Post#62 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:24 pm

Great looking prints, TAJS.
Dance like nobody's watching!

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#63 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:25 am

We're having some trouble with the burnout currently, what sort of kiln are you using? We really need a digital one...if anyone can chime in that they use a Paragon SC-3 and how well it works would be great! That's currently the one I'm looking at.

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#64 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:36 am

Those look great TAJS. Still using the same setting as posted a couple pages back?
"BVW Jewelers using 3D Printing in all our designs." http://www.bvwjewelers.com/

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#65 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:01 am

Quote from bvwjewelers on October 15, 2014, 13:36
Those look great TAJS. Still using the same setting as posted a couple pages back?
Thanks and yes, same settings.

Here is another casting....the rose gold leaf ring and the yellow gold scroll ring were printed models and cast in the same flask with the milled models. 8 hour burnout with satin cast. For me, when I invest the pieces the night before, and burnout/cast the next day yields the best results. I have not had any luck investing and casting the same day.....I also do not introduce any extra air into my kiln as others have.

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#66 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:10 am

...i'm assuming you use new gold too? You were also doing the oven curing for 2 hours @ 350?
With that rose gold what is you elctro melt at and casting temp at..same as the yellow gold?
"BVW Jewelers using 3D Printing in all our designs." http://www.bvwjewelers.com/

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#67 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:15 am

The rose gold was all new gold, the yellow was a 50/50 mix and I melt with a torch using hydrogen and oxygen. Yes, doing mostly oven curing of the printed models...but I did have a large signet ring crack while oven curing.....I posted a pic somewhere on the forum

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#68 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:28 am

Quote from PandaP on October 15, 2014, 13:25
We're having some trouble with the burnout currently, what sort of kiln are you using? We really need a digital one...if anyone can chime in that they use a Paragon SC-3 and how well it works would be great! That's currently the one I'm looking at.

We are using a 30 year old kiln...but good luck ironing out your issues. Why do you think you need a digital one?

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#69 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am

Just to keep the temperatures in line, and exact. Getting a ton of ash issues, the molds visibly still have ash in them after the burnout. We're using a small Neycraft kiln with likely less than optimal airflow and the temperatures are entered manually. Due to the way the shop is set up we have another person doing the casting and investing (hopefully I'll be taking care of it soon) and that might be a problem too....lots to work out!

I've cast the resin myself when I was in school with no issues on a digitally controlled large old kiln, so I think it must be airflow...the main issue is the presence of ash still in the mold.

I suppose I potentially haven't cured it enough as well? That model was cured for 3.5 hours in one of the light boxes many people on the forums have made.

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#70 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:58 am

That does look rough...and it looks like you might have heated the flask up too quickly..... You could try hooking up a kiln-minder to regulate the temps and burnout times. That's what we use. Again, good luck.

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#71 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am

Thanks! I'm confident we'll get it :) What sort of post cure solution do you use? Heat or light?

EDIT: Sorry I just saw what you posted! I'll try oven curing to see how it works!

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#72 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:17 am

Been there...
Look up a post I did on how to get air flow going better. It did help, but one can still have this problem even with good air flow. There are so many things that can cause this....it's hard to say where to start. Look around a bit on casting issues and you will see some common thing we are doing to help fix this problem, then try a new thread with this picture to get the best results and answers to your problems Panda. =)
Hang in there, and don't reuse that gold.

PandaP
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#73 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks! I really like figuring things out (even if they can be frustrating!) so I know that when I do get it, it'll feel like that much sweeter of a success!

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#74 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:24 pm

Quote from bvwjewelers on October 15, 2014, 17:17
and don't reuse that gold.
....I think that the gold is still usable, just mix it with some new gold the next time.

etackett

Recent prints....

Post#75 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:47 pm

Machinist Mate ! Really ?

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#76 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:57 pm

Quote from etackett on October 15, 2014, 18:47
Machinist Mate ! Really ?
It is what the customer wanted....what's the big deal?

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#77 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:05 pm

I only suggested not using "that" gold on the next project to rule out wg being cooked till he gets things dialed in a bit. =)
Do a 60/40 with that gold once you have better castings.

bvwjewelers
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#78 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:10 pm

here is that link on pushing air into the oven too.

http://www.b9c.com/support/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=2122.0

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#79 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:13 am

What a difference tumbling makes :)

TAJS
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Recent prints....

Post#80 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 am

Tried printing one of these lithophanes....but I think I prefer to mill them as there is no "stepping".

Return to “Photo Gallery”