Resin Shrinkage or Z-Banding

General materials & resin discussions
austindecent@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Resin Shrinkage or Z-Banding

Post#1 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:44 pm

I've been having some consistency issues with the G+ resin from Makerjuice and I was wondering if anyone had ideas.

I'll start by saying that I have the upgraded shaft bearings, and the z assembly has been broken down, cleaned, greased, and reassembled evenly.

My test model is a 30mm high bust of Beethoven. I printed 4 models back to back in decreasing layer thicknesses.

The model seemed to print fine at a layer height of 76.2 microns and gets progressively more squashed as the layer height decreases. Exposure times were 4/1 seconds base/over for the 76.2 and 101 micron models, and 3/.5 seconds for the other two.

To test one idea, I took the model and doubled only the Z height to print at 38 micron layers, but the model turned out nearly as squashed as the original 38 micron model.

I kept going under the assumption that anything more than 76 micron layers would be fine, but ran into more issues with the next object.

The first 12 sided di I printed at 101 micron layers was short by 4mm. To get something I could compare, I printed it again at 76 micron layers and the height had decreased to 8mm too short.

I'm not sure what to do at this point to ensure consistency. Any help would be appreciated.
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0021 (1).JPG
IMG_0019 (1).JPG
IMG_0020.JPG

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Re: Resin Shrinkage or Z-Banding

Post#2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:59 pm

U have Z axis binding looks like to me. Move the build table down towards the vat and then turn the z screw with your fingers. See if u feel resistance. May have over tightedned the screws on the gold collar. You only need it tight enough so the linear bearings don't fall out.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Re: Resin Shrinkage or Z-Banding

Post#3 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:27 am

Also could it be that your Z-axis motor skips some steps. Maybe try to inspect wiring of the stepper and connector to the shield.

Return to “General”