Differential Geometry Jewelry Models

Post photos of your Creations!
lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Re: Differential Geometry Jewelry Models

Post#61 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:52 pm

Palladium is the tarnish barrier. Dark, grey, reflective.
I thought rhodium was the way to go as nickel carries many negatives. But apparently I am way behind the current technology. Ends up this palladium solution is very user friendly. I use liter beakers for the baths.
My usual suppliers just aren't up to this level or should I say my level, which is beginner/small batches.
Shipped the first batch yesterday, another out tomorrow. Look forward to many more.
I will also be doing a rhodium version as the outer layer for a silver crystalline look.
The samples look very cool.
This system includes a very good electo cleaning step. Not stripping, so they say, so there is no degragation of
the surface to be plated. But it bubbles like hell. Thus the crystalline structure of the surface is maintained. That was quite a sticking point when looking at other systems. Its easy to trash that delicate surface.

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#62 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Yes it is.
I have a bath we dip our brass and/ or bronze into ... leave it for 20 minutes and you get good crystaline structure.Not powered... just a Chemical we buy from Providence Jewelers supply . Usually, we just go about 5 minutes just for brightening purposes.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#63 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:37 pm

I will have to check them out.
My strip dip is 30 seconds.
Foam is at the top of the beaker.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#64 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:58 am

My sculpture "HERE" has been accepted for the "Landmarks" exhibition at Montgomery College, opening in late October. Cast bronze and stainless steel. The central tall part is a triple Enneper that I scale for pendants and earrings. Looking forward to developing the market for larger interpretations.
Printed on my V1.1 with B9 Red, cast and finished by Daniel at Racecar.

http://www.washingtonsculptors.org/callswsg.php
Attachments
Sculpture- HERE II.jpg

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#65 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:23 am

What are the dimentions of this one? Just curious. Beautiful piece. Nice work as always Daniel.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#66 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:02 pm

The print is just under 8 inches.
I printed it summer 2014, to take to a wholesale show.
But I never put it on a base, until the concept of this exhibition was put out there.
I live in the capital of monuments and landmarks in North America. So I thought I'd sort of make light of that.
Sort of "You are here.".......
And it work anywhere, so its a Universal Landmark.

Yes, Daniel did a great job.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#67 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Thanks for the explanation. I get it now.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

Franz
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#68 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:07 pm

lswatson wrote:Palladium is the tarnish barrier. Dark, grey, reflective.
I thought rhodium was the way to go as nickel carries many negatives. But apparently I am way behind the current technology. Ends up this palladium solution is very user friendly. I use liter beakers for the baths.
My usual suppliers just aren't up to this level or should I say my level, which is beginner/small batches.
Shipped the first batch yesterday, another out tomorrow. Look forward to many more.
I will also be doing a rhodium version as the outer layer for a silver crystalline look.
The samples look very cool.
This system includes a very good electo cleaning step. Not stripping, so they say, so there is no degragation of
the surface to be plated. But it bubbles like hell. Thus the crystalline structure of the surface is maintained. That was quite a sticking point when looking at other systems. Its easy to trash that delicate surface.

Hi Larry

I used palladium back in 2008 when cost of rhodium went through the roof. It was ok but not as bright white as rhodium and you had to adjust PH with ammonium hydroxide. Went back to rhodium when it became reasonable to do so.

You may know this but...

You need to plate under very well ventilated hood, perhaps with appropriate respirator as some solutions produce extremely toxic fumes.

Silver will contaminate rhodium. You can plate with gold or something other than silver first.

I change out stainless wire contact with each use as plating flakes from wire into solution.

I change out bath about every 2 weeks.

Been using Midas carbon treatment from Rio grande to recycle dirty solution. Works very well and I have not had to purchase new in some years now.

Regards
Franz

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#69 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:45 am

Hi Franz, thanks for the tips.
The solutions I use produce no noticeable fumes and are non acid. Made for small set ups. I use liter beaker jars for baths. The solutions were suggested by the supplier. Their choices are too complex for someone not familiar with their entire line. Rio sells some of it, but not all. They were pretty clueless on the phone compared to the Legor tech/sales dept.
I really like the rectifier. Amps are set all the way and it delivers necessary amps just by setting volts. All digital and very precise settings with Coarse and Fine knobs. I have to reset volts three times for each batch.
The palladium as a tarnish barrier on the bronze seems to work well. The gold looks 18-22 k over it and maintains the crystalline surface texture.
I haven't done enough to need to replace or clean anything.
In time I will put rhodium over palladium for a "silver" look on the bronze.
I don't expect to plate my sterling.
A friend came over that has been using acid based fumey solutions. He watched me plate some pieces and ordered the same stuff the next day.
So far, so good.

rkundla
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#70 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:12 pm

If it isn't acid based, is it cyanide? I am not aware of any other plating chemistry that doesn't fall into those two camps.

