mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:25 pm

This is a beta release for the Windows version of "B9Editor"

Windows installer: http://b9c.com/downloads/SetupB9Editor.exe

B9Editor:
The purpose of B9Editor is to covert slice images to a "Job File" (.b9j)
Multiple image formats are acceptable including .svg
Slice images are "crushed" into a compressed format and stored in the job file.
Slices may be individually edited using simple draw and fill commands.
In support mode, unsupported pixels are highlighted in RED. Simple support structures may be manually placed. These are saved as part of the job file.

It's pretty straight forward, but more documentation will be forthcoming.

This software does not "drive" the printer. A second program, B9Creator, will read in .b9j files and drive the print process.

I'll try to answer any questions, but my primary focus right now is getting the rewards shipped. As time allows I will upload both programs for Windows, OS_X and Linux.

Enjoy!
Mike

PS: If you need software to slice your 3D Models (.stl) I suggest looking into slic3r, it's a great utility! http://slic3r.org/ You'll need to use the .svg output format (not G-Code).
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#2 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:08 pm

Update:
I just uploaded a new version (same link as above) which corrects an issue with the .svg imports created by slic3r. We've also added the ability to import .slc files. "slc" is a Rhino export format used by Rhino and other modeling software such as "Matrix" by Gemvision.
Mike
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#3 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 pm

One more note, I'm working to integrate the B9Editor functionality into B9Creator so that there will only be one software program to run, not two. Thanks to those that emailed their feedback!
Mike
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

cturley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#4 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:26 am

Mike I just received my printer! When will the B9Creator software be available for download?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#5 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 am

We've been focused on getting all the hardware shipped first (to allow time for folks to assemble the kits). Now we are focused on finalizing the software and documentation. We hope to have it uploaded next week. I know it's hard to wait now that you have hardware in hand, but please be patient just a bit longer :)
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

UNRULY
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#6 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Printer is built and staring at me! Looking forward to plugging it in. I assume we'll be able to import a standard .stl file from another 3D package?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#7 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:02 pm

You can plug it in if you like too, just don't install the VAT. If both the power and USB cords are plugged in you can use the toggles to manually position the build table and slide (verifying their operation).

For v1.0 of the software you'll need a "slicer" to create either a .slc, .svg file or a collections of slice images in a directory.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

BurkeLaShell
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#8 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:57 am

It's alive!
[embed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNSyomyP1c[/embed]

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#9 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:10 am

Congrats!
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

cliffbhill

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#10 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Hey Mike,
Tested under Arduino control and the tray & vertical drive great. When the z axis hits either limit switch it stops, but then will not drive in the opposite direction until you manually move off of the stop. Is this normal?

mikej
B9 Moderator
B9 Moderator

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#11 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes, that is completely normal. These limit switches should never be reached during normal operations and are there 'just in case' of a software glitch. I almost removed them from the design because I only hit them two or three times during very early software development.
Measure Twice, Cut Once.

cliffbhill

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#12 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks,
I'm glad you decided to leave them in. They will certainly avoid some crashes once people start messin' with the Uno code. Do they interrupt motor power directly or go through the Arduino?

Suijin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#13 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:02 am

General info to point out the obvious (which I didn't get for awhile):
To "open" .slc and .svg files in the B9Creator you need to select FileImport Images

behold3d
B9 Master
B9 Master

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#14 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:04 am

mike mentioned that this is normal in another thread. he said that the limit switches represent "extremes" which your arm should never hit unless there is an emergency. in that situation you will have to manually turn the shaft to disengage it. hope that helps.

UNRULY
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#15 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm

I love the machine you've built...too bad we can't use it. Can you please give us a date when your documentation will be ready for set-up?

UGUSILVA
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#16 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm having some troubles exporting the job files with the B9Editor, it always adds 000 to the measures area making each layer 10 cm instead of 0.1 mm on the print... is there a way to fix it? I could successfully print the jobs on the samples folder but when i try my own models i get this problem during the "save" process...

Leonardo Meccia
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#17 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:37 pm

when the full version of the software?
I'm excited, I can not wait for more!

darthviper107
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#18 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:43 am

Hey UGUSILVA, when you import your slices, it'll ask for the microns, put in your setting, after it imports it'll have those resolutions listed, input the layer thickness in millimeters, so for instance on mine I was doing 50 micron layers, I put in 50 and then after import I changed it to 0.05

Otherwise it reads it as 50 millimeters instead of microns. When you import the images you can't set it to 0.05 so you have to do it after importing.

Suijin
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#19 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:01 am

I did a custom frame at 100 microns x 75 microns for calibration and importing the .slc to the B9 I had it at .1 mm. It converted correctly when made into a b9j and showed correctly on the projector to the build table.

UGUSILVA
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Beta version of B9Editor

Post#20 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 am

@ Darthviper ... Xuaaaaaaaaaaaakcs!!!! :P

Return to “Installation”