mm. I always placing some real world object to scale easily, or that not helps? Maybe I should try some other objects or vantage point?

darthviper-107,
Yep, thanks. I also think that 1080p mod will be a perfactory/solidscape killer :)
I also found that it's really ALMOST ONLY a matter of pigment/dye amount that makes all this detail. Except of course the resolution of projector :)

Centaur,
Thanks.

b26354, oh my god - I don't want to make some advertising here :) I only encourage all of you not to stop the experiments with chemistry/settings on which our machine is dependent. Our community is like big R&D department out there. And I believe that can be made even bigger/better/awesome! :)

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#13 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:36 pm

Meet the Cat (Garfield) - mightiest donor of the hair to all of my models! :)

UPD: Oh my god - where is all the photos? :(

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#14 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks Tim, for the information. Having bad luck here with a print. Previously worked fine, now nada. I get the base and supports, then nothing.
My Norwegian forest cat is a generous hair donor in our house. He was 22 lbs at 18 months.
Keep up the good work.

ah3000mk1@sbcglobal.net
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#15 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

"Awww... Come on, Man..."

I incorporate cat hair as a planned part of all my builds. Randomly oriented, random-length, straight and spiraled chitinous strands embedded in a polymer matrix... we B9C+cat owners are doing fiber reinforced composite engineering! Bet you didn't know that. Is anyone from DARPA reading this?

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#16 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:49 am

I'm definitely a cat hair matrix printer.
I'm sure DARPA is all over the B9. Not that they need to save money, but I bet they know a good machine when they see one.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#17 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:08 am

I also had some thoughts about reinforcing resin with hair :) But not actually - with a fishing line. Will that work, what do you think? :)

Burnsjt
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#18 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:06 pm

The prints look fantastic!
I want to start testing with your formula, but before I purchase the resin I have some questions...
Are you using the SubG+ and if not do you think it would effect the settings or the outcome?
Also would you buy the resin with or without the pigment, and does the color have any effect?

Thanks
Jay

zanderscreations
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#19 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:57 pm

That is some really really impressive detail from this machine! I am really excited about this machine. Although I have had hiccups with mine already (as we all have probably), it still rivals machines 10x it's price or more. Different types resins also make it pretty versatile.

Is this resin combo castable? Or is it not for casting...

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#20 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:34 am

I know the Red and Cherry and combos of them are castable. Don't think the Sub-G is but check with Josh at Makerjuice.
Dance like nobody's watching!

Return to “Photo Gallery”