Deep Black testing

General materials & resin discussions
andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Re: Deep Black testing

Post#21 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:36 pm

some more testing in smaller scale to determine better the optimal base exposure/material settings for
xy30_Slice 50
Photographs are taken through the magnifying glass

Einstein bust has 1,1 cm height

CLOSE UP_EINSTEIN

Lighthouse has 3,5 cm height

Close UP_LIGHTHOUSE

Metalcaster
B9 Wizard
B9 Wizard

Post#22 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Very nice detail!

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#23 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:42 pm

cool prints andreas. Now if you tweaked your zaxis and xaxis maybe checked the golden arm setup u would have smoother results.

evshipard
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#24 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:57 pm

Hi Andreas,
Why wouldn't you slice the prints at 30? Would this finer resolution eliminate the stepping?

Panastation, what is the best way to make sure the golden arm is operating optimally? I've had problems in the past and continually check that the set screw is secured. Mine has developed a bit of a noise but only during the initial few layers then it sounds fine. I've been running the machine for about 2 weeks printing every day. On my last order I grabbed a replacement motor just in case.

I've just installed the new vat and will try emerald at 30microns, however I'm keenly following this Deep Black process.
cheers,

Ev

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#25 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Beautiful prints. Love the small details.

Keep us posted.

Robert Howle
Dance like nobody's watching!

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#26 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:52 am

evshipard
Why wouldn't you slice the prints at 30? Would this finer resolution eliminate the stepping?

I print at 50z so it is as fast as possible.
The purpose is to determine the optimal material and exposure settings ,using the Deep Black resin with an MSM of 0,8-0,9.
so a lot of trial an error is needed.

when i am happy with the settings and have consistent results,
then i will start slicing thinner and also use slow vat speeds and high resin settle times
to finish fine tuning the resin and exposure settings according to my needs..
This will eliminate the stepping we can see now..
i dont think its z banding ,rather than build lines
dont forget that its just 1 cm height!!

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#27 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Hi andreas

I have seen some of your other prints they are very cool. I know you cover prints with a base paint and that really helps with lines . But i see that u get 2 many lines showing up on your prints...your printer seems slightly off .. i dont have many tiny faces printed but i did print one in 2014 when i was testing cherry at 30z 50 slice 5hr print--- printer is well calibrated....anyways keep up the good work..

[url]Image[/url]

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#28 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 am

Hello guys,

Below are photos of a new project i am starting..

This is a test print in XY30_Slixed50 using Deep Black resin.
as you can see its really nice BUT i am still having some layer shifting.
not much ..if you look closely (specially in the profile)you can see 4-5 lines across the model..

the golden arm is perfectly centered,alignment is ok,i have also open the motor ,cleaned everything and re lubricate so its not skipping..the slicing also is ok
Can this be caused by the build table???
i really want to get on the bottom of this ..
any feedback is appreciated

if this guy was alive he could help i think !!

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#29 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Where were your supports on this model?

Robert Howle

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#30 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:46 pm

Hi andreas
Very nice z sculpting :arrow:
Just speculating here**the prob cause is that the golden arm is working smoothly in the first 3 bolts from the bottom up. Then as it reaches the 4th bolt upwards the nut hits the rod causing the layer shift in your prints. You must make sure the golden arm slides up and down without touching... from the bottom all the way to about the 6 th or 7th hole of zaxis rail**counting from bot*. The rod on the xmotor is very fragile and if it has been printing not setup right then its bent and will wobble more than it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6tjqDGlpAw

this is how you should setup the golden arm before you do the final assembly.

In my case my zaxis motor came with a tilt from factory and i got a replacement. I have not had issues ever since. I do get visible lines and woodlike veins in my prints but they dont break the surface ...and will easily be removed. Thats why i asked you if you had calibrated everything ..i can see u added a glass to the build table but i dont think thats the issue.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#31 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Robert,
I do not think its a support problem cause nothing was detached when it was finished.
I am attaching below the support layout to take a look

Panastation
the prob cause is that the golden arm is working smoothly in the first 3 bolts from the bottom up

i think that this must be the case.
I am noticing that as i am printing taller objects ,i can see some shifting.
so i think i need to re calibrate the golden arm so it run smooth ALL the way of the z-axis.
Can you think of any way to stabilize the top end of the zaxis?

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#32 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:06 pm

i just checked the golden arm from top to bottom and it runs through perfectly..
What else could it be?

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#33 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:14 pm

losen the screws on the arm...and while turning the switch up or down try the flush test. Until you find the spot where it touches.

Andreas the utmost top of the zaxis rod always will wobble very slightly. Thats why u have to make sure the golden arm is running smooth from bottom to about that 7th bolt. This is what really maters. Also for a print like that you are raising it 2 much of the base. 3.5mm should be enough and also give it a slight rotation 15% so the models nose points abit upwards. That will save you 50min and some resin.The b9 software has some cool features i think most people overlook one of them is the preview of the slicing on models. That way u can place heavy supports where they are needed and smaller easier to cut filler supports on model so it does not move during printing.

I have an injured right hand--- :arrow: so i wont be working in my shop for some time :( .
I will make a video just in case people havent noticed it****** :| i have lots of free time.

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#34 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:23 pm

hmmm i had that happen to me once because i did not put the 2 screws that secure the vat in place. so as the vat moves from side to side it was being shifted as the buildtable released. No other explanation...also got similar results when lights went out and i had to continue a print from where it had stoped.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#35 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Panastation,

sorry to hear about your hand..

regarding suports
i can not rotate my models ,cause they are big and want to take in advantage all the z i can.
Regarding the golden arm is moving freely all the way.
i am not checking by putting the printer in horizontal position (like your video),
but in vertical as it will be printing.
Last edited by andreas on Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#36 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Panastation, sorry about your injury. If I can be of any help please let me know.

Robert Howle

panastation
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#37 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:57 pm

thanks guys il be fine just weeks of rest.
Andreas remember the zaxis screw turns so as u move up and down the switches the screw will not be in same pos. An unbent zaxis screw will still wobble at top slightly but it will not touch the golden arm nut in test. But a slightly bent screw will apear to be working fine in one position but once you move it up or down it will hit the backlash nut. Try moving the switch up and doing the golden arm test.. if that passes then move the switch down and see if it works. In that video i posted the golden arm seem to work fine but the problem came whith the rotation of the screw and the moving up and down of the arm during printing. I dont know if i am explaining this the right way im terrible writer....ahh and you dont have to lay machine down just detach the golden arm and move the nut up and down with swicth and see if somewhere alone the way golden arm touches it. This way u will be able to determine if you have bent screw.

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#38 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:07 am

yes i understand what you are saying.
in my case it runs through the hole al the way up and down ,with no contact at all.
i dont know hat else to try..
i think a linear actuator would be much better/

m0delista
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#39 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Amazing results Andrea ! you can share all your settings ?

andreas
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#40 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Below are some photos of the finished prototype ..
Deep Black resin using standard B9 Black Resin profile
MSM 0,9,Layers 2500,Sliced_30 ,using FEP.

i have removed supports ,finished the surface with really fine 1500 grade sandpaper and primed with grey primer MOTIP.
There are still some surface imperfections that i would like to correct

i would keep this prototype and do another print with same settings but this time SLICED_20 so i can compare both afterwards..

Thats the first prototype that i do with Deep Black resin..Really happy so far..
great resolution capability,minimal light bleed,really short exposure times,
Highly recommended for model/toy/figure makers that want a high res non castable resin.

Return to “General”