Unfinished and warped prints:( HELP

General materials & resin discussions
zaghadesign@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#1 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:02 am

Hello B9 community.
I received my b9 2 moths ago and have had mostly success printing fine delicate models. So i decided to take on my first job. Unfortunately i have attempted to print this two finger ring 4 times now, each time varying the position and support method.
I am using a 1:1 mix 50xy 50z and default cherry settings. have had no trouble with this in the past for my finer models. I need help.

attempt 1 was printed FLAT (horizontally) w supports but the surface attached to supports came out totally warped.

attempt 2 was printed FLAT like the first but without support so the ring itself stuck to the build table, but the ring bowed off the build table and the last 10 or so layers didn't print.

My third attempt was printed vertically like most of the rings on here. But for some reason it warped toward the top of the ring just above the tales supports???!?!?

for my 4th attempt i went back to printing it flat and made my own supports in Rhino so i could keep the model and support material flat on the build table (like my 2nd attempt) but THIS TIME the first few layers came out over cured. the support material seemed to keep it from bowing but the part of the ring attached to the build table had no fillet and covered up my cross hole with cured material. it seemed like it had been over exposed. Otherwise this was my best attempt.

any ideas? for my next attempt i think i'll go vertical again and attempt to to add support material all the way to the top of the ring. although logically, i can't figure out why that would help.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#2 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:12 am

You will need help from users that have experience with third party resins. I have exactlhy none.

Try users like Brumbaer and Tim Yoshi. Send them PM or they may see the thread.

Robert
Dance like nobody's watching!

zaghadesign@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#3 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 am

This IS b9 resin. 1:1 cherry/red 1. I just added some black maker juice die. hasn't caused any problems until i attempted printing this model.

zaghadesign@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#4 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:56 am

Note the first 3 images i posted above are my first 3 failed attempts. below is my 4th filed attempt described in my initial post. and below that is one of my successful attempts. the dark skull was printed with the same mix and settings as the failed rings, 1:1with a few drops of maker juice die added 50xy, 50z and the red skull was just regular red b1 at 75xy,75Z. no problems with either.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#5 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am

Any pigment u add to the resin affects the depth of cure on each slice, and prob other things too. So u have created your own 3rd party, non B9 resin.

Robert

zaghadesign@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#6 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:09 am

Ok. I'll try a couple in original b1 and post my results. Thank you Robert.

tim.yoshi
B9 Master
B9 Master

Post#7 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:38 am

Ok. So you did a lot of mistakes here. Let's clear it out :)

First. Why you mixing 1:1 red and cherry and then add extra BLACK pigment? Are you sure what are you doing and why? :) Do you intend to cast them? Then no black! It's carbon and it's very bad for castings. If you want to achieve better quality then use original cherry. It already contains more pigment so you will not have to add any more. And of course slice thinner - second)

Second. Why you are slicing with such a pigmented mix (yes even 1:1 is quite highly pigmented, not to say you added some pigment) at the WHOLE 50z? It's to high! This exact resin mix will have hard time to curing such deep. So try to slice at 20-30z, or use pure original red with 50-70z slice height. Okay, maybe you could add splash of cherry to red to slice effectively at 50z. But splash (maybe 1:7 - 1:12), not 1:1, and don't add any black pigment.

Third. Never try to print model with such a big flat surface PARALLEL to the build table! Or you will have what you have now. Simple solution is to angle it slightly. Maybe 10 or 20 degree will help. Yes it will add some "staircase", but at least it could be successfully printed. Or try to print it vertically, still with, a lot of supports underneath.

Fourth. I'd add way more supports for such a big and flat part. If you current supports are ok with small models like you printed before, this exact needs way more.

Fifth. Superawesome skulls design! :)

That's all. :)

zaghadesign@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#8 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:54 am

Tim! Thank you! Why you ask, because I'm a newbie:( I'll be attempting this print again tonight with your guidelines. You are really awesome to take the time. If you want a couple of my skulls, send me a message w you address. I'll send them as soon as I figure out how to build in sprues for a perfect cast. :p

zaghadesign@gmail.com
B9 Maker
B9 Maker

Post#9 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

Success!!! Thank you Tim and robert.

Robert Howle
B9 Creator
B9 Creator

Post#10 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:57 pm

Congrats! Tim really knows his 3rd party resins and large prints.

What resolution and slice thickness did u use. What resin? Nice to share for others reading here.

Robert

Return to “General”