SubG+ Mixtures

General materials & resin discussions
Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

SubG+ Mixtures

Post#1 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:00 pm

I have seen a lot of references to SubG+ and added pigment. While the posts usually mention which color pigment the poster is using, they never seem to indicate which color resin they are using. Are they all more or less equal (and hence the color is never mentioned) or are they referring to the unpigmented resin?

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Re: SubG+ Mixtures

Post#2 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:54 am

Yep. Usually it will not matter, but I found that yellow and red work a little bit better.
Also you can mix colors :) So basically the most important is to find appropriate concentration. This can be made with a series of tests.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:22 pm

Excellent, thank you. I kind of figured that was the case, since the color of the base resin was so consistently never mentioned. But it never hurts to double check.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Another question- where do I find base settings for SubG+? My printer has arrived, and I hope to get it up and running this weekend. I saw one post refer to using the settings on the MakerJuice site, but I can't find anything there. I know you've posted a lot of different settings, but they seem to be for mixtures with pigments added. Which I intend to do, but I'd like to start with base settings for no additional pigment, and figure thins out from there.

Burnsjt
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#5 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:17 am

Hi Bexley,

in response to your question about the MakerJuice site, no they no longer have the settings posted as far as I'm aware of.
when I buy SubG+ I get it unpigmented, I also get some of the MakerJuice pigments( as time said mostly yellow and red, though I have used black in the past ) so I can tune the resin to the exact concentration I want with no guess work in 200ml batches. for my most recent prints I have been using about 4X concentration of yellow for 50XY 50Z printing and that has been working well, however, I still think there is some room for improvement.
As far as settings I don't think I could help you too much as I have a B9 1.1 and it sounds like you have a 1.2HD which has a higher power output and so will through off all the settings.
but perhaps you can uses this as a starting point and tweak as needed.
--- edit --- this is for 50YX 50Z !
2 sec initial
1 sec over
9 seconds base layers
1 sec over base

it would be nice not to have to go through the process of pigmenting the resin, so I'm really looking forward to the new black B9 resin. I hope it is as far, or close to, as fast as the MJ stuff, for the work I do I don't need the burnout quality of the B9 red / cherry resin and for printing larger object the longer print times can really add a lot of hours to your projector. The other thing I don't like about SubG+ resin is that it does not clean up well with just hot water and soup like the B9 resins do, which makes cleaning vats for recoating a bit more of a chore.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:31 pm

I bought the SubG+ Red, and a few different pigment colors to monkey with. I did find another thread that helped a bit, but I'm still unable to find base resin/no extra pigment settings to use as a starting point.

Burnsjt
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#7 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:28 pm

from what I remember back when they had the settings on their site it was( 7 initial 7 over 16 base ) for stock yellow at 100xy 100z - 75z which is what the stock subG+ is tuned for.
Again this is for not only an earlier version of the software but also for the older projector.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:50 am

Got it all assembled, going to try a print tomorrow with the following settings (for SubG+ Red with additional 6ml gray pigment per liter)

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:26 pm

Shockingly, it worked!

They're even pretty dimensionally accurate. One of them is dead on, two are slightly big, two are slightly small. I suspect the center one is the accurate one. I'll have to do some more testing.

Printing again right now, some fancier stuff, with supports. We'll see how that goes.

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#10 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi Bexley, how did you get on with the SubG+ testing? I'm looking to use something similar and have the v1.2 machine

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#11 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:16 pm

Pretty good, actually. I had some issues with tall prints at 50xy/50z, but it appears that it may be due to my build table being a bit warped, and possibly my resin being too heavily pigmented for 50z slices. I haven't had a chance to fix the table yet, but the non-warped area of the build table is over the 30xy print area, so I recalibrated for that, and have had no failures yet. I've been using 30xy/30z as of late, with SubG+ Red with 12ml grey MJ pigment per liter. (I usually mix up 200ml batches, with 2.4ml added pigment.) Once I get time to adjust my build table, I'm going to resume testing at 50xy/50z, as the 30xy area is too small for a lot of the things I'd like to print. (And while I had decent success with 50xy/25z, I'd like to not run prints that take 16+ hours if I don't have to.)

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#12 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:14 pm

Hi Bexley, just caught up with your response! Those prints look very good indeed. Did you have to adjust the default print settings at all after recreating the material in the catalogue? I'm keen to test in 30xy30z and 50xy50z. I've been having very good results with the 1:1 mix but some of my clients require a lighter coloured material, grey being perfect.

I too have recently had issues with a warped build table, thankfully that issue is now resolved. I also followed metalcasters advice and sanded mine down to the aluminium and adhesion is even better now.

Bexley
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#13 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:04 pm

alanbuttler wrote:Hi Bexley, just caught up with your response! Those prints look very good indeed. Did you have to adjust the default print settings at all after recreating the material in the catalogue?

Sort of, but not really. I tweaked the material settings instead, as I wanted to get the settings such that I didn't have to worry about changing things evertime I printed.

I'm keen to test in 30xy30z and 50xy50z.

I've had success printing at 30 xy and 50 xy, but only at 25-30z. My 50 z prints have all failed. This was before I flattened my table, though. It also appears that the hotspot in my lamp was kitty-corner from the areas that were failing, so that likely also contributed. I also suspect I need to use a less pigmented mix for 50z, but I haven't really gone back yet to experiment since fixing my table.[/quote]

I too have recently had issues with a warped build table, thankfully that issue is now resolved. I also followed metalcasters advice and sanded mine down to the aluminium and adhesion is even better now.

I had about a .4mm "high" spot that wasn't touching the vat bottom. Flattening and sanding seem to have fixed that. Once I get the hotspot fully calibrated (just started messing with the printer again yesterday, actually) I should have eliminated most of the reasons for my 50z failures. Either tonight or tomorrow, I will try a tall 50z print again using my current resin, and see how that goes, before mixing up and trying a less pigmented mix. Or, I may just switch to B9 black. The MJ is a lot cheaper, and I prefer the color (especially for photography) but the black is fully tested, and works well at 50z

alanbuttler
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#14 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:21 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Good luck with the 50z tests. I did also think about the black resin but I can't quite stretch to paying almost twice what I pay for 2kg's of 1:1 mix currently.

Return to “General”