I'd rather use acid over cyanide just from the significant health hazard that cyanide presents.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#71 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:17 pm

I don't know. There are zero detectable fumes when I plate. I stayed away from it when the choices were acid or cyanide. So far so good.
Here is a just plated earring and Tiffany Green patina on bronze. I also do a smoother version of the patina. This one is intentionally rough.
Took a couple of weeks to get this model tweaked. It is very asymmetrical with the outer splines polished and the inner ones not. Now have two weights that print, cast and finish as desired.
Attachments
Earring- Enneper Amphora D Tiffany Green Patina.jpg
Earring- Enneper Amphora D Gold Over Crystalline Bronze.jpg

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#72 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Very nice. both printed or molded?

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#73 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Thank you, Daniel.
All prints. I don't have a mold in the studio. My pet peeve is shooting waxes and correcting for all the
resulting artifacts. I don't mind working hard to get what I want. But I can't stand correcting for poor technique or technology by hand ie flex shaft and diamond/stone/rubber rotary tools.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#74 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:44 pm

After getting told what an idiot I am for not doing rings by a troika of young designers across from me at a show in NY, I thought I'd try a few rudimentary models. Fortunately, they held together long enough to take a picture. Time to work on some shanks that look like something other than cut tubing. Although the one you can't see does have some form to it.
And it was a test of my photo set up.
L to R- Green patina on black patina on cast bronze. Gold over Crystalline Bronze (printed, cast, treated), rhodium over Crystalline Bronze.
The Crystalline Bronze is made using an extended casting process (17 hours) then acid baths to reveal the crystals in the metal. Plating them and preserving that took many months to work out. They kinda sparkle in person. Look splotchy in pictures. They vary wildly as do the patinas.
Printed on a V1.2, 1:1 Mix resin. Vacuum chamber cast in bronze.
Attachments
DSCF6005.JPG

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#75 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:17 am

Hi Larry,
I have a chemical we use to clean our Bronze and Brass before polishing and it does the same thing in about 1 hour . Gives a great crystalline look!

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#76 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 am

Cool.
The combination of acids I use, there are three, only work on one of the three alloys I cast.
Which is fine, as the others do patinas better.

Interestingly, the metals noted in the alloy are not affected by any of the acids. A local metallurgy professor
I consulted with thinks its etching an unlisted metal or a contaminant. Makes no difference to me. The effect of the shimmering crystalline surface is all I need. Maintaining it through pre plate and a good commercial plating thickness took a lot of time for the Italians to work out for me.

It's only about having fun.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#77 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 pm

This is why I love my B9's.
Print, bronze casting tree and proof of concept sculpture on ring mounting.
Probably more to come.

And I love the vacuum chamber casting set up. Rings were sprued at 90 degrees with a single sprue. Very mixed models and 1mm prongs on the mountings all came out.

Thank you, thank you.
Attachments
DSCF8002.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0007.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#78 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Extra nice! ...you seem to have the magic touch in regards to casting 8-)

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#79 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:27 am

Thank you.
I blame the equipment and the fact I follow directions. Except with it comes to spruing.
Zero training. I haven't ever seen anybody cast.
Wish I'd started casting 30 years ago.
More soon.

Edit- I neglected to mention the casting tips Daniel has posted here. Like brake line air injection, venting the furnace, raise the flask, "master" sprue off the main vertical sprue. And probably other stuff. His tips
have helped insure my castings come out.

lswatson
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#80 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:59 am

New rings.
Sterling silver shank with patina bronze sculpture and gold over Crystalline Bronze shank with rhodium over Crystalline Bronze sculpture.
Had to get away from stock shanks. They totally suck.
Attachments
Ring- Triple GBR- Double Enneper RBR.JPG
Ring- Triple Enneper, Concave Ring, Green Patina II.jpg

Return to “Photo Gallery”