Initial prints 2 year old cherry resin

Post photos of your Creations!
DennisH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Initial prints 2 year old cherry resin

Post#1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello. Its nice to be here again sharing and caring.
I got my new B9 up and running finally. (my v.10 is gonna be used for experimental stuff and possibly long runs for enable or similar groups.)
After a few peeling issues on my initial layers of the 30z30xy cherry test prints I got one to work. It was a combination of msm from 1 to 1.100, Settle from 3 to 4 seconds and holding down slightly the build table for the first few layers... BUT I do suspect once I relevel my build table the default settings will work. Its exact leveling and the exact amount of pressure do seem to be critical and even more so now that thing on this new printer are so fine tuned.
Oh...and this resin was super old! Maybe even 3 years now geez?
[img]
newprintsB9_2016.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
newprintsB9_2016.jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Initial prints 2 year old cherry resin

Post#2 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:47 pm

Very important not to overtighten the screws when doing build table calibration. Can cause a corner to raise when tightening. Check your build table on a flat surface (like mirror or glass) and see if it rocks or is in contact with the flat surface everywhere. Check it with the screws loose and if it's flat check after u calibrate. If u warp it by overtightening u will get areas in the corners that don't attach.

If u can print at the lowest MSM that gives u good prints it will give u the best prints for accuracya and extend the life of the PDMS. If u are casting consider the Emerald Green and the Yellow. Easier casting and shorter exposure times (quicker prints and longer PDMS life).

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

DennisH
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks! I will use the Emerald now that I have it as well as follow that advise. I ultimately want to extend my vats as long as possible. Have we come up with any method for determining how much fog is too much?

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#4 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:48 pm

Failed prints will happen. YOu will learn to judge it by eye. A light fogging should no affect your prints. Move prints around in the build area and avoid the spots where support "dots" appear in the build area.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#5 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:56 am

The only time I have seen light fogging of the pdms create a problem in printing was with items that had extreme detail.Such as millgrain and very tiny bead work... For those type of Items, I switch to a new pdms tray.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#6 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 pm

Congrats on that Dennis! That confirms the theory that B9R resins kinda do not expire.

Regarding PDMS fogging - in general, the lesser details are on print, the less you should worry about PDMS cloudiness. The more intricate, small, sharp and detailed it is expected to be - the more you should keep your eye on it. I usually use PDMS first hand for jewellery and miniatures prints which require a lot of detail and then switch it to a second printer to print bigger simpler items up to point when it becomes completely "dirty" and untransparent. But as said above - just print further and you will understand by yourself. Avoid vertical supports, try to incline them al least a little.

Cheers.

Return to “Photo Gallery